• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

HqhrBkDcI.png

HqhJb6DVy.png

LMAO

Perfect

I don't understand these "are people joking?" posts. It's pretty simple. I value my time and anything under 90 is a waste of it. I mean, if 89 is your definition of good, then, by all means, go ahead and play it. I won't.

If aggregated game journalism is your definition of value, then, by all means, adhere to it.

Raven117

Hell...I wouldn't be surprised if Taro wrote a bad review himself to give it 89.

Oh shit! I posted before I saw the above! HAHA

But how is something that has an 89 mc or even 80 mc score mediocre? Like seriously, look opinions and all but i cannot fathom this.

There is something majestic about the number ninety. a 9 and a 0. Two keys next to each other on a keyboard. Sequential digits in base-10. Divisible by ten, two, nine, three and five. A nine and a zero, two beautiful numbers. The maximum followed by the minimum. A simple sort of beauty. A contrast in harmony. Rolls right off the tongue, nine-ty. It has the clarity of a cloudless spring morning. It has the purity of fresh water.

The number 90 encapsulates the joy of life. How could I settle for a game that scores less?

killatopak

There is something majestic about the number ninety. a 9 and a 0. Two keys next to each other on a keyboard. Sequential digits in base-10. Divisible by ten, two, nine, three and five. A nine and a zero, two beautiful numbers. The maximum followed by the minimum. A simple sort of beauty. A contrast in harmony. Rolls right off the tongue, nine-ty. It has the clarity of a cloudless spring morning. It has the purity of fresh water.

The number 90 encapsulates the joy of life. How could I settle for a game that scores less?

90>100

Now I have to relearn my maths.

N.Domixis

Banned

It's also the only known triple prime in existence.

90>100

Now I have to relearn my maths.
80 to 89 means it's trash, 95 to 100 means they paid reviewers. 90 to 94 are mean it's good, now a 92 that's something special. That's why the original nier was so well received it was in the 60s, no game aimed for that before and it was impressive.

Nier automata is a worse game because it has a better score, still at 90 it's still okay.
I don't even know what I wrote

killatopak

Jim Sterling seems to like it from the demo.

If EZA, Edge and Sixth axis score allows it to reach 91, I look forward to new math posts lol.

Ninety, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Nine-ty: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of two steps down the palate to tap, at two, on the teeth.

Sanctuary

If aggregated game journalism is your definition of value, then, by all means, adhere to it.

Kind of an odd thing to say in a thread full of gaming journalist reviews. Personally, I find aggregates to matter a lot more than any individual review, while also leveraging individual reviews of those who have rarely been "off" with my tastes against them. Word of mouth reviews from non journalists (not to say they are some pristine, unpaid, non biased source always either) tend to be way more hype infested and hyperbolic too.

78 is where I draw the line though, and it has to be a genre that I really enjoy. I've already paid my dues playing countless trash pile games over the decades.

Wagram

"Oh someone potentially spoiled the final boss for me so let me go to the review thread and in non spoiler tags ask if it's the final boss."

Idiot. Insta-ignore.

80 to 89 means it's trash, 95 to 100 means they paid reviewers. 90 to 94 are mean it's good, now a 92 that's something special. That's why the original nier was so well received it was in the 60s, no game aimed for that before and it was impressive.

Nier automata is a worse game because it has a better score, still at 90 it's still okay.

I love this post lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Be like me and play both.
Someday I might play BotW, but this was incredibly disappointing to me. No matter how good the design, stays at 20fps are completely inexcusable to me. This is not OoT on N64 in 1998. We are familiar with 3D, we make graphics choices, we negotiate a stable performance. If they can get their shit together to at least a stable 30fps in a patch I can deal, but I'm not paying $60 to get periodic motion sickness and laggy controls from such a shitty framerate. Can't believe 10s are getting thrown at it with this.

Someday I might play BotW, but this was incredibly disappointing to me. No matter how good the design, stays at 20fps are completely inexcusable to me. This is not OoT on N64 in 1998. We are familiar with 3D, we make graphics choices, we negotiate a stable performance. If they can get their shit together to at least a stable 30fps in a patch I can deal, but I'm not paying $60 to get periodic motion sickness and laggy controls from such a shitty framerate. Can't believe 10s are getting thrown at it with this.
It's stable for me in handheld mode. Haven't tried dock mode yet because I love myself.

LotusHD

Banned

Oh... Well, okay then.
*mostly plays Undocked, so can't relate

Raven117

FUCK YES. This post.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I only have a Wii U and it is going to stay that way for some years at very least. If Nintendo releases a product, it should have the most base acceptable level of performance on whatever platform it is released. 20fps is universally considered problematic even just in dips, let alone extended stays.

But let's not derail this thread too much. Looking forward to playing Nier!

Top Bottom