• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.Biz: Indies on Nintendo: “We've been treated like royalty”

Tripon

While Nintendo was clearly making overtures to the indie community during its Wii U days, Baker said the outreach started much earlier. "We have been working with indie developers and publishers for a really long time, back to the Wii days... I think with every console generation we're always looking for new ways of showcasing the fun of that system and what's awesome about the indie developers is that they're willing to take risks. They create edgy content, they [offer] a really cool, unique perspective on how they utilize the technology of the system as well," he said.

"What we've got here is we've identified a bunch of those developers that we think taps into what resonates really well with the Nintendo audience in particular and showcasing why that content fits so well on Nintendo Switch specifically."

"The way we're looking at Switch is this is a complementary platform. If it's on Steam, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be on Nintendo Switch as well," he remarked. "If you want to take that experience on the go, if you want to have a baked in multiplayer experience, this is the system to do it. It's got those points of differentiation, but we're not trying to go head-to-head against any of the other platforms. We just think that if the content makes sense to be over on our platform then it should be on our platform.

"We haven't opened the floodgates yet," Baker said. "We are just really taking an approach with the launch window to make sure the content really resonates with fans. We're not saying no to content that only uses the touchscreen or doesn't use the Joy-Con in a unique way, but at the same time we're trying to encourage those developers and have a conversation with them and say, 'Look, fans are probably expecting these types of fun features and functionality in the game' so maybe they should consider them and take a look at what it would take to implement that technology into the game if it makes sense for that type of experience."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-07-indies-on-nintendo-weve-been-treated-like-royalty

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That's good, indie games are one of the biggest reasons for my purchase of the switch and it's nice to know that nintendo is taking it seriously.

Dryk

"The way we're looking at Switch is this is a complementary platform. If it's on Steam, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be on Nintendo Switch as well," he remarked. "If you want to take that experience on the go, if you want to have a baked in multiplayer experience, this is the system to do it. It's got those points of differentiation, but we're not trying to go head-to-head against any of the other platforms. We just think that if the content makes sense to be over on our platform then it should be on our platform.
It would never happen, but I feel like the conclusion of this line of thinking is Steam/Switch cross-saves. Being able to take an experience on the go seems meaningless otherwise. But he's probably using the word complementary in a different manner to how I tend to interpret it.

This is the right move. If the AAAs of the world don't port to your platform go for the indie gems. Really excited for these games to start pouring out.

Yup. That's what they need to do. There are a ton of indie games on my Steam account that I would actually play if they were on the Switch.

I don't like being described as a 'fan' though.

jblank83

There are a number of indie games I'd double dip on to have them portable. Shovel Knight was the first. Isaac might be the second.

Glix

The indies they CHOSE were treated like royalty.

Their utter lack of any kind of information in their response to Zeboyd games shows they still don't seem to know how to cultivate some relationships even when it would cost them nothing but a personalized reply.

On the other hand they are doing a great thing by spacing out the releases to one or two per week "summer of arcade" style. It gives the titles time to shine and should see great attach rates for low price titles that might get lost in the shuffle otherwise.

I bet stuff like Fast RMX will do very well because of this.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've wanted indie local multiplayer stuff on Nintendo systems for years, they're the only platforms I ever bother getting enough controllers for

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The indies they CHOSE were treated like royalty..

Was about to say something akin to this.

Don't fall for the same trap as Vita though. Vita has TONS of indies and...yeah. Nintendo support will drive the systems. Indies are flavor toppings.

Being able to play indie games portably would be amazing, as there wasn't always the best variety on the Vita. I could see myself buying the Switch versions over the PC/PS4 versions.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Image & Form is part-owned by Bergsala which is essentially a regional branch of Nintendo, no shit they got preferential treatment.

Obligatory post I'll make in basically every thread about Switch and indies:

Nintendo should treat those indies to support for getting their games physical releases. I'll happily buy games digitally eventually if it comes down to it (Snipperclips is a good example), but I'm much more likely to be there to support them sooner if the games that feel like fits for the Nintendo platform (like Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Yooka-Laylee, etc.) get a premium physical release like Nintendo's own games do.

Especially true now that Switch is portable and I expect that my wife and I will own two to make the experience much more convenient. I don't want to have to rebuy games digitally to share them.

TreIII

Excellent news.

You never know who might be the next Shovel Knight-like dark horse that would be a solid addition to the lineup, so kudos.

Was about to say something akin to this.

Don't fall for the same trap as Vita though. Vita has TONS of indies and...yeah. Nintendo support will drive the systems. Indies are flavor toppings.

Indies are still vital for giving the player base something new to play in between big releases.

I'm totally ok with my Switch being a Nintendo, Japanese and indie game machine with the occasional port like Skyrim. I already have a PS4 to play the overbudget AAA games.

Mael

I 2nd what LegendofLex said.
Make physical version of indies and they will sell even more.
Indies aren't going to come with hugeass patches anyway so it saves space and as a customer I feel like I actually own the game too.

I'm totally ok with my Switch being a Nintendo, Japanese and indie game machine with the occasional port like Skyrim. I already have a PS4 to play the overbudget AAA games.

I feel like what keeps a console successful is its online mp offering. Games like destiny, cod, gta, and battlefield will always be the biggest drive for any console. So unless Nintendo plan on getting them onboard I can only see the switch getting mild to moderate success.

Kintaro

Indies are still vital for giving the player base something new to play in between big releases.

Vital? Not too sure about that. Helpful? Sure.

Can't be too vital since, unless they are exclusive and got a sweet, sweet deal, those indie games will be everywhere else as well.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Vital? Not too sure about that. Helpful? Sure.

Can't be too vital since, unless they are exclusive and got a sweet, sweet deal, those indie games will be everywhere else as well.

Looking at the current line-up of major retail releases on Switch, 'vital' is absolutely the appropriate word here. Even with all of Nintendo's focus on a single platform, unless they're pumping out multiple games every month themselves, there are still going to be major gaps in-between releases that need to be filled.

Tangeroo

Honestly, this is one of the things I'm most excited for about Switch. I'm a sucker for local co-op/multiplayer games on Steam (Duck Game, Overcooked, Speed Runners, Worms, etc) and the Switch is basically designed around these local party experiences.

nampad

You only get treated like royalty if you were chosen though.
The article says itself that they have not opened the floodgates. Zeboyd games posted this in another thread:
I know this is just me, but this whole experience touches a sore spot.

Our first game on XBLIG was the highest rated XBLIG title shortly after it came out. Microsoft ignored us. They continued to ignore us with our next game (Cthulhu Saves the World) which was also one of the highest rated games on the service.

We got the deal with Penny Arcade to release 2 RPGs with them. We released our games on Steam and sold hundreds of thousands of copies and were some of the first games on Steam to prove that there was a good market for JRPGs on the platform. I talked to people at Microsoft & Nintendo several times at conferences and I got a lot of vague "Yeah, maybe you can get on our official download stores if you make a new game and we like it enough."

And then Shane Bettenhausen from Playstation contacted us after we released PA3&4 and said "We love your work, we have to get your next game on Playstation, we want to work with you, let us know what you want to make."

I get that we're not a huge developer and not everyone can be as cool as Shane & Playstation, but it is frustrating that I'm going to Nintendo with a pitch, a good pitch, a pitch for a game that already is getting a lot of hype & advertising and all Nintendo has to do to get it on their new system in the first year is hook us up with a couple of devkits & I'm just getting the runaround. Even a simple "We'd love to have your game on the Switch, but we're out of devkits at the moment, but we should be able to help you in a few months" would have been a fine response that I'd be happy with but instead I get stuff like "We have no information about Switch to give at this time, but you can sign up to release your game on the Wii U or 3DS." Suggesting that somebody port a game to the Wii U in 2017 is almost insulting (and I say that as someone who loves the Wii U as a gamer - so many great games like Splatoon & Xenoblade X on it).

I first emailed within minutes of their initial Nintendo Switch teaser video so that was in October of last year.

sazzy

Hopefully indies don't flood the system with open world early access survival crafting games.

Ansatz

Obligatory post I'll make in basically every thread about Switch and indies:

Nintendo should treat those indies to support for getting their games physical releases. I'll happily buy games digitally eventually if it comes down to it (Snipperclips is a good example), but I'm much more likely to be there to support them sooner if the games that feel like fits for the Nintendo platform (like Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Yooka-Laylee, etc.) get a premium physical release like Nintendo's own games do.

Especially true now that Switch is portable and I expect that my wife and I will own two to make the experience much more convenient. I don't want to have to rebuy games digitally to share them.

I'm not gonna buy Shovel Knight, Yooka-Laylee or Bloodstained until they give us a definitive answer on whether there will be a physical edition because I don't feel like double dipping and the uncertainty is annoying because it means I have to hold off buying it digitaly indefinitely because there *may* be a physical release *sometime* in the future. Blaster Master Zero? Day 1

Where's rocket league?

Exactly, the high profile indie games like inside and the witness are missing. You only see the "Nintendo-like" ones being announced, the games that would resonate with Nintendo fans but not the more "serious" indie games.

I feel like what keeps a console successful is its online mp offering. Games like destiny, cod, gta, and battlefield will always be the biggest drive for any console. So unless Nintendo plan on getting them onboard I can only see the switch getting mild to moderate success.

You mean games like Splatoon, Mario Kart or Smash?

Kintaro

Looking at the current line-up of major retail releases on Switch, 'vital' is absolutely the appropriate word here. Even with all of Nintendo's focus on a single platform, unless they're pumping out multiple games every month themselves, there are still going to be major gaps in-between releases that need to be filled.

I think what I am getting at here is that I don't believe people buy Nintendo systems (handhelds included) for Indies. Filling in gaps or not. So, I don't see them as Vital since most are found elsewhere on a system they already have or have already bought them. It's not a selling point. Especially when they are missing the bigger, well known indie titles.

AdanVC

This is great news. Each year indie games have more and more quality, sometimes even more than those AAA developers. You know what is the indie game I would totally love to see on the Switch? Cuphead... That game is perfect for the Switch. Make it happen, Nintendo! DLC Mario drawn in a 30s cartoon style and all that, omg.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think what I am getting at here is that I don't believe people buy Nintendo systems (handhelds included) for Indies. Filling in gaps or not. So, I don't see them as Vital since most are found elsewhere on a system they already have or have already bought them. It's not a selling point. Especially when they are missing the bigger, well known indie titles.

I mean we've only just gotten a first glimpse at the line-up for the near future. Yooka-Laylee is an obvious major one. I don't see the system getting stuff like Pillars of Eternity, obviously, or anything else PC-centric.

What are the major ones coming out that are missing a Switch release in your eyes? Because I can think of a ton of stuff that has already come out in recent years that I'd want to have, but going forward, what are the unreleased titles that should be on the system as well? Bloodstained is the only other one coming to mind.

But the reason to get any Nintendo platform is still always going to be Nintendo's games. Indies were never going to do that, but they justify playing the game on the system with the portability. I don't need to play Shovel Knight on a TV, etc. But the Switch seems like a machine where I may be most comfortable playing it.

Kuro

Indie devs want to actually support their platform unlike a lot of third party publishers. Great news Nintendo has improved their indie support quite a bit but they still have some way to go with communication.

Ansatz

I'm interested in Yooka Laylee, but what type of game is Bloodstained?

It's the spiritual sucessor to Konami's Castlevania games in the metroidvania style we saw on GBA and DS, also SoTN on Playstation 1. It's exactly the same thing as Yooka-Laylee, where the dev left his publishers and kickstarted a game fans want but gaming company wouldn't fund.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Happens every time.... Wii, Wii U...

Hope it sticks this time
I mean the difference this time is that they really have fuck-all from third parties at the moment. A port of a 6-year old Bethesda game in like 5 months probably isn't going to set the world on fire. And we have no clue what most Japanese studios that have a strong history with Nintendo are really going to be offering outside of vague glimpses like Octopath Traveler or whatever.

They have nothing else to lean into, so lean hard on the independent devs

AColdDay

I would really like Robert from Zeboyd Games to chime in on whether or not their team has been treated like royalty.

Top Bottom