• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I didn't know you could shake off zombies in classic Resident Evil

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
For real, I just found this out. I always thought if a zombie grabbed you, that was it. You just wait until the anmimation finishes and stops biting you, and take all the damage dealt. I just learned that you can shake them off manually and minimise the damage you receive. My mind is blown. Shit, I gotta replay these games.

Tain

huhhhhh

idk man, I guess the game never overtly tells you but ever since I first saw RE I saw friends mashing buttons when getting caught. Seems natural.

Why you never mashed the buttons? That's a natural thing to try, and RE games usually gave good feedback it was doing something.

Redd

That's interesting you didn't know that. You can also dodge a lot of them completely in succession in RE3. Loved that game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Whenever stuff like this happens I auto mash. It's ingrained.

Not sure where I learnt it first, but it's fairly standard stuff. Have you never played a game with a similar system OP?

LiK

This is like one of those threads where people played through a game without knowing one of the basic functions.

SexyFish

Banned
Reminds me of my favorite post:
Obviously, this post contains spoilers. I finally got around to finishing GOW 3. Awesome game, and it is freaking gorgeous! I got all the way to the final boss, Zeus. I got to this section where you walk up to him and start beating the living hell out of him, and you are prompted to repeatedly press circle. So, I kept doing it for a good 5 minutes or so. But my thumbs couldn't take it anymore. So, I paused the game, took a break and switched thumbs and kept mashing, and the freaking thunderfuck wouldn't die. I finally gave up and reset the console hoping I would have better luck next time and the game wouldn't get stuck. NOPE Same shit. The guy just doesn't die. Anyone else have the same problem?

Wow OP, you must have taken alot of damage every time a zombie grabbed you. Don't they drain like a third of your health if you don't mash the button?

I'll blow your mind even further.
You can sneak past Lickers without them noticing you in RE2. Just gotta repeatedly feather mash the dpad so that you don't make any loud footsteps.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Giving the OP a break here cus the game never mentions this and it's nowhere in the manual. Most of us have this reflex to just mash stuff when our characters are "caught in a hold" in games cus we want to figure out how to get control back, but it's not necessarily intuitive.

Zakalwe

Banned
Giving the OP a break here cus the game never mentions this and it's nowhere in the manual. Most of us have this reflex to just mash stuff when our characters are "caught in a hold" in games cus we want to figure out how to get control back, but it's not necessarily intuitive.

It's ingrained though, right? I mean, if the classic RE games were the amongst the first set of games OP played then I understand.

xrnzaaas

I don't remember but I think I also didn't struggle in any classic RE game (I didn't in RE0 HD when I played it last year). I'm used to a button prompt on the screen when I'm able to fight back.

For real, I just found this out. I always thought if a zombie grabbed you, that was it. You just wait until the anmimation finishes and stops biting you, and take all the damage dealt. I just learned that you can shake them off manually and minimise the damage you receive. My mind is blown. Shit, I gotta replay these games.

Uh just for shits and giggles, how does one do this?

>_>

<_<

ReyVGM

If the vast majority of gamers have done this without the games ever telling you, then I would say it's completely intuitive.

I had no idea, is this still the case in the REMake? I've beaten that several times and never thought to mash buttons like RE4.

Steroyd

I don't button mash unless a game tells me to button mash.

Guess you never completed God of War 3 eh?

Just shows how button prompt heavy games are, if anything grabs me or my character is stunned I mash, I want control back as soon as possible whether it's actually programmed into the game or not.

Redd

I had no idea, is this still the case in the REMake? I've beaten that several times and never thought to mash buttons like RE4.

The game doesn't tell you but you can burn multiple zombies with one dose of kerosene too. Line them up on top of each other and they all burn to ash.

Top Bottom