• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii "theoretically hacked" says famous hacker tmbinc

Ian

Google translator to the rescue.
Of Nintendo new play console Wii the hearts of Techniktüftlern let strike more highly. “You is a perfect goal for hackers”, jubilierte Michael steep, head of the Xbox hackers, on Thursday on that 23. Chaos Communication Congress (23C3) in Berlin. Reason for the joy: The Wii is downward-compatibly with its predecessor, the Gamecube, and therefore also two its attack regions inherited. More work is necessary according to steep against it at the Xbox 360, since it concerns thereby a completely closed and thus “crippled” system. In contrast to the first generation of of Microsoft play console the safety-relevant clearly rigged successor withstood so far all crack attempts.

“There are some well-known Hacks for the Gamecube”, described Felix Domke on the 23C3. Since the Wii has a mode with reduced hardware abilities for playing old programs, “we provided a chopping compatibility list”. Seized of it to a variant of the “Action Replay” - attack, with which a copied Disc spends itself as original and reads Schummeleien in. Still more promisingly seems to the safety testers DVD drive assembly chopping in such a way specified.

With the interface, over which the DVD drive assembly with the core of the Gamecube communicates, the hackers found one serial haven and two back doors. First requires a password, which could be found simple according to with computer-assisted trying out Domke and which contained names as well as the words DVD and Game of the nut/mother company of Nintendo. Over this way one received access to the firmware and the RAM memory of the drive assembly, code to implement and the Authentifizierung from DVDs to stop be able, so that rapidly first Modchips appeared to the “Tuning” of the equipment. At the serial haven one has a comparable attack with the second back door to start and so also a micro CONTROLLER to add be able, what brought a second, still higher performance generation out at Modchips.

“They closed the first back door with the Wii”, unkte Domke. “You changed the password over to lower case.” This way one can have copies run thus from software for the Gamecube. With second a new connection part was added, which does not prevent however a playing of copies of Wii software. It is not yet possible to implement on the new NINT DO console provided code.

To create still with difficulty the hypervisor in the Xbox makes 360, which takes over all coding processes and over the system integrity is awake for the hackers. Theoretically arbitrary own code could run also with this beginning, which Microsoft forbids however. “That is one of the best safety systems, which I saw, praised ever” to Domke the Redmonder. It is unfortunate that one can start on the console still no Linux. Microsoft talks itself meanwhile with the fact out that programmers could write against the payment of a license at a value of 99 US Dollar per year plays in C# for the box and they should to be able to sell in the future also over an on-line market place. Therein a “alibi solution” sees steep, with which Microsoft exercises censorship. At the same time the Redmonder could sue potenzielle future Modchip manufacturers more simply, since their auxiliary offers were not used for playing “own” applications.

Sony set up itself with the Playstation 3 outside of the line of fire of the hackers, since for Linux and other software of third of play-hurry separated range of the inserted non removable disk is approved. USB, Bluetooth and Ethernet can be used so fully, the diagram functions reduced. Domke spoke of a “acceptable compromise”, since the hardware was usable for own applications not completely, but nevertheless to a large extent. It gives “few incentives” for hackers, who abzuchecken console on weak points also of the hypervisor which is used into it. (Stefan Krempl)/(thl/c't)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gaia Theory said:
HOLY SHIT! NO WAY! AWESOME NEWS!! .. .. . . ...

Seriously, who gives a shit? Oh yeah, right, all the pirates and 'importers.'

And programmers who would love to make a Wii channel, and web developers who want to get at the innards of Wii Opera, and homebrewers who want to make their NES/SNES/Genesis homebrew available via Virtual Console, and media types who want a Music Library channel and...

Why are you posting in this thread again? If you really don't give a shit, wouldn't you not click on the thread? It's not like the title is sneaky or anything.

Easy_G

Of Nintendo new play console Wii the hearts of Techniktüftlern let strike more highly. “You is a perfect goal for hackers”, jubilierte Michael steep, head of the Xbox hackers, on Thursday on that 23. Chaos Communication Congress (23C3) in Berlin. Reason for the joy: The Wii is downward-compatibly with its predecessor, the Gamecube, and therefore also two its attack regions inherited. More work is necessary according to steep against it at the Xbox 360, since it concerns thereby a completely closed and thus “crippled” system. In contrast to the first generation of of Microsoft play console the safety-relevant clearly rigged successor withstood so far all crack attempts.

“There are some well-known Hacks for the Gamecube”, described Felix Domke on the 23C3. Since the Wii has a mode with reduced hardware abilities for playing old programs, “we provided a chopping compatibility list”. Seized of it to a variant of the “Action Replay” - attack, with which a copied Disc spends itself as original and reads Schummeleien in. Still more promisingly seems to the safety testers DVD drive assembly chopping in such a way specified.

With the interface, over which the DVD drive assembly with the core of the Gamecube communicates, the hackers found one serial haven and two back doors. First requires a password, which could be found simple according to with computer-assisted trying out Domke and which contained names as well as the words DVD and Game of the nut/mother company of Nintendo. Over this way one received access to the firmware and the RAM memory of the drive assembly, code to implement and the Authentifizierung from DVDs to stop be able, so that rapidly first Modchips appeared to the “Tuning” of the equipment. At the serial haven one has a comparable attack with the second back door to start and so also a micro CONTROLLER to add be able, what brought a second, still higher performance generation out at Modchips.

“They closed the first back door with the Wii”, unkte Domke. “You changed the password over to lower case.” This way one can have copies run thus from software for the Gamecube. With second a new connection part was added, which does not prevent however a playing of copies of Wii software. It is not yet possible to implement on the new NINT DO console provided code.

To create still with difficulty the hypervisor in the Xbox makes 360, which takes over all coding processes and over the system integrity is awake for the hackers. Theoretically arbitrary own code could run also with this beginning, which Microsoft forbids however. “That is one of the best safety systems, which I saw, praised ever” to Domke the Redmonder. It is unfortunate that one can start on the console still no Linux. Microsoft talks itself meanwhile with the fact out that programmers could write against the payment of a license at a value of 99 US Dollar per year plays in C# for the box and they should to be able to sell in the future also over an on-line market place. Therein a “alibi solution” sees steep, with which Microsoft exercises censorship. At the same time the Redmonder could sue potenzielle future Modchip manufacturers more simply, since their auxiliary offers were not used for playing “own” applications.

Sony set up itself the bomb with the Playstation 3 outside of the line of fire of the hackers, since for Linux and other software of third of play-hurry separated range of the inserted non removable disk is approved. USB, Bluetooth and Ethernet can be used so fully, the diagram functions reduced. Domke spoke of a “acceptable compromise”, since the hardware was usable for own applications not completely, but nevertheless to a large extent. It gives “few incentives” for hackers, who abzuchecken console on weak points also of the hypervisor which is used into it. (Stefan Krempl)/(thl/c't)

fixed

Hopefully someone will find a way to hack the system so I can shop at the US & Japanese stores on my Euro console. It'd be nice to get my hands on some of the stuff that's unlikely to make it out over here, and to see some proper 60Hz versions of games...

FoxSpirit

Gaia Theory said:

I import. Real games. For money. For my DS. Because it's region free. Europe misses out on a lot of games.

Short and to the point, yes, I really care for that. Go, freeloader go(6.0B)!! :D

Dachande

Gaia Theory said:

Suddenly importers aren't legit? Screw you.

_bla_

It looks like the serial port on the drive is still there, and debug mode (just password changed) is still there. GC and Wii Backups are possible and GC Homebrew. Wii Homebrew (and very likely regionfree) isn't yet possible because Wii discs are signed.

Alpha_eX

As long as I can import games for my Wii then i'm all for the hacking. I won't pirate the games, I like to have the originals but that's an obvious problem that lies ahead.

Karki

Can we all stop thread shitting? If this guy is behind gamecube modding, his "theoretical" actually means something.

Can anyone read german and translate the main points of the article?

EDIT: Also, all your base and underpants gnome catch phrases need to be bannable or something.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
And programmers who would love to make a Wii channel, and web developers who want to get at the innards of Wii Opera, and homebrewers who want to make their NES/SNES/Genesis homebrew available via Virtual Console, and media types who want a Music Library channel and...

Why are you posting in this thread again? If you really don't give a shit, wouldn't you not click on the thread? It's not like the title is sneaky or anything.

I want all of those you mentioned! Damn you nintendo just release the source code so we can do your job better than you..

Speevy

Banned
I don't get what the big deal is.

The PS3, without hacking, does everything this "community" could want right out of the box.

So unless someone just wants a cheaper hackbox I don't get the appeal.

Eric_S

Speevy said:

Region free gaming would be a big deal for me, even if I wouldn't get to use them online (of course, I don't play games online, so...).

All I want is somebody to make something that makes my Wii region free without me having to do anything before playing a game. PLEASE.

301206033342_1big.jpg

301206033342_2big.jpg

301206033342_3big.jpg

301206033343_4big.jpg

Juice

Uh oh.

After letting the firmware wars completely sap my enjoyment of the PSP, this is one scene I'm deciding to not start following.

japtor

empanada said:
I'm hoping for a media center channel.
corecodec seems to be working on something. hopefully for end users rather than the whole divx thing factor 5 had for devs on cube.
Speevy said:

The PS3, without hacking, does everything this "community" could want right out of the box.

So unless someone just wants a cheaper hackbox I don't get the appeal.
well 500/600 vs 250 is a pretty big difference, so yeah theres some appeal there when its cheaper by that much.

id be happy just to play drill land and puzzle collection without hassle.

Juice said:
Uh oh.

After letting the firmware wars completely sap my enjoyment of the PSP, this is one scene I'm deciding to not start following.

Firmware hacks made the PSP what it is.

As a standard system it fails but as a running from MS, 333 Mhz, custom firmware toting PSX emulator it does quite well.

That said the only hack I'm looking for on the Wii is a regionfree one.

Second said:
VC theoretically PWNED.

?
Well, no, if there's any accuracy to those images posted shortly before your message. It says Wii disc copies could be played, but that wouldn't cover Virtual Console games or homebrew emulators.

Speevy

Banned
replicashooter said:
Firmware hacks made the PSP what it is.

I would certainly hope not. I doubt hackers want to take credit for the PSP's complete inability to take Nintendo's handheld market, either now or in the future.

Brashnir

_bla_ said:
It looks like the serial port on the drive is still there, and debug mode (just password changed) is still there. GC and Wii Backups are possible and GC Homebrew. Wii Homebrew (and very likely regionfree) isn't yet possible because Wii discs are signed.

So theoretically, all we have to do is get a torpedo into the small thermal exhaust port just below the main port.

It's almost too easy...

Speevy said:
I would certainly hope not. I doubt hackers want to take credit for the PSP's complete inability to take Nintendo's handheld market, either now or in the future.

Always black or white on gaf, isn't it?

Dazzyman

All your bases belong to us!

Isnt it pointles though with internet connected machines as their always getting updated.

Top Bottom