• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland GAF I'm Visiting in Two Weeks. Must Eat Food Places??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

My brother and sister in law live in Portland OR and I haven't visited since they moved. I keep seeing all these amazing places to eat in Portland. Any suggestions?

Naudi

Banned
If you're looking for lunch I went to Lardo the other day and it was delicious. Like really delicious lol

Sinfamy

Portlander here, don't know of anything particularly amazing that I would recommend.
Depends what you like and what your budget is.

Most things are pretty expensive so I steer away.
Altabira was pretty good.

Kenny and Zukes deli is great if you can stomach the prices

Andina is good

Pine State Biscuits

I don't particularly recommend Salt and Straw but I know you'll be taken there anyways

iavi

Bollywood Theater is a must for Indian Fusion. Flavors at that place are ridiculous.

Check Blue Star for some amazing donuts, Voodoo is more popular for the crazy combos and 24 hour fix, but Blue Star is leagues better

Portland's drowning in quality places to eat.

I mean, what kind of food are you looking to grab?

Even if you're looking to eat cheaply, the food cart pods scattered all over the city will do you pretty good.

I mean, not to say "you can't go wrong" because you can. but there are a ton of great options in the city, and most of 'em aren't that expensive.

So, what kind of food are you looking to eat while you're here? Also, what side of town will you be staying/visiting the most? That'll help, too.

brb

The Goose for new Mexican.
Le Pigeon for Burgers (reservations recommended). If that's too pricey go downtown to Little Bird and get a $5 burger during happy hour.
Podnah's for BBQ.
It'll basically be impossible to get seats at Lagbaan unless you make reservations months in advance so check out Hat yai for Thai.
Plenty of good sandwich shops including Lardo and Devil's Dill.

Since you're a tourist you might as well check out Voodoo Donuts. Blue Star or Coco's are much better though. Pokpok is really pricey/touristy too but still great. Screen Door is the same situation, still recommended. Hit up Tasty n' Sons for another great brunch spot.

This is what I got from the top of my head. There's actually so many more, Jesus the food here is great. I'll maybe add more later.

Fire on the Mountain has he Best buffalo wings I've ever had in my life.

Portland City Grill downtown.

Apizza schols in the Southeast.

Tonallis Donuts on Alberta.

Little Big Burger which has numerous locations.

Voodoo, Salt and Straw, Pine State Biscuits, Screen Door's Chicken and Waffle, Pok Pok Wings, Lardo, Por Que No, Apizza Scholls/Ken's Artisan Pizza

These are the cheaper "touristy" spots.

Trifecta is a good spot that is a bit more expensive and Ox is a step beyond that.

Any idea what area you'll be in? Doesn't do us much good to recommend stuff on Division if you're 15 miles away in St. John's. I'll echo Lardo for sandwiches, Bollywood Theater for Indian street food (the chicken kati roll is to die for), Andina for dinner, and Tasty n Sons for brunch (or lunch, or dinner, really). Portland City Grill has the best views in town if you can get a table near a window (food's good too).

-EDIT- Ecliptic Brewing on Mississippi has the best burger I've ever had (with pancetta and gruyere). Beer's decent too.

GG-Duo

I really enjoyed Cartopia for dinner

It's like a block where a bunch of tables are surrounded by food trucks. They start some fire pits at night and sometimes show movies on a projector.

I loved the food trucks when I was in Portland. I found a few places that would have a group of ten or so with a pretty crazy variety of food.

One thing I would suggest to avoid is Voodoo donuts, unless you stop by and there's no line. They have some unique stuff like a donut shaped like a dick but taste-wise I didn't think it was anything super impressive.

Fried Egg I'm In Love
Miss Delta
Pine State
Tilt
Brunch Box
Killer Buger(try the one with peanut butter, trust me)
Coco Doughnuts
And go to Ground Kontrol!!

Damaniel

Banned
ITT I discover I'm apparently not with it, whatever 'it' is. I've lived in PDX my entire life and haven't even *heard* of most of these places, let alone eaten food in them. In other words, don't ask me where to eat while you're here...

(I'm guessing a lot of it is because I avoid the places where they usually are - Division, Hawthorne, the Pearl, NW 23rd. I like being able to park within a half a mile of where I intend to eat.)

hwalker84

Portlander here, don't know of anything particularly amazing that I would recommend.
Depends what you like and what your budget is.

Most things are pretty expensive so I steer away.
Altabira was pretty good.

I have no budget. The only thing I don't eat is pork.

Fried Egg I'm In Love
Miss Delta
Pine State
Tilt
Brunch Box
Killer Buger(try the one with peanut butter, trust me)
Coco Doughnuts
And go to Ground Kontrol!!

This is the post that most aligns with my tastes.

There's a Portland OT in here somewhere with recommendations, I'm sure...

hwalker84

Any idea what area you'll be in? Doesn't do us much good to recommend stuff on Division if you're 15 miles away in St. John's. I'll echo Lardo for sandwiches, Bollywood Theater for Indian street food (the chicken kati roll is to die for), Andina for dinner, and Tasty n Sons for brunch (or lunch, or dinner, really). Portland City Grill has the best views in town if you can get a table near a window (food's good too).

-EDIT- Ecliptic Brewing on Mississippi has the best burger I've ever had (with pancetta and gruyere). Beer's decent too.

I think i'm 15 miles west of downtown. I'll have a car.

soco

Some of this depends on where you're coming from, so skip the biscuits if you're from the south, and Kenny & Zukes if you're from NYC. Also, if you're interested in breakfast and brunch in Portland. Go as early as humanly possible. The wait at places like Screen Door can be around 2 hours.

I've yet to find good BBQ in Portland. Screen Door has passable southern food. Pine State is fine, but skippable if you've had good biscuits. Screen Door's are better. As others said, skip voodoo if you care about taste more than novelty and do Blue Star.

Kenny & Zukes is pretty good if you don't mind the wait and haven't had a good pastrami sandwich before. If you like Indian, there's a great indian food cart downtown called Bombay Chaat House. You can get a nice sized sampler dish for lunch up until like 6pm.

If you've got a car, go to Cloud City for ice cream instead of Salt & Straw. Depends on the day, but usually better ice cream than anywhere in the PNW, except maybe the new vegan place in Seattle. It's a bit out of the way, but the ice cream is generally better and it's cheaper, but it's usually not as excotic. They've got a good selection, with some nice twists on more classic flavors (think sea-salt cookie dough and cinnamon oatmeal cookie, marscapone & red velvet). The sunshine one is awesome too (vegan, coconut, cardamom, ginger, etc).

There's a nice ethiopian food truck around 102 and Stark that's great if you can catch it open. Bete-lukas isn't bad otherwise but pricier. Enat Kitchen was pretty good.

Tabor Bread has some really nice dark, whole grain breads and some interesting pastries and desserts.

Harlow is also pretty good especially if you're veggie/vegan.

hwalker84

Some of this depends on where you're coming from, so skip the biscuits if you're from the south, and Kenny & Zukes if you're from NYC. Also, if you're interested in breakfast and brunch in Portland. Go as early as humanly possible. The wait at places like Screen Door can be around 2 hours.

I've yet to find good BBQ in Portland. Screen Door has passable southern food. Pine State is fine, but skippable if you've had good biscuits. Screen Door's are better. As others said, skip voodoo if you care about taste more than novelty and do Blue Star.

Kenny & Zukes is pretty good if you don't mind the wait and haven't had a good pastrami sandwich before. If you like Indian, there's a great indian food cart downtown called Bombay Chaat House. You can get a nice sized sampler dish for lunch up until like 6pm.

If you've got a car, go to Cloud City for ice cream instead of Salt & Straw. Depends on the day, but usually better ice cream than anywhere in the PNW, except maybe the new vegan place in Seattle. It's a bit out of the way, but the ice cream is generally better and it's cheaper, but it's usually not as excotic. They've got a good selection, with some nice twists on more classic flavors (think sea-salt cookie dough and cinnamon oatmeal cookie, marscapone & red velvet). The sunshine one is awesome too (vegan, coconut, cardamom, ginger, etc).

There's a nice ethiopian food truck around 102 and Stark that's great if you can catch it open. Bete-lukas isn't bad otherwise but pricier. Enat Kitchen was pretty good.

Tabor Bread has some really nice dark, whole grain breads and some interesting pastries and desserts.

Harlow is also pretty good especially if you're veggie/vegan.

I'm from Pittsburgh. Growing food city.

Is there a food truck area?

I'll get in on March 16th and leaving March 21st. Quick extended weekend.

I think i'm 15 miles west of downtown. I'll have a car.

that's basically Beaverton. There's some decent Ramen out that way, actually, I've heard.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say do not fuck with Screen Door, period. The waits are entirely too long for the food you get. It's good food, don't get me wrong. But there are entirely too many great options in town for you to spend north of an hour standing around in front of a restaurant for some fucking chicken.

Some people like Podnah's for BBQ, I think Russell St is better, personally.

Is there a food truck area?.

MULTIPLES.

There's Cartopia out on 82nd, Killingsworth's got one now down by MLK, Sandy's got one by Cosmic Monkey Comics, Downtown's got like 3 of em, There's one on the corner of Hawthorne & 12th...

Here's a map of most of 'em, actually.

Mimir

For food carts, definitely check out Chez Dodo. Super tasty food, with an extremely friendly owner.

Farm Spirit is my favorite restaurant here, but you have to buy tickets in advance.

soco

Also, if you use that map, open the larger one and pan around. There are others, including some closer to where you're staying and the one I mentioned on 102nd and stark where Rahel's is located.

Epif was also pretty decent for vegan latin american food, but pricey. We had one or two dishes there that were great.

Screen door can be fine if you go on a weekday at like 8:30 or 9. I've gotten tables multiple times without waiting then. Otherwise skip it though.

hwalker84

that's basically Beaverton. There's some decent Ramen out that way, actually, I've heard.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say do not fuck with Screen Door, period. The waits are entirely too long for the food you get. It's good food, don't get me wrong. But there are entirely too many great options in town for you to spend north of an hour standing around in front of a restaurant for some fucking chicken.

Some people like Podnah's for BBQ, I think Russell St is better, personally.

MULTIPLES.

There's Cartopia out on 82nd, Killingsworth's got one now down by MLK, Sandy's got one by Cosmic Monkey Comics, Downtown's got like 3 of em, There's one on the corner of Hawthorne & 12th...

Here's a map of most of 'em, actually.

Legit Ramen? I'm a HUGE Ramen guy considering my Japan travels. Thanks for the info.

hwalker84

First time in Oregon OP? If so, you owe it to yourself to do some sightseeing of the natural beauty of the area.

Yeah my wife and her brother aren't really explorer's they just stay in their lane and eat their African food mostly. Me I'm the traveler.

Yesterday she's like Claude is trying to figure out stuff for you to do. I turned to her and said "You guys do realize I don't really need any of you?" I know my people on Neogaf got me when it comes to suggestions.

jonezer4

I highly recommend, especially if you're in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area, Helvetia Tavern. Best burgers you'll ever eat. Also, it's right next door to the Roloft family (stars of Little People Big World).

hwalker84

I highly recommend, especially if you're in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area, Helvetia Tavern. Best burgers you'll ever eat. Also, it's right next door to the Roloft family (stars of Little People Big World).

Yeah looks like i'm in the Hillsboro area.

soco

Yeah there's a few decent ramen places. My other enjoys the cartopia on 82nd one, but that's a bit of a trek from where you're staying. I think it's Mizu Ramen or something.

Alright, the Ramen spots I've hit that I would say are worth the time and the money:

Noraneko
This place is right by OMSI, too. You gotta visit OMSI, btw.

Izakaya Kichinto
Right by the Wonder Ballroom (and the aforementioned Russell St. BBQ)

Boxer Ramen
There's a couple of these around town (owned by the Blue Star Donuts/Little Big Burger people) but I really like the one on Alberta.

Hapa
Got food carts on west and east sides. Amazing stuff.

Kayo's Ramen Bar
The ramen would be top-notch even if they didn't give you two eggs per bowl.

I haven't gone to Biwa or Mirakutei, yet, but people speak pretty highly of em. I'd also put in a word for House of Ramen downtown, which looks basically like a convenience store with tables, and is definitely not trying to class the dish up any, but can't deny: They make good soup.

Pambiche for a weekend brunch is awesome.
http://www.pambiche.com/

Pambiche is always busy, but never as busy as it deserves to be, especially at brunch. I love that place.

I love that one of their breakfast menu items is basically a bucket of tiny muffins. Like, that's the breakfast. Coffee and a bucket of assorted tiny muffins. My favorite is the Tortilla a la Romana, though.

5taquitos

If you need a burger, look no further than Killer Burger. There are several now.

Also, ignore the Pine State hype and go to Gravy if you want breakfast.

brau

A food truck that just tried this week was Koi Fusion, it was soooo good.
http://koifusionpdx.com/

Pambiche is always busy, but never as busy as it deserves to be, especially at brunch. I love that place.

I love that one of their breakfast menu items is basically a bucket of tiny muffins. Like, that's the breakfast. Coffee and a bucket of assorted tiny muffins. My favorite is the Tortilla a la Romana, though.

Yea. If we ever go, we go when they open... between 8.30 and 9 i think. Place is super small, but full of charm. Food is awesome.

Cafe con leche and some muffins and you're good to go for sure. :D

I'll have to check some of the other recommendations here.

Also, ignore the Pine State hype and go to Gravy if you want breakfast.

And when Gravy is way too fucking busy (because it's increasingly gotten that way on the weekends) head right across the street to Miss Delta, duck inside, and order the Southern Stack or the Chicken & Waffles.

Southern Stack is this unholy behemoth of biscuit/gravy/chicken/bacon/egg. I love it

Alright, the Ramen spots I've hit that I would say are worth the time and the money:

Noraneko
This place is right by OMSI, too. You gotta visit OMSI, btw.

Izakaya Kichinto
Right by the Wonder Ballroom (and the aforementioned Russell St. BBQ)

Boxer Ramen
There's a couple of these around town (owned by the Blue Star Donuts/Little Big Burger people) but I really like the one on Alberta.

Hapa
Got food carts on west and east sides. Amazing stuff.

Kayo's Ramen Bar
The ramen would be top-notch even if they didn't give you two eggs per bowl.

I haven't gone to Biwa or Mirakutei, yet, but people speak pretty highly of em. I'd also put in a word for House of Ramen downtown, which looks basically like a convenience store with tables, and is definitely not trying to class the dish up any, but can't deny: They make good soup.

If you are in Beaverton, Kizuki Ramen & Izakaya is amazing, it's from Japanese chain and is one of their first restaurants in US (so I've been told).

dcassell

Banned
Por Que No
The Screen Door
HK Cafe is freaking awesome Chinese food, though know almost nobody there speaks English
Escape from NY Pizza is good if you're over there
Salt & Straw has pretty fun stuff

You can't really go wrong, as others have said. Go explore the food carts downtown, and you're bound to find something yummy.

Portland's best restaurants are probably Thai food. Check out Pok Pok or PaaDee. I actually recommend PaaDee because it's amazing without the annoying Pok Pok crowd.

http://paadeepdx.com

Check out Tusk for some awesome Mediterranean style food. This is my favorite newer restaurant and I think it will pass the test of time.

https://www.tuskpdx.com

Also there's a decent Izakaya that opened up called Afuri. I actually wouldn't recommend the ramen over their Izakaya fare even though in Japan they are supposedly an awesome ramen restaurant.

http://afuri.us/#about

If you want a super Portland experience, check out the carts at Cartopia on 12th and Hawthorne. There's a grilled chicken place I've been addicted to called Chicken and Guns.

http://www.chickenandguns.com

Finally, if you want a decent burger check out either Roost or the Penny Diner downtown.

http://roostpdx.com

http://www.imperialpdx.com/portland-penny-diner/#ppd-information

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Pip's donuts on Fremont and around 45th or so, in NE, are the best donuts I've had. Blue Star donuts always have a weird taste to me that overrides the other flavors they put in. Like some fundamental ingredient that's in every donut (like the sugar or oil or something) has a weird flavor that's slightly off.

Has anyone tried Annie's donuts on Fremont and Sandy? I passed by there today on my way to Costco. Also, OP, make sure you try out the food at Costco. They have cheap hot dogs and their coca cola is fire.🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Doughnuts - Pip's or Blue Star
Southern - Screen Door, Muscadine or Po'Shines
Burgers - Brunch Box, Killer Burger or Yakuza
Pizza - Ken's Artisan Pizza if you want fancy, Pizza Jerk for more traditional american
Baked Goods - Ken's Artisan Bakery's morning bun
Coffee - Ristretto, Good, Barista, Water Ave
Ramen - Boxer is my favorite, Mirakutei is also good. Marukin is pricey.
Someone mentioned the Goose. I think it's New Mexican. Really good brisket tacos.

People love Nong's Khao Man Gai, I don't understand why.
Voodoo is mediocre at best.

There's a Fat Heads here, if you get homesick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom