• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of Snake Pass (Unreal Engine 4) on Switch, got it running in 1 week.

Cerium

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120840159

Footage starts around the 20 minute mark, they confirm it is the Switch version at around 25 minutes and discuss the system and process of multiplatform development. They're playing with split Joy-Cons.

25:40 - "Just so you know, this is actually the Switch version that we're playing on as well so it's looking pretty darn good to say the least."

27:00 - "Because of how Unreal and Nintendo have been working together for the most part on getting Unreal Engine working on the Switch, we got it at least running in a week, so they say."

28:10 - "The fact that Nintendo are working so closely with Epic, it's great, it's really going to enable and empower a lot of people to get great games on the Switch fast. The idea of new hardware arriving and getting a game up and running in a weekish is previously unheard of, it's very clear that there's been a great working relationship between those two."

Glad people were able to catch it! I was playing it split joycon style when we had it up on stream. We also have more to announce tomorrow as well. :)
Who is actually composing the music in the game? Also, I noticed Noodle (I think that's the Snake's name) now has a voice. Who is it?

Also will the framerate on Switch be a locked 30 by release? It was a bit iffy in the stream.

Thanks for playing it in the stream! :D
We're still optimizing and this was an earlier build I played on stream, but that's what we're aiming for. As for Noodle's voice, it's Tom Clarke Hill. We featured him on an earlier stream when he was doing his voice recordings: https://youtu.be/p7kdGIdZraY?t=3m43s

And you're welcome! The team's done a great job getting it running on the Switch, so it's nice to be able to finally show it off. :)

Looks good.
zFvBebb.png

Port didn't take a week, but the got the game up and running in a calendar week and despite the system itself not being out yet the game is almost finished but it still need some work.
The game looks great on Switch, kind of surprised since it's apparently 1080p. Looking forward to trying it

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I was just watching this video some minutes ago. The game looks really nice. I'm glad that UE4 works so well with Switch.

iFirez

Incredible. Switch will be my go to for a lot of games like Indies and solid ports... Snake Pass will be a day 1 when it's out for me on th Switch.

Port didn't take a week, but the got the game up and running in a calendar week and despite the system itself not being out yet the game is almost finished but it still need some work.
The game looks great on Switch, kind of surprised since it's apparently 1080p. Looking forward to trying it

What's so surprising about it being 1080P? It doesn't look that graphically advanced.

Spy

Unfortunately for Nintendo, unless there's an achievement system on the Switch, I will be passing on 3rd party games. I would already be trading graphical fidelity and framerate against the PS4 Pro.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really impressive that they got it to work in one week. Cant wait to see how DQ XI will look on Switch compared to the PS4 version.

Encouraging news, especially given the recent popularity of UE4 among Japanese developers. The game itself looks pretty good & it'll be nice to play this and Yooka-Laylee on the go.

Yeah, just to clarify, the build we showed on the stream didn't take a week. Like people said above, the team got the game in a playable state in that time frame.

Shifty1897

Switch being ultra compatible with Unreal and Unity is the best business decision Nintendo has made since marketing the Wii to casuals.

SuperMega

Neo Member
Just for the record, a game on Unity can be running on any console hardware in a matter of a couple of days, sometimes even less. At least that's what it took our game to be running on Xbox One from PC.

Obviously, the tough job is making all the platform requirements work properly and that's what takes months.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just for the record, a game on Unity can be running on any console hardware in a matter of a couple of days, sometimes even less. At least that's what it took our game to be running on Xbox One from PC.

So this is hardly news.

This news is more about UE4 running on Switch and that Epic/Nintendo have stepped up their game quite a lot.

Wow that's soo awesome! I love Sumo Digital and the Switch!

It looks the the Switch is going to be a really awesome console! So many cool games are coming out for it!

Litri

These are great news and, provided that Nintendo continues this way, could pose for a bright future.

orioto

Good Art™
Looks really nice, i wonder if it'll be 720p without problem in portable mode, and if devs have to be sure about that first or if we'll have bad surprise ala vita.

Cause 720p games in portable mode will look damn sharp

Top Bottom