• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, how do I hang this framed painting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 2 years ago my mom bought me a lovely framed painting for xmas. The frame came with hanging materials but I had no idea how to use them so my dad came over and showed me.

USYfbdK.jpg

He screwed the wire thing to the frame and then nailed the hanger to the wall and it looked simple enough. But here are the materials that came with the frame I got this time:

wzfIcUq.jpg

and here's the new frame:

5er1HKR.jpg

So there's no wire thing this time. I really don't want to ask my dad to do it for me again because I'm 27 and it's embarrassing. Am I supposed to screw those teeth things to the top corners of the frame and then hang it with 2 nails? What are those 2 clear plastic things for? Why the hell do these things not come with instructions? Everyone shits on IKEA's bad instruction manuals but at least they give you something. Thanks a lot Aaron Brothers.

Salamando

Those are sawtooth hangers. Screw them to the top of the frame, use two nails in the wall to hang.

The clear things are likely bumpers, to prevent the frame from rubbing directly against the wall at the bottom.

I am not familiar with those plastic nubs, but I suspect you are meant to put them in the bottom corners so it doesn't hang at an angle

These kinds of hangers are certainly annoying but not impossible. Just measure out where you are drilling very carefully to ensure it's even or you're probably boned

If the picture is especially valuable, you might want to invest in locking picture hangers

Zackat

I am gonna assume the plastic parts are either to put over screw heads to give grip or, more likely, to put on the opposite corners of the frame from the teethed holders so it is evenly on the wall.

You have the gist of it though. You measure out and make sure you have screws/nails in the wall evenly spaced and level then hang it on 2 screws.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sometimes I think it's hilarious how some gaffers grow up to be adults and at the same time be so clueless about the simplest things in life.

How's your future kid going to look up to you when daddy doesn't know how to wield a screwdriver?
Sit down and think on it, be creative and you'll feel good when you figure it out.

It's hanging a painting, not exactly dismantling a nuclear reactor core.

Thanks guys, it helps knowing that they're called sawtooth hangers for starters. I didn't even know how to Google the question because all the results had people using the wire hangers.

I don't think you'll need a wiimote to do it tbh.

I know you're supposed to use a banana for scale but I ate my last one a couple days ago.

Brakke

Banned
Also if you're uncomfortable with this, just go to a hardware store and buy what you need for a wire hanger for like $1.20.

The little bumpers go on the bottom so the frame doesn't scratch up the wall.

Sometimes I think it's hilarious how some gaffers grow up to be adults and at the same time be so clueless about the simplest things in life.

How's your future kid going to look up to you when daddy doesn't know how to wield a screwdriver?
Sit down and think on it, be creative and you'll feel good when you figure it out.

It's simple: I'll marry a woman who's a contractor. We all have our strengths and weaknesses... I've never been someone who liked to work with his hands.

Also if you're uncomfortable with this, just go to a hardware store and buy what you need for a wire hanger for like $1.20.

The little bumpers go on the bottom so the frame doesn't scratch up the wall.

Damn I didn't even consider that. I like the wire hanger better because it only requires 1 nail and it's easy to adjust. Thanks I think I'll just do that.

HeySeuss

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. But at the end of the day, you don't know what you don't know.

4 screws, 4 holes. Attach the things to the top frame with the teeth pointing to the floor. Then measure the distance between the teeth and transfer that to the wall where you want to hang it. Make sure you center the distance to account for windows etc so that the picture is centered on the wall. Then either take 2 nails or 2 drywall screws and the plastic anchors that keep it in place. Hang the picture. Done.

Should take you 10 minutes tops. Don't get the wire like the other guy said. What came with your frame is the better setup. And will keep your picture from being crooked.

I'd actually take the wire off the other frame if you're done using it. Putting it on the new one will be a lot easier than leveling two metal hangers.

akira28

I can help but first do you have any duct tape?

This is Peak GAF.

no. "clogged toilet is overflowing and the handle doesn't work and the door is locked and I am at my girlfriend's parents house party. what do?" is peak GAF

also a bathroom attendant is waiting to be tipped.

RinsFury

Not everyone is comfortable with using tools.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Duct tape it to the wall

I can help but first do you have any duct tape?

no. "clogged toilet is overflowing and the handle doesn't work and the door is locked and I am at my girlfriend's parents house party. what do?" is peak GAF

also a bathroom attendant is waiting to be tipped.

I was going to argue, but I yield to your superior logic.

It's simple: I'll marry a woman who's a contractor. We all have our strengths and weaknesses... I've never been someone who liked to work with his hands.

Damn I didn't even consider that. I like the wire hanger better because it only requires 1 nail and it's easy to adjust. Thanks I think I'll just do that.

That's not working with your hands, by that logic screwing in light bulbs is working with your hands.

I think it's odd that your criteria for a kid looking up to a parent is whether or not they know how to use a screwdriver. My father is pretty handy with tools but growing up I thought it was extraordinarily dull and not at all factored into whether or not I looked up to him.

This mentality has carried with me as I've aged and I'm privileged enough to not have had to deal with tools my entire life. If I have to, I'm fortunate enough to live an existence where it would be a Youtube video and a humorous tweet at my own expense away. For instance, relevant to the OP, when I framed my Harley Quinn poster, I Youtubed how to use special kinds of tape and hooks to hold it up. So my recommendation is the same, and I wish OP the best of luck to do so!

^ Thank you for the kind words.

4 screws, 4 holes. Attach the things to the top frame with the teeth pointing to the floor. Then measure the distance between the teeth and transfer that to the wall where you want to hang it. Make sure you center the distance to account for windows etc so that the picture is centered on the wall. Then either take 2 nails or 2 drywall screws and the plastic anchors that keep it in place. Hang the picture. Done.

Should take you 10 minutes tops. Don't get the wire like the other guy said. What came with your frame is the better setup. And will keep your picture from being crooked.

Thanks for the instructions.

vfyNoaf.jpg

All other suggestions are terrible. These are really the only things anybody should be using to hang pictures.

Are those just adhesive strips? Man I'm sure they're strong but I'd be way too nervous to trust them.

I'd actually take the wire off the other frame if you're done using it. Putting it on the new one will be a lot easier than leveling two metal hangers.

Both frames have paintings in them. I'm not done with the first one.

That's not working with your hands, by that logic screwing in light bulbs is working with your hands.

Well I mean it kinda is. It involves using a hammer and screwdriver.

Alpha_eX

Don't use adhesive strips, if you insist I'll show you the marks on my wall where they tore off and the smashed frames on the floor.

I stacked three vertically, held until a really hot summer when the adhesive failed for the top frame, dropping it onto the second (tearing off the paint with the strip) and then taking out the third on the way down.

Just do it right.

shandy706

(Chuckles)

I just showed my daughter how to hang two different frames due to this thread. Never even considered that as something someone wouldn't know.

So did someone teach me, or did I just figure it out across 34 years? Haha

(Chuckles)

I just showed my daughter how to hang two different frames due to this thread. Never even considered that as something someone wouldn't know.

So did someone teach me, or did I just figure it out across 34 years? Haha

Well at least we've evolved beyond scratching animals on the walls. Hanging a picture is the next step.

RMI

Banned
Use a proper picture hanger (one with a nail and a hook), rather than just a nail or God forbid some tacks or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom