• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 year old Gaffers: which era do you associate your childhood more with?

Question for 20 year olds of GAF: do you associate your childhood more closely with stuff of the early-mid 2000s like Cartoon Cartoons, Yu gi oh, PS2, Malcolm in the Middle, and Tamagotchis?

Or mid-late 2000s stuff like Chowder, Flapjack, Hannah Montana, PS3, Bakugan, The Dark knight, Justin Bieber, Twilight, and smartphones?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12877970/

Since there seems to be a bit of an early-mid 2000s revival gestating(Malcolm in the Middle, That's So Raven, Invader Zim, Zoey 101, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Captain Underpants, The Ring, and Prison Break have been getting/will get revivals, in line with Hollywood's tendency to rehash old properties), I thought I might as well ask people who spent their entire childhood(3-12) throughout the whole decade for some perspective.

Edit: Don't vote on the poll if you're like 23-30 lol. I asked for 20 year olds specifically.

Dereck

Man I'm old
8tzuM27.png

Crayons

Banned
I was born in 1996.

I identify with Spongebob, PS2, GameCube, the Fairly Odd Parents, Drake & Josh, Pokemon Emerald, Diamond and Pearl, and Netflix as a DVD rental company.

So early 2000s stuff. Late 2000s stuff was total trash

Hexa

Question for 20 year olds of GAF: do you associate your childhood more closely with stuff of the early 2000s like Yu gi oh, PS2, Malcolm in the Middle, and Tamagotchis?

Or late 2000s stuff like Hannah Montana, PS3, Bakugan, The Dark knight, Justin Bieber, Twilight, and smartphones?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12877970/

Since there seems to be a bit of an early-mid 2000s revival gestating(Malcolm in the Middle, That's So Raven, Invader Zim, Zoey 101, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Captain Underpants, The Ring, and Prison Break have been getting/will get revivals), I thought I might as well ask people who spent their entire childhood(3-12) throughout the whole decade for some perspective.

A bit older than 20 and I associate the early 2000s with childhood and late 2000s with teenage years.

Disxo

Late 2000,but I do associate my childhood memories with stuff other that smartphones.
Brickphones and old Sega consoles, gotta bless the economic crisis.

I was born in 1996.

I identify with Spongebob, PS2, GameCube, the Fairly Odd Parents, Drake & Josh, Pokemon Emerald, Diamond and Pearl, and Netflix as a DVD rental company.

So early 2000s stuff. Late 2000s stuff was total trash

But Diamond and Pearl came out in 2007. It's a late 2000s thing, is it an exception to the trash rule?

Daingurse

I was born in 1990, and I definitely associate my childhood with the late 90s to early 2000s. Getting a Dreamcast on Christmas 1999, is probably my strongest childhood memory.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Being 20 sucked. I don't envy you.

I was born in 94, so for me I associate my childhood to late 90s and early 00s. I also had an older brother so that helped me get more of the 90s

I was born in 1996 and I would say the Mid to late 2000s. Those were the years where I met my best friend and discovered my favorite music & games.

I'm almost exactly 20, and I remember my childhood as being into the latter half of the 00's.
Anything earlier than the theatrical release of Spider-man 2 is kind of a blur.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm almost exactly 20, and I remember my childhood as being into the latter half of the 00's.
Anything earlier than the theatrical release of Spider-man 2 is kind of a blur.

Getting old is a weird thing. Huh.

My dad pulling me out of school in 8th grade to see the first Spiderman is one of my favorite memories.

Early mid 2000s for me. Sure Hannah Montana was my jam back in my HS years.
But all my favorites are from 2003-2007 for the most part

Born 1990,
Late 80's through early 00's

Perfect time for a childhood,
80's holdovers(GI JOE, Transformers, TMNT, Batman 89 etc)
90's greatness(Batman TAS, Xmen TAS, Spiderman TAS, Jurassic Park, etc)
Early 00's continued goodness(Justice League, Teen Titans, Kim Possible, Fairly Oddparents )

I'd say its closer to 2007-2009, but that's not to say I don't remember growing up gaming with my Gameboy Advance SP and playing Burnout on my friend's PS2.

I'd say that I consider my childhood to include Pokémon red, Kim possible, halo 2 Xbox live blowing my mind, linkin park's hybrid theory, the fast and the furious, limewire, runescape, yugioh, and toonami after school.

In 2000, I was 8 years old.

Vibed

I'm days from 20 and it's basically an indiscernable blend of the two...my early childhood memories was basically 2002-2008ish

I associate with a lot of stuff from the late 80's and 90's especially video game wise, cause I was given a lot of toys, games, and videos from those eras. I remember getting a sealed copy of Super Mario Bros 3 when I was 3 or 4 that I was excited as hell to play.

DigtialT

Mid to late 2000s, I remember watching Hannah Montana in middle school and when Friday came out how it was the worst song ever.

Wulfric

22 this year; Final Fantasy XII was huge when it came out; 2006-2008 was a sweet spot for me. I was still playing Yugioh, Lady Gaga was just hitting the pop scene, and I discovered the furry fandom in 2009. Fun times.

Harusame

I was born in 1993. I definitely identify with the early 2000's (and a bit really late 1990s) for a majority, if not all of my elementary years; Things like Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Beyblade, Dragon Ball Z, and Gameboy Colour/SP. Some of the shows I really enjoyed watching were The Teen Titans, Ned's Declassified School Surivial Guide, Kim Possible, Filmore and few more others that were prominent of YTV and Family Channel (Canadian TV channels). Definitely some of the anime I enjoyed during the early 2000 were Love Hina, Fruits Basket, Hikaru no Go, School Rumble and Shaman King.

Oof, thats a tough question. Gonna have to go with early mid 2000s, since that's where al my favourite childhood cartoons and tv shows came from. 2006-2008 cartoon network was garbage.

I asked for 20 year olds and I'm getting a bunch of 23-30 year olds.

25 year olds were too old to have any part of their childhood in the late 2000s, so you wouldn't have perspective on the question I'm asking.

Top Bottom