• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes import impressions

Aizo

Banned
There's no Japanese release OT, and I don't really wanna go to gamefaqs for info. I hope it's fine to have this thread until the OT comes. I wouldn't mind if this gets locked then or gets its name changed to "Import thread" now. Maybe that would have been better.

I started Echoes today, and I hope I'm not making any stupid decisions with my reclassing right now. Tips?

ryushe

Yes, there are support conversations. No marriage or children though.
Thank goodness.

Kids were great (and broken) in Awakening since they were, more or less part of the story but kids were handled so stupidly in Fates, I rather not deal with them anymore unless they are again prominently apart of the story.

Great game but the biggest problem is it doesn't fix the original game's greatest weakness. The map designs are horrible. Either they're incredibly bland, or just aggravating to navigate. Maps with a single path with sand everywhere to slow you down, or a mountain taking up on the of the map.

Everything else from the art, music, and the new features are a lot of fun. God I hate the maps in Gaiden.

Weebos

Banned
Thank goodness.

Kids were great (and broken) in Awakening since they were, more or less part of the story but kids were handled so stupidly in Fates, I rather not deal with them anymore unless they are again prominently apart of the story.

Yeah, I really enjoy the marriage and children system, but I'm all for a break.

The supports in this game work like the GBA supports, right?

Hylian7

Great game but the biggest problem is it doesn't fix the original game's greatest weakness. The map designs are horrible. Either they're incredibly bland, or just aggravating to navigate. Maps with a single path with sand everywhere to slow you down, or a mountain taking up on the of the map.

Everything else from the art, music, and the new features are a lot of fun. God I hate the maps in Gaiden.

:( I was hoping the remake would at least improve to some degree in this regard.

BaconHat

That's a shame. Are they 1/1 recreation of the original maps or just equally terrible to the originals?

In another topic, how is the story this time? Any good?

That's a shame. Are they 1/1 recreation of the original maps or just equally terrible to the originals?

I another topic, how is the story this time? Any good?

A lot of them are 1/1 recreations. There are some minor tweaks like the lame dungeon maps. That's off the top of my head.

The plot is definitely improved. That was the only other thing the original game badly needed to improve on.

I just started to pick up the Fire Emblem games. I'm looking forward to this new one. One question, does the series have a continuous story or can I jump in-and-out of any game?

Does the dungeon crawling make the game feel tedious or padded?

My ideal flow for a FE game (or SRPG/TRPG in general) is quick cutscene-->dumped to a map. Even in XCOM where managing the base is tied to everything that happens on the battlefield, I always just wanted to get that over with and get back to the core gameplay.

I'm open to new things though.

kswiston

I just started to pick up the Fire Emblem games. I'm looking forward to this new one. One question, does the series have a continuous story or can I jump in-and-out of any game?

They are all standalone, but a few of the games are prequels/sequels that will offer easter eggs if you played the companion title.

Does the dungeon crawling make the game feel tedious or padded?

My ideal flow for a FE game (or SRPG/TRPG in general) is quick cutscene-->dumped to a map. Even in XCOM where managing the base is tied to everything that happens on the battlefield, I always just wanted to get that over with and get back to the core gameplay.

I'm open to new things though.

I haven't seen too many dungeons, but in the original, they felt superfluous. Two screens walking through the same looking area.

This the remake, they spice it up with action elements. Almost Zelda like where you control the character and run around the map slashing at bushes and treasure chests. If you land a hit on the enemies you see, that enemies start the fight with slightly reduced HP.

It is like Final Fantasy where the majority of the games do not connect to each other. Just the general theme remains mostly the same throughout the series.

Draxal

Tbh, people that were buying the the import (or domestic copies of they were in Japan)were waiting for their copies of Valentia edition, so you will see more impressions when they get them.

Very pleased with what they did with the game, with the exception of Efi/Faye. Don't like that character trope showing up TOOOOO much.

I haven't seen too many dungeons, but in the original, they felt superfluous. Two screens walking through the same looking area.

This the remake, they spice it up with action elements. Almost Zelda like where you control the character and run around the map slashing at bushes and treasure chests. If you land a hit on the enemies you see, that enemies start the fight with slightly reduced HP.

Gotcha, thanks.

Guess I'll find out in about a month.

Aizo

Banned
Maybe I should've called this the import discussion? Looks like it'll be mostly questions from people who don't have it instead of answers from those who do have it hahah.

Thanks, mystery mod.

To answer the question about the story, it's far too early for me to say much, but I've enjoyed it in the first hour. Worried that the villain is just as shallow as the past few games. Anyway, much more playable than the original game to me.

I'm a bit concerned that there will be too much grinding in the dungeons and all.

I don't understand how reclassing works yet. Can I just reclass infinitely, so I shouldn't worry about choosing the wrong class right now?

Aizo

Banned
Tbh, people that were buying the the import (or domestic copies of they were in Japan)were waiting for their copies of Valentia edition, so you will see more impressions when they get them.

Very pleased with what they did with the game, with the exception of Efi/Faye. Don't like that character trope showing up TOOOOO much.
I got my Valentia edition this morning about 10 mins before I left for work. :D
It is beautiful.

Azuran

Banned

Hype completely gone.

Anime cutscenes won't temp me when the maps are still absolute unfun trash.

nickgia

Goddamnit

I'm a bit concerned that there will be too much grinding in the dungeons and all.

I don't understand how reclassing works yet. Can I just reclass infinitely, so I shouldn't worry about choosing the wrong class right now?

If you are playing on normal there is no point in worrying about grinding because the game is piss-easy.

Not sure what you are confused about concerning classes. Just get a good mix (at least one archer, mage and healer) out of your initial childhood friends party. It's a linear upgrade path otherwise.

Draxal

I got my Valentia edition this morning about 10 mins before I left for work. :D
It is beautiful.

The game got leaked about two weeks ago and alot of the details are known, so it's kinda weird. Discussion wasn't allowed on Gaf proper, but alot of discussion was done at the usual places.

Grats on Valentia edition, I'm trying to procure copies of the Celica and Alm card for my collection.

Theosmeo

I wonder if there's paired endings in this game?

Fates and Awakening were lazily done in my opinion. If not, that's cool tho.

There kinda are but they're based on characters dieing. The relationships are prewritten so they feel more natural than many of the ones in FE13/FE14 and even some of the FE4 and FE6 ones. Still not as good as the Tellius ones but this game isn't really on that scale. Just be careful with Grey, Tobin, and Clair: one of them dieing greatly affects the other's endings.

Chrom

I haven't played Gaiden in any form, so I am still in. Can the maps be worse than Shadow Dragon?

Yes.

C8gu_-xXYAEXV7L.jpg

They are all standalone, but a few of the games are prequels/sequels that will offer easter eggs if you played the companion title.

It is like Final Fantasy where the majority of the games do not connect to each other. Just the general theme remains mostly the same throughout the series.

Thank you, guys. This kinda answers my question. I can play them in the order I receive them and not worry about it.

I haven't played Gaiden in any form, so I am still in. Can the maps be worse than Shadow Dragon?

What? Shadow Dragon is amazing compared to Gaiden's map design.

I think Echos is still pretty fun in it's own right. They added a lot of interesting things to the game that you won't find in any other Fire Emblems.

Thank you, guys. This kinda answers my question. I can play them in the order I receive them and not worry about it.

Their impressions are kind of off. The games do connect, very tightly. However, they switch sagas every 2 games or so. They do try to fill you in as much as possible even if you never played the original. Ironically, there is only 1 complete saga translated into English. The other are either incomplete, or strange stand alones. For example, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is a direct sequel to Path of Radiance. So playing both feels more complete. However, Sacred Stones (which came before POR) is completely stand alone. Fire Emblem before Sacred Stone is a prequel to the Japanese only Binding Blade.

This game is a side story that has cameos from Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, but you won't miss anything by not playing Shadow Dragon.

Cerium

Support conversations! Game is saved.

Unfortunately I don't think I can go back to squinting at the 3DS screen anymore.

CEJames

Thank goodness.

Thank you. I thought they were great for Awakening as well but couldn't help but think it was nothing more than filler in Fates, in regards to their presentation. Some of the writing for their support conversations were so poor and contrived to the extent of just being forced. They could have put less effort on the children and more on the overall world/story itself.(....and not split it in 3 parts/games -_-)

I hope they aren't the focus in the Fire Emblem on the Switch either.....They need to get back to the world-building quality of Path of Radiance/& Radiant Dawn.

Aizo

Banned
I'm just happy it seems all lines are voiced. No more random sighs and shit. Helps me a lot, because my listening is better than my reading.

Are all lines voiced all the way through?

L95

The supports in this game work like the GBA supports, right?

Kinda, you don't have to be adjacent to gain support points, the conversations take place on the battle map.

Also: every character has three sets of base conversations with Alm or Celica. They're kinda like supports, though they don't give stat bonuses. I think.

One more thing Some supports and base convos can only only be unlocked after a certain amount of gameplay progression, so don't be confused if you've been grinding a B pair for the A rank and it never triggers.

I'm just happy it seems all lines are voiced. No more random sighs and shit. Helps me a lot, because my listening is better than my reading.

Are all lines voiced all the way through?

All playable characters, major NPCs and some minor NPCs are fully voiced for the entire game. Every now and then there'll be a random minor faceless NPC with no VA though.

Haven't personally seen it, but I believe it should support 3D since the final boxart doesn't have a note saying it's only playable in 2D like Pikmin does.

Thanks. I'm afraid 3D will be less of a priority as they sunset the system. Especially after the lack of 3D in first party releases like Pokemon S&M and Hey! Pikmin.

hongcha

Just got my copy today. I've only played a bit, but one thing I'd like to mention which I have not read elsewhere is this game has the option to play in CHINESE language (both traditional and simplified characters are selectable). That is really cool, I don't recall any other first party Nintendo game doing this.

You can choose the language from the "extra" menu on the title screen.

Having finished the first chapter, I feel that the new things introduced in Echoes are held back by being introduced in a Gaiden remake of all things. For example, the new weapon skill system. By the end of the first chapter, I had five swordsmen but only two non-basic swords to pass around to make use of weapon skills and make my units more than just stats; had two non-basic swords because that's what the original Gaiden apparently gave you by the end of the first chapter. Also had four lancers, but again only two non-basic lances to pass around. The...strange adherence to Gaiden stops the mechanic from shining as well as, say, Awakening's Pair Up did in its debut. Having to grind out a weapon's skills before being able to use them and, far as I can tell, having to keep said weapon to be able to use it aren't exactly making it shine any better. Gets in the way of the RPG Echoes seems to be trying to be.

On a separate note, diving just a tiny bit into the next chapter before I call it a day, I have to say I find Celica's starting group far more interesting. They're all fragile mages that play with Gaiden's magic system which only brings them even closer to death. First fight might've been easy regardless and the next couple probably won't be much harder, but I like it.

Top Bottom