• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Bout Fatal Fury: Untold Stories from original developers

BadWolf

Article

Lots of neat behind the scenes tidbits from people who worked on these (awesome) games.

The final game in this compilation is another popular title around the world, as it is known for its very high paced battles. Created in only 4 months, the Fatal Fury Team put a lot of effort into significantly increasing the tempo of the battles for Real Bout Fatal Fury 2.

Accroding to Oda, not everything goes according to plan in game development, as he examples by another anecdote about the Real Bout Fatal Fury series. ”Players not fond of overly complicated commands were especially pleased with Real Bout Fatal Fury upon its release, as the debug mode used during game development was still accessible.

”This meant players could activate any Desperation Move by just pressing down, down and a single button!" he explains, shaking his head with slight exasperation. ”I even remember seeing arcades which had signs posted next to the game prohibiting the use of this hidden/forbidden command!"

”In those days patches were obviously not possible like they are now and we actually discovered after release of the first lot of MVS cartridges that Billy Kane's short hop A had no hitbox!" Oda has a bitter smile on his face as he remembers the incident. ”We were forced to recall the cartridges already out in the wild to fix this mistake, which was quite an undertaking."

Lots more at the link.

If you are thinking of getting into the games, check out this beginner video guide, gets you familiar real quick.

Aside from looking great, the games were really forward thinking with their mechanics and are pretty easy to get into.

Shinriji

Real Bout Fatal Fury is my cherished Neo game ever. I love the ring out system, the freeform combo system, the balance, etc. Great game.

WarRock

SNK created new assets for the loading screens of the game, but their style was considered a bit too eccentric by many fans, who actually sent letters directly to SNK demanding that they not to use this style anymore! These loading screens are not in this PS4 release of the game, so everyone can rest easy!
Laughing out loud at this.

Holy shit this is awesome, thanks for sharing OP.

The fact that RB2 was made in 4 months is blowing my mind right now. Best 2d fighter of all time made in that timeframe, wtf!

Real Bout 2 is also one of my favorite fighting games of all time.

Holy shit this is awesome, thanks for sharing OP.

The fact that RB2 was made in 4 months is blowing my mind right now. Best 2d fighter of all time made in that timeframe, wtf!

I mean they only made two new characters.

Tizoc

They altered some characters too like Mary and Cheng. They replaced the base AB, Fwd+C, Back+C chain with a juggle chain which I felt was better since the old one was too 'easy' IMO.

sibarraz

Banned

Nobody of my friends believed me when I said that the game was clearly rushed, it lacks a lot of the polish that SNK normally put on the presentation of their games. I feel validated after today interview.

Still, is one of the best fighters of the neo geo and even the 2d genre, the game is mad fun, and the short length of the matches wants you to play even more

Tizoc

Nobody of my friends believed me when I said that the game was clearly rushed, it lacks a lot of the polish that SNK put on the presentation of their games. I feel validated after today interview.

Still, is one of the best fighters of the neo geo and even the 2d genre, the game is mad fun, and the short length of the matches wants you to play even more

lol I knew Real Bout 2 was rushed from the time I played it; no bloody character intros or mid round victory pose, the game rushing through rounds and menus.
The game has a clean interface though and the stages are really nice.

TreIII

Real Bout 2 is such an amazing game, and had such great chars, too.

Still sad that Rick got his shtick stolen almost wholesale by Vanessa on the KOF side, and that much served to more or less erase his existence. As much as I like her too, untypical Native American boxer is still a much more unique design.

BadWolf

Real Bout 2 is such an amazing game, and had such great chars, too.

Still sad that Rick got his shtick stolen almost wholesale by Vanessa on the KOF side, and that much served to more or less erase his existence. As much as I like her too, untypical Native American boxer is still a much more unique design.

A housewife-secret-mercenary boxer is more unique I think :p

He may not make sense to include in KOF but when it comes to FF he's still very much relevant. As you mention, he is very distinct when it comes to male boxers and his design and animation are really badass.

His play style overall is also different from Vanessa. So yeah, if there is a new FF I would definitely hope to see him in.

Het_Nkik

What? The cute chibi characters? Terry being chased by a dog?

As always, SNK fans sucks.

Well, I mean, the example used in the article is:

j9Pb8bd.jpg

Nothing cute about it.

RB2 may just be one of the greatest fighting games of all time. Beautiful, colorful art direction. Amazing soundtrack. Rick motherfuckin' Stroud, possibly THE greatest "one hit wonder" character in all of SNK history.

And yea, they're not kidding about that faster pace. Not much posing, no victory quotes, nothing, just... "GET IN THE RING!", bitches.

They altered some characters too like Mary and Cheng. They replaced the base AB, Fwd+C, Back+C chain with a juggle chain which I felt was better since the old one was too 'easy' IMO.

Lol. I know it's not a lot of new content compared to RBFFS but it's still crazy to me.

4 MONTHS

Oh I know there were various game play changes such as the two lines going back to one and new stages including my favorite Xiangfei's:

latest

It honestly looks like a Mark of the Wolves stage.

Funnily enough even though there were only two characters added those were the first new characters added to the series since Fatal Fury 3 (if I'm remembering correct). The prior two Real Bout games just added past characters.

The sprites look the same in the following games for me, there seem to change after two games:

Fatal Fury

Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special

Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout: Fatal Fury

Real Bout: Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout 2: The Newcomers

Real Bout is essentially Fatal Fury 4 and the end of the storyline.

I'm really glad Real Bout 2 added a third female though. The roster at that size need another one. I always wanted Xiangfei and the Jin Brothers to show up in Mark of the Wolves considering they would still be in their 20's during that time.

TreIII

A housewife-secret-mercenary boxer is more unique I think :p

I'd disagree, only because in that era (or hell, even now), Rick stands out when most Native American representation in fighters adhered to certain, definitive tropes like T. Hawk, Nightwolf and Chief Thunder. Classic SNK's quirkiness made for an interesting design that I hoped would be utilized more than he did.

Hopefully, SNK makes good on that promise. He'd still only be about Terry's age in a MOTW sequel.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SNK is so friggin' hot right now.

Nobody of my friends believed me when I said that the game was clearly rushed, it lacks a lot of the polish that SNK normally put on the presentation of their games. I feel validated after today interview.

lol I knew Real Bout 2 was rushed from the time I played it; no bloody character intros or mid round victory pose, the game rushing through rounds and menus.
The game has a clean interface though and the stages are really nice.

At least RBFF 2 came out great in the end, unlike say, Yuki Enterprise with Samurai Shodown V (Samurai Spirits Zero). That game was rushed, & it turned out to be shittacular.

Not to mention that RBFF 2 was more like a Dream Match game.

Tizoc

What? I didn't know that, honestly.
Now it makes a lot of sense.
Sorry I may have misinformed with my post ^^; I fixed it now.

In RB2 Do a juggle chain then keep them juggled with his QCB+B for eternity.

EDIT: Another tricky inf. with Rick is juggling with his DP+A at the corner; the opponent must be positioned correctly so that his attack can juggle infinitely though.

L Thammy

Played a bit about Real Bout... I want to say Special, a little while ago. Been a few years since I last played it. And feel like I'm completely incompetent now. I've heard people say that it's one of the most Capcom-like of SNK fighting games but I feel like it's still a totally different beast.

BadWolf

Played a bit about Real Bout... I want to say Special, a little while ago. Been a few years since I last played it. And feel like I'm completely incompetent now. I've heard people say that it's one of the most Capcom-like of SNK fighting games but I feel like it's still a totally different beast.

Err...no they don't (not normally anyway). It very much has its own feel (art, animation, movement, mechanics etc.), even by today's standards.

Capcom may have copied a lot from Fatal Fury for SF4/SF5 (invincible back dash, FADC, combos, crush counter etc.) but even then FF stands on its own.

Is it me or does this game have the most badass box cover of all time?

I mean goddamn.

Seriously one of the most boss pieces of gaming art ever.

Dumb question but I've never dug too deep into the Fatal Fury games and was curious what the difference between the Real Bout and the regular Fatal Fury series is? Sorry if this is a tired old question but I've never really understood this. Like what's the difference between Fatal Fury 2 and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2? Are they like the Fatal Fury equivalent to something like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo?

L Thammy

Dumb question but I've never dug too deep into the Fatal Fury games and was curious what the difference between the Real Bout and the regular Fatal Fury series is? Sorry if this is a tired old question but I've never really understood this. Like what's the difference between Fatal Fury 2 and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2? Are they like the Fatal Fury equivalent to something like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo?

I've heard them compared to Alpha: they're an subseries with their own mechanics, not modified versions of the original games. The "Special" games are more like Street Fighter's updated versions.

The big changes (as far as I'm aware):

There's only one strong attack button, as one has been changed to a dedicated line change button
Ring outs are now possible
There's now a super meter

Real Bout Special is my favourite of those. I really love the art and the gameplay. Aside from Kim being slightly better in '98, it also has the best versions of my favourite characters.

It's poorly timed, but I will pick it up for the... fourth time? Fifth, if you include getting the PSone conversion with White. I have the AES, the MVS, the PS2 re-release and the PSone Classic.

sibarraz

Banned
SNK is so friggin' hot right now.

I feel like SNK has made a good job rebranding their name into the original one, plus all the collaborations in gacha games. now people has in their mindset member arcades? member "AAA" pixel art? member terry? member the 90's? so is kinda becoming cool again, after almost 2 decades were 2d was considered lame

petran79

Banned

Developers went back and forth between Capcom, SNK and other companies so some similarities are inevitable

BadWolf

I'd disagree, only because in that era (or hell, even now), Rick stands out when most Native American representation in fighters adhered to certain, definitive tropes like T. Hawk, Nightwolf and Chief Thunder. Classic SNK's quirkiness made for an interesting design that I hoped would be utilized more than he did.

Hopefully, SNK makes good on that promise. He'd still only be about Terry's age in a MOTW sequel.

Sorry missed your post there.

I see where you're coming from and do agree when it comes to male boxers but overall a female boxer is way more unique on a basic level. There weren't many (any?) of them when Vanessa made her debut and even now female boxer characters are a rarity.

The easy way to think of them is as reboots, it happened twice in the series.

Fatal Fury > Real Bout > Mark of the Wolves

They weren't spin offs or side games but the next new main entries.

Saikyo

They are different games.

Fatal Fury 2 is the second game, RBFF2 is the 7th game of the series, the complete line of games are:

Fatal Fury 1, 2, Special, 3, Real Bout, Real Bout Special, Real Bout 2, Garou Mark of the Wolves (lets not talk about wild ambition).

Fatal Fury 2 is more "simple" with 2 planes, no special bars and you can only do Danger Moves when you are low on HP,

RBFF2 there are a special bar that have 2 types of Danger Moves, stages that have 1 or 2 planes, more movement options...

sibarraz

Banned
This ps2 classics games have trophies?

I know that online isn't a go, which sucks since I think that the neo geo ps2 games were online enabled in japan

Tizoc

Remind me if this release has any censorship of blood or any kind?
I can get if Mary's boobs are cenesored in RB1, but any other kind would put me off from getting the US release and get it off JP PSN should it appear on there :X

BTW I noticed there is no mention of Dominated Mind at all...

Top Bottom