• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice releasing DRM-FREE on GOG

In today's surprise announcement, Ninja Theory's Hellblade is coming to GOG DRM-free!

From Ninja Theory, the creators of DmC: Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, comes Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice – a haunting tale of Senua, a celtic warrior struggling with trauma and psychosis. It's a completely independent title that may surprise you in more than one way.

Is it hopeful that AAA games will start coming to GOG as the norm?

Risev1

It's an Independent AAA game, at least according to Ninja Theory.

Really looking forward to it.
Wasn't their combat built on intimate 1v1 or 1v2 encounters particularly because it's a low budget title being developed by a small team? At least I remember reading that a couple of years ago. If so, this doesn't scream AAA to be honest.

Beautiful motion capture though.

yurinka

Steam allows you to play with your accounts in different computers, which for me is enough. What are the advantages for a player to get it as DRM-free in GOG?

The only difference I can think about this is people may pirate a game faster if it's DRM-free, which is not good.

GavinUK86

Wasn't their combat built on intimate 1v1 or 1v2 encounters particularly because it's a low budget title being developed by a small team? At least I remember reading that a couple of years ago. If so, this doesn't scream AAA to be honest.

Beautiful motion capture though.

And they wanted it more intimate. It's in between AAA and Indie. Self published but with the quality of multi-million dollar budget games yet with a quarter of that budget.

The only difference I can think about this is people may pirate a game faster if it's DRM-free, which is not good.

This is an incredibly ignorant statement as pirates are as quick to pirate Steam games within a day, sometimes even before it is released. The advantages of buying it on GOG are that you don't need a client to play it with and the game is yours to keep forever and cannot be revoked from your account. It also sends the message that people want to buy and own digital software as opposed to some numbers from a license key. You can also download and play the game on any computer as long as that computer connects to GOG in order to download it, so I'm not seeing how that's different to Steam? Also, since you own the game, you keep the .exe in a nicely packaged file that you can transfer offline between devices.

Crzy1

Bleh, was hoping they'd sneak a release date. Good to know it will be on GOG, but I'll probably buy it on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is an incredibly ignorant statement as pirates are as quick to pirate Steam games within a day, sometimes even before it is released.

There's never been a case of a Steam game being cracked prior to release. Upon release, yes, but never before as both retail disc data and pre-load data is encrypted.

ClearData

I am interested in this game. If it reviews well I'd be happy to buy the game on GOG. It is cool to support the developers and, if GOG versions sell well, show publishers that they should shackle their games with DRM like Denuvo less. That probably is too optimistic, but here's to hoping.

There's never been a case of a Steam game being cracked prior to release. Upon release, yes, but never before as both retail disc data and pre-load data is encrypted.

What are you talking about? This has been the case for years as far back as 2013 as I remember it. A game, no longer on Steam and for sale, called Dreamkiller was also a victim of this and that game is quite old now.

JaseC

What are you talking about? This has been the case for years as far back as 2013 as I remember it

Thief's pre-load/disc data wasn't cracked. It just had a staggered release schedule and unlocked in AU/NZ well before the US.

A game, no longer on Steam and for sale, called Dreamkiller was also a victim of this and that game is quite old now.

That doesn't seem to be accurate, either. SKIDROW's release is dated October 13th, 2009.

Tizoc

I may just get it off gog at this point
I do hope it gets updated on gog and steam without a. Big time gal

Instro

Is there any actual gameplay details/video on this thing? I feel like I've heard about it forever, yet I don't know any info outside of it being an action game of some kind.

Thief's pre-load data wasn't cracked. It just had a staggered release schedule and unlocked in AU/NZ well before the US.

Where is your information from where Thief was released "well before" the US in AU/NZ? Thief came out February 25th 2014 in NA and everywhere else afterwards:
wccftech said:
"As you can see, Thief leaked a couple of days before the release date of 25th February (the screenshots were taken at the time of writing). The console version was leaked about 5 days ago while the PC version was leaked and cracked one day before release. There have been isolated instances of Thief being unlocked in specific regions but the official launch date was 25th of February. And its not just Thief, games in general get their DRM cracked (mostly Steam Protection) instantly upon release."

That doesn't seem to be accurate, either. The oldest listing on Pirate Bay is dated October 13th, 2009.

Are you kidding me now? Pirate Bay has been around with listings since 2003 or 2004. Hell, I only know about Dreamkiller because I saw it on Google search results as pirate copies years after its release, only to find out that the game was cracked and uploaded before its Steam release. Obviously, those links don't exist anymore.

Nzyme32

I like that the differentiation and meaning of "AAA" is so meandering and arbitrary that this game can be thought of as "AAA" by some.

JaseC

Where is your information from where Thief was released "well before" the US in AU/NZ? Thief came out February 25th 2014 in NA and everywhere else afterwards:

Actually, I misremembered slightly: it unlocked in Asia first.

Are you kidding me now? Pirate Bay has been around with listings since 2003 or 2004. Hell, I only know about Dreamkiller because I saw it on Google search results as pirate copies years after its release, only to find out that the game was cracked and uploaded before its Steam release. Obviously, those links don't exist anymore.

Context matters. ;) I was talking about Dreamkiller specifically. Are you sure you're not misremembering? Searching Google with the keywords "Dreamkiller", "Steam" and "cracked" and a date range of January 1st, 2009 through October 12th, 2009 doesn't return anything that even so much as suggests the game was cracked prior to release.

Okay, so even if it did release in Asia first, it would have been only by a few hours and even so, the game was still up to torrent before the NA release of Feb 25th. I can safely say this argument does not hold water with a few hours, compared to years of piracy.

Context matters. ;) I was talking about Dreamkiller specifically.

Well as I said, the original links do not exist anymore but I don't want anybody to link anything dodgy here.

JaseC

Okay, so even if it did release in Asia first, it would have been only by a few hours and even so, the game was still up to torrent before the NA release of Feb 25th. I can safely say this argument does not hold water with a few hours, compared to years of piracy.

It unlocked in the US a little under 17-and-a-half hours later, and remember I said that Steam's pre-load/retail disc data has never been cracked, not that Steam games haven't been cracked before their release elsewhere in the world. Those are two very different statements and obviously the latter wouldn't make much sense.

Well as I said, the original links do not exist anymore but I don't want anybody to link anything dodgy here.

Feel free to PM me a link. As per my edit, I went looking but didn't find anything to support your claim.

Risev1

And they wanted it more intimate. It's in between AAA and Indie. Self published but with the quality of multi-million dollar budget games yet with a quarter of that budget.

Yeah don't get me wrong I don't think it's a bad thing at all. I'm just thinking we might need another term than independent AAA is all.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, it's cool. I'll buy it day 1 because of the GOG release. DRM-free is really the only way that most PC games are worth full price to me.

madjoki

Due to timezones, Asia would be about ~20 hours ahead of US.

Site claims it was few days earlier but their "proof" shows it's actually x360 version they talk about.

Thief-Leaked-Heavily-Pirated.png

Mifec

Due to timezones, Asia would be about ~20 hours ahead of US.

Site claims it was few days earlier but their "proof" shows it's actually x360 version they talk about.

Thief-Leaked-Heavily-Pirated.png

All PS3 and Xbox 360 games leak up to 5 days before release anyway so idk why they thought it was anything special.

Does GOG do refunds?

Basically, no. If you can't get the game to start on your PC, and Gog Support isn't able to fix the problem, they'll refund the money. But they will only do "buyers remorse" refunds if you haven't actually downloaded the game yet.

It's a bit of a shame, but there's basically no way to "return" DRM-free software—there's no license for GoG to revoke in exchange for your money back. Personally, I'm more than willing to make the trade-off.

Top Bottom