• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Induction |OT| This time travel crap, just fries your brain like a egg

Played an early demo of this a while back, was quite impressed. It's an easy recommendation if you're into puzzle games that teach you through experimentation and level design. I found it's implement of time travel and time loops quite unique. Time loops in games is usually just you restarting a level alongside a copy of your previous actions. Induction gets way more complicated than that in how it gamifies loops and time travel.

induction-loop-4.gif

http://www.inductiongame.com/
$9.99 (Steam, Humble, itch.io)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0v7PRcRwIs

Induction is an abstract puzzle game about time travel and paradoxes. As you master its logic, Induction aims to rewire how you think about cause and effect.

Across more than 50 meticulously designed puzzles, you must explore the counter-intuitive possibilities time travel permits. You will learn to choreograph your actions across multiple timelines, and to construct seemingly impossible solutions, such as paradoxical time loops, where the future depends on the past and the past depends on the future.

Played this for about two hours, and it's really good so far. It's very much a "wait a second...if I need this to happen...maybe I can do this...oh shit, it worked" kind of puzzler. A lot of learning by doing, where you want to replay a level you solved a few times to make sure you understand what you did

Played this for about an hour and it seems fun so far. It's done a good job so far increasing the puzzle difficulty so it lets you understand all the basics of time looping without being agonisingly slow. In a weird way it is kinda reminding me of like robot programming games in the way that in most games with time looping you record a past self and then play alongside yourself but can't really directly interfere with your past self. But in this you can and have to, with stuff like how you can push a block in front of the path your past self is taking to force him to push it for you or how you can artificially displace your past self so its preforming its actions at a completely different part of the level. I just realised it is super hard to explain time travel situations with words alone, but if you have played the game what I just wrote totally makes sense (kinda).

If I had to throw out one flaw, I do like the minimalist artstyle but it does make it very difficult to clearly see how all the shape line up in some levels which is important in a game like this.

Top Bottom