• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Yooka-Laylee performance

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I thought Pro support was required by Sony?

No PS4 Pro support is disappointing. It would be interesting though if they could aim for 60fps on the Pro, like Snake Pass. I hope it's still happining in the future.

Kevin

The recent games skipping Pro support is making me scratch my head. Wasn't it supposed to be mandatory for every game?

Yup this is what I thought. Why make a Pro at all if so many games are not even going to support the extra hardware. Lazy developers!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I don't know what's up with the lack of Pro support. It really, truly could use it. Either for a higher resolution or just faster performance.

Locked 30fps sounds good to me since I only have a PS4 anyway. Awesome.

Will pick up when the price goes down fo sho. Looks like basically exactly what you'd expect from this kinda game, idk what people were expecting, haha. BK and BT are sacred cows in many ways, especially the latter. Them replicating that style of gameplay wasn't going to result in 9s and 10s.

charsace

No way could they make pro support mandatory. It's up to Sony to make pro support as easy as possible. Some developers just won't have the time and budget to invest in pro enhancements.

Vinc

Why are people still expecting 60fps Pro patches when the game is 30 fps?

Locked 30 on base PS4 suggests that there's a decent bit of overhead, which means 60 frames isn't out of the realm of possibility on Pro. That's what happened with Snake Pass, for example.

Kyari

Yup this is what I thought. Why make a Pro at all if so many games are not even going to support the extra hardware. Lazy developers!

It's an entire layer of extra bug testing and etc if they tweak a build specifically for pro.
It makes no financial sense for a lot of developers, especially smaller ones, to support a pro exclusive version.

Bsigg12

Locked 60fps sounds good to me since I only have a PS4 anyway. Awesome.

Will pick up when the price goes down fo sho. Looks like basically exactly what you'd expect from this kinda game, idk what people were expecting, haha. BK and BT are sacred cows in many ways, especially the latter. Them replicating that style of gameplay wasn't going to result in 9s and 10s.

You mean locked 30 right?

dan2026

It's entirely up to the developers.

Also Pro doesn't magically make everything run at 60fps i would tame those expectations before you continuously let yourself down.

No it isn't.
When the pro first game out Sony said it was mandatory.

styl3s

Locked 30 on base PS4 suggests that there's a decent bit of overhead, which means 60 frames isn't out of the realm of possibility on Pro. That's what happened with Snake Pass, for example.
Snake Pass is also a significantly smaller game in scope.

No it isn't.
When the pro first game out Sony said it was mandatory.
Yes it is read the release FAQ.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

I don't know why people keep quoting a "leaked document" when Sony has said multiple times it's entirely up to the developers.

LordOfChaos

This was made with two million dollars and something under 50 employees iirc, targeting three platforms at launch and the Switch later.

Most of the time when people say lazy developers, it's really "developers bound by money and time".

It's weird that they didn't drop the resolution on Xbox One unless they feel they can get it up to snuff eventually.
Though it's good that they've managed to patch it before launch so it seems fairly good on both.
A lot of review footage looked really rough so it's unfortunate thats how reviewers played it. Probably dropped the score quite a bit than if they waited to give out codes closer to launch

nkarafo

So maybe add a couple of points in all review scores then? The game was heavily criticized for it's poor performance but it seems like it wasn't an issue with the actual game. And even if there was a problem, it's fixed now, before the actual release.

Atolm

In this day and age after being spoiled by Galaxy and SM3DW no way in hell I'll play a platformer at 30fps.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Are they still planning a switch port?

It'll be interesting to see how unity ports over in comparison to UE4. Snake Pass ported very well.

This was made with two million dollars and something under 50 employees iirc, targeting three platforms at launch and the Switch later.

Most of the time when people say lazy developers, it's really "developers bound by money and time".

You mean you don't just push a couple buttons and flip a switch?

Snake Pass is also a significantly smaller game in scope.

Yes it is read the release FAQ.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

That leaked document everyone keeps quoting as mandatory was never actually put out by Sony i don't know why people keep bringing that up when they have stated multiple times it's entirely up to the developers.

I don't know what we can do to convince people it's not mandatory when they're already in a thread about a game that doesn't have a pro mode. It couldn't more blatantly not be mandatory.

You said the game was 30fps. Not sure how that stops it from being patched to 60.
I was more saying the expectation shouldn't be for a game that is 30fps to get a patch to 60fps. Look at how many games with Pro support have not been upped to 60fps. Pro is more for stabilizing whatever the original target framerate is.

Glix

It's entirely up to the developers.

Also Pro doesn't magically make everything run at 60fps i would tame those expectations before you continuously let yourself down.

Wat?? I could swear that during the initial presentation they said all games that ship after a certain date will have a pro mode, and some older games will be patched.

I am like 99% sure of it.

EDIT - ahhh I guess it was first party only
Further to that, all first party software launched in 2017 and beyond, including Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and Gran Turismo Sport, will enjoy the benefits of the world's most powerful console.

Asmodai48

I was more saying the expectation shouldn't be for a game that is 30fps to get a patch to 60fps. Look at how many games with Pro support have not been upped to 60fps. Pro is more for stabilizing whatever the original target framerate is.

Then that is a shitload of wasted power. At least up the resolution.

Which games besides this one have skipped Pro Support? Genuinely asking because this game is the first I've heard of it.
Lego City Undercover has no support for Pro. Berserk and the Band of the Hawk and Atelier Firis didn't have Pro support either, I am sure. There might be more like some of the indie games but I have no idea. Do indie games bother with 4k resolution on Pro?

Top Bottom