• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arlo: The Nintendo Switch's Unique Opportunity. He Fucking Nails it

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sje19RQ_euc

Arlo basically breaks down why the switch is so unique from any other handheld and why just playing any game on it is a godsend, when he talks about playing resident evil 4 on the switch, im like YES thats exactly it, thats exactly what we're all thinking.

Zedark

Saw it a few minutes ago. This is why I like the Switch so much too, and why I hope it will be a big success and attract many third parties to develop for it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Saw it a few minutes ago. This is why I like the Switch so much too, and why I hope it will be a big success and attract many third parties to develop for it.

I'd love to play the ME trilogy on the switch, for some reason that really caught my attention when he said it.

AColdDay

I totally agreed with everything that was said here. The ability to drop in and drop out of a game means that you can fill in those quiet moments of your busy life where instead of looking at your phone, you can play a few minutes of a game. Not little handheld games, not little mobile games, but real full games at high resolution (though on the low end of the HD scale).

I've played so much more on the Switch than I have put into a console in years.

Zedark

I'd love to play the ME trilogy on the switch, for some reason that really caught my attention when he said it.
I am personally stoked that a Tales title has been confirmed for the system already. Hoping for future JRPGS and Open world RPGS to come to Switch as well, now that BOTW has shown how comfortable it can be.

I'd never watched an Arlo video before, I loved it.

Also, great points that I agree with across the board. This has also been my experience except for the fact that I've always wanted a hybrid system in this vein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sje19RQ_euc

Arlo basically breaks down why the switch is so unique from any other handheld and why just playing any game on it is a godsend, when he talks about playing resident evil 4 on the switch, im like YES thats exactly it, thats exactly what we're all thinking.

I'm actually thinking the exact opposite with a large part of the video. I'm already fed up with hearing about games getting switch versions, and that's just with Mario Kart, BOTW and Rayman Legends.

Realistically, if I got a Switch this year, I'd probably end up with just Super Mario Oddessy, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 (if they really launch that this year). And that's a weird place for me to be, in terms of thinking, since I normally buy 3 games at launch for a system in the first place, and I've not really felt such apathy for a Nintendo console before.

I'm not calling it a weak lineup, or even insinuating that, 3 games of the likes of what I hope Super Mario/Xenoblade 2/Splatoon 2 end up being in the first year is a great line up, plus the solid ports/upgrades of other titles its getting, but .... there's something about Switch that I'm still not feeling, and I'm not sure why. Still burnt out from the last few poor years of the Wii U, combined with uncertainty in support from the big third parties, maybe.

As an aside though, this muppet talking on video was entertaining, surprised I've never seen the channel before.

How much I wish Nintendo included more available storage in the system.

Is 32gb really enough (obviously less when OS taken into account)?

Not really happy about having to spend another £40+ for another 128gb when that imo is nowhere near enough if I want to go all digital (something Arlo suggests would be great which I agree cos I can't be arsed carrying individual carts around with me).

I spent only £60 to increase my ps4 to 2TB and although the games on The Switch are going to be smaller in size, the ratios still don't favour The Switch (unless I'm wrong here).

Gimme a Switch with another included SD 256gb for £300 and I'll be more interested because surely Nintendo could buy these for much cheaper in bulk than what I'd have to pay.

It's the most convenient system in the market. Going in and out of sleep mode is great and you can play it on the TV and on the go within seconds.
Even stuff I didn't think about such as it being battery powered while docked was pretty great too as it's the only "console" that works while the power goes out. Especially helpful where I live where the lights going out regularly happens at least once a week. I can be playing Zelda on the TV and it automatically switches if the power goes out.
While it's weaker that the competition it gives its games a pretty good selling point that the Wii U lacked and even the Wii did after awhile. It's no longer just the worst version of these games, but a portable experience as well

I'd never watched an Arlo video before, I loved it.

Also, great points that I agree with across the board. This has also been my experience except for the fact that I've always wanted a hybrid system in this vein.

Easily one of the better Nintendo Youtuber's. Worth following him rarely has bad content

boiled goose

good with gravy
I would like all my games on a hybrid sure...

The problem is that I don't buy anything digital on Nintendo. If we had a proper steam-like Nintendo account, then I would be there yesterday.

Dynheart

Banned
It's amazing how on point the video is. I did not think I would use the handheld mode much, but instead I use it every chance I get. Playing handheld mode on the Switch does not feel like a handheld experience, and out side of resolution, does not feel compromised.

I think Nintendo has a winner here.

Syinn

Neo Member
Most of my playtime has definitely been handheld mode. If big third party titles were on board I'd be set.

YES
I hope this system gets every indie I want, because the portability is amazing, and it is so easy to hook it up to peoples TV's when going over, or even being at college and hooking it up to a spare room's projector.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yup, Arlo is right once again. I've been using it more in handheld mode recently, and I'm a believer in the hybrid concept. I hope this continues to do well and more 3rd parties jump on board in 2018.

-shadow-

Even in his worst video I love this guy. The muppet is great and his voice fits perfect with it. I truly wish he could do more content!

Salvadora

Not really happy about having to spend another £40+ for another 128gb when that imo is nowhere near enough if I want to go all digital (something Arlo suggests would be great which I agree cos I can't be arsed carrying individual carts around with me).

I spent only £60 to increase my ps4 to 2TB and although the games on The Switch are going to be smaller in size, the ratios still don't favour The Switch (unless I'm wrong here).

Gimme a Switch with another included SD 256gb for £300 and I'll be more interested because surely Nintendo could buy these for much cheaper in bulk than what I'd have to pay.
It's not enough and undoubtedly will get worse over time as the OS becomes more developed and various patches/DLC come for games bought physically.

Shame, that.

Fliesen

i agree with the video 100%

Nintendo is clearly testing the waters with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. If it does well, they're gonna bring over plenty of Wii U games. I'd rebuy pretty much the entire Wii U first party library if given the chance.

An obvious next release would be New Super Mario Bros U (and maybe Wii) - there's no Wii Gamepad functionality, the game was very early within the Wii U life cycle, and it should be rather easy to port from a technical standpoint.

edit: with regards to the storage discussion above:
I strongly believe that - by means of SD cards - the end user has control over how much storage they need, is great. - whenever the storage is integrated, manufacturers ask for a huge premium per gig, and you need to decide at the time of purchase how much headroom you want for the future. Which means many of us would opt to pay a premium now ... just to make sure.
Do not forget that the fact that the Switch is "a generation behind" in Hardware power also means that its games shouldn't really average to 20 gigs like modern PS4 / Xbox One games do, but come in at about 5-10 gigs, maximum.
Storage prices will keep coming down and since the Switch supports SD cards up to 2TB, you can just upgrade to much bigger storage at a later point, when these kinds of SD cards are at a reasonable $ / GB.

kunonabi

don't really find any of his points personally appealing but I do look forward to picking up a switch in a few years. Those joycons are just too sweet even with the missing speakers and dpad.

Neiteio

I'm only halfway through, but YES.

YES.

YES.

Please, port everything you can to this thing. RE4 being a great example.

There's something so fun about the experience of playing games on Switch. I want it all!

Wedzi

Banned
I did not expect a Muppet when I clicked this video. Will listen to later but the gimmick is strange lol

Vexed

Yeah, I've been dying to play TP or WW in the wake of BOTW. Playing it in the context of the Switch makes so much sense.

I'm just concerned that the immediate demand for the Switch itself is letting them hold onto these sort of things as later plays to induce demand when they feel they need it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For those of us who don't find the portability aspect very appealing i can't i am interested in most of what he says about it, but it does show unique way nintendo could lure in those usually handheld gamers who may be iffy about the switch for whatever reason

Can we all agree there will be another resident evil 4 port on the switch? Lol

I only have botw so it hasn't sunk in cause that's the only trans I've played(which is great) but once more "hardcore" games hit the market it'll be awesome.

Alienous

I mean, yeah, it's the Switch's only hope for major success - to become the definitive Nintendo console.

I'm not so sold on PS3/360-era ports being appealing, but I think instead that good Virtual Console support will be the Switch's killer app. The novelty of playing those games on the go is really appealing.

Trago

What gets me is that what he's saying makes too much sense and I feel the same way. Even though I'm a PC gamer, I'd love to see Switch get a ton of ports of different games so that I can play then whenever the hell I want. I'm in the middle of playing Persona 5 currently. Being able to play that game anywhere is something I really want since I have to wait to get home to play it.

32GB is not enough for the "hard core" audience. Everyone including Nintendo knows that. But they decided they had to meet the $299.99 price point and things had to be cut.

If the console takes off like the Wii, I don't think the "soccer moms" will care about it being 32GB, 64GB, or 1TB. Nintendo made the right business decision in my opinion.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Switch is great but unfortunately it doesn't quite hit the portability sweet spot that the 3DS does. Hopefully a smaller model is in the cards sometime in the future.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath for third parties. No Nintendo platform since the SNES has gotten significant third party support and I don't see the Switch breaking that streak.

I've gotten my hopes up far too many times only to have them dashed with Nintendo. I don't have the energy for it anymore.

Thread title was the /thread.

Since getting the switch, I've been jonesing to play older titles on the go, from Kingdom Hearts to Billy Hatcher. I really hope porting becomes a big thing with the system.

Can definitely see the appeal of being able to take your TV experience on the go but it doesn't do much for me at all. Maybe it's just my apathy for the joycon but I'd much rather save Breath of the Wild and other "console-level" games for my TV, headphones and comfy chair rather than a small screen on the go.

Salvadora

He makes a good point re: Nintendo handheld games vs console games.

They are mostly designed to be bite sized, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I personally don't consume handheld games like that.

Brofield

I may be one of the few who only had a Nintendo console and missed out on several third party games, but truth be told I would be the intended target for some of these re-releases, in that I would be playing Mass Effect, or Fallout, or Far Cry, or Bioshock, all for the first time. Uprezzed graphics by 3.9% is inconsequential to me when I have truly portable experiences for AAA games. Am I thrilled to be paying full price for games, especially in Canadian dollars? Not exactly; I do believe that they can be charged for a few dollars less at the very least based on age when initial development did cease. But that's to be determined based on what games are ported and how successful they are

As for Arlo himself, he gets it. If there were ever a positive while being incredibly realistic Nintendo youtube personality to follow, it's him. Can't recommend him enough to anyone just discovering his content.

Fliesen

I mean, yeah, it's the Switch's only hope for major success - to become the definitive Nintendo console.

I'm not so sold on PS3/360-era ports being appealing, but I think instead that good Virtual Console support will be the Switch's killer app. The novelty of playing those games on the go is really appealing.

it depends on the game. There's "home console grade experiences" that i feel would work better on a handheld than others.
The game needs to be as "approachable" and "flexible" as the Switch itself. In handheld mode, you're playing in a much more 'casual' / less immersive manner. Some games would suffer from that, imho.

I don't think i'd enjoy popping into and out of Resident Evil 4, for example. That game is too much about suspense for that kind of piecemeal playstyle (imho). Meanwhile, i could totally see myself finally finishing Pikmin 3 if i were able to just play it, one mission / day at a time, without all that overhead of asking my girlfriend if she wants to watch something on the TV, turning on the console, loading my save, making sure i make it to the next 'save point'.
The Switch is at the opposite end of the spectrum to my PSVR with regards to how much i need to "commit" myself to each individual gaming session.

Celine

Well yeah it all about the convenience to let you play whenever, wherever you want/need thus Switch motto: Freedom to have fun. Wherever. Whenever.

It's the reason a strong target audience for Switch are growups with little time to game for extended session everyday.
In fact some of the first announcements for Switch were games like Bomberman, Street Fighter 2 and Mana Collection that is classic franchises fondly remembered by lapsed gamers with multiplayer prominence cause the other key component for Switch is that this freedom of "when/where to play" is extended to "how to play" especially in relation to local multiplayer.
For instance a local multiplayer session with Bomberman during launch break can be setup very quickly and effortlessly.

Salex_

Gotta say the change of tone from just a year ago is hilarious. People who vented their frustration with having to play games like Monster Hunter on a tiny low res screen, awful controls, and a slow UI were attacked as if they were saying something controversial.

I'm glad people finally opened their eyes (just look at comments about the 3DS after the Direct lol). Looking forward to playing HD console and handheld-like games on a portable device when GameStop finally gets more stock.

I completely agree. I buy my multiplats on PC but I would much, much rather be able to do so on the Switch just based on how god damn convenient it is to use. It's honestly the best gaming hardware I've ever purchased because of this convenience.

Also I've only ever bought RE:4 once but a Switch port would totally get me to double dip.

This might be the only Nintendo system where ports of old games would actually be worth getting a Switch for. I'd love to play RE4 and other 6th gen games on the go.

Top Bottom