• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 VR Trailer (PC): Full game, free update

DeliriousKindheartedAntbear.gif

The Trailer

• Seems to be the full game
  • DLC and character experience etc carry over
  • Crossplay with non-VR PC players
  • Beta sometime in 2017

TVexperto

I cant believe they are still pushing the game, you have to buy so much DLC to even enjoy the game a little bit its so frustrating

Plasma

Banned
I guess we can tell who the VR players are in multiplayer as they will probably be teleporting all over the place.

In VR games like Pavlov where teleporting is an option your character still moves normally but you watch your character run to where you want to teleport to and when they get there you warp back inside of the character's view.

KiraFA37

This is a reason to dust off Payday again. I wonder how they implemented movement if its bad its gunna be Rats only.

Jackpot

Banned
Not that big a fan of one handing weapons that are clearly two-handed. Plenty of other VR games they could learn from.

And then there's just the bullet-spongeyness of Payday 2's enemies.

Sciz

I cant believe they are still pushing the game, you have to buy so much DLC to even enjoy the game a little bit its so frustrating

One of the other things they announced in the stream is an Ultimate Edition due out in a month that contains everything.

Linkup

I really wish more games would get this kind of VR update for the people that can handle the joystick movement. Farcry 4 comes to mind.

TheRed

I've never liked payday with all the objectives you have to do and it getting confusing sometimes. But since I own it I will definitely be playing this, the shooting is always fun. Why's it still say hold RB to take jewelry, couldn't update that?

Aselith

I've never liked payday with all the objectives you have to do and it getting confusing sometimes. But since I own it I will definitely be playing this, the shooting is always fun.

How can you be confused? It comes up and tells you what to do

KarmaCow

One of the other things they announced in the stream is an Ultimate Edition due out in a month that contains everything.

Though if you want the DLC, it's better to buy it before next month because all the DLC is on sale for 85% off, which is cheaper than the Ultimate Edition even if you're buying everything.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It's great that they're making it a free update for existing players instead of making people double dip for the VR version.

Hmm, there's a demo - wonder if they'll add VR support to that too. Could be a good free thing for new VR owners to try out.

most vr games use trackpad movement and skiing movement for locomotion
"Most"? I don't think I've played anything that uses "skiing movement".
Most are either static or use teleportation. More frequently, at least since Touch anyway since it's better equipped for it, there are things that allow free movement which translates to trackpad movement, but it's certainly not "most".

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
"Most"? I don't think I've played anything that uses "skiing movement".
Most are either static or use teleportation. More frequently, at least since Touch anyway since it's better equipped for it, there are things that allow free movement which translates to trackpad movement, but it's certainly not "most".

not talking about anything other than games that have movement in them and they most certainly do have trackpad or skiing for movement over teleport only

Durante

not talking about anything other than games that have movement in them and most certainly do have trackpad or skiing for movement over teleport only
I've played a whole lot of VR games, and I very highly doubt that this is true.

It's certainly becoming more common to have both artificial locomotion and teleporting as options, but there are also many games which use teleport (or some variation thereof, such as teledash) primarily.

Bio-Frost

Yeah, i actually just checked. I own 47 VR games for vive but only about 7 have options for trackpad motion. I play those way more than i do the others but that doesn't mean most have it.

cakefoo

Not that big a fan of one handing weapons that are clearly two-handed. Plenty of other VR games they could learn from.
It looks like 2-handed grip is featured several times in this trailer.

Let's put that shiny new Aim controller to work and bring this to PSVR, eh?
I mean, it'd be great if FPS's supported as many headsets as possible. That said, I figure two-handed rifle handling is the only thing that will feel natural with Aim. Everything else will present a unique challenge to the devs: one handed pistols, grenade throwing, dual wielding at two different targets, etc.

TheRed

How can you be confused? It comes up and tells you what to do

I guess it's not really confusing it's just the game has never clicked with me and when it gives me a new objective to go do, or the drill needs to be restarted while being shot from everywhere I'm more annoyed than having fun and then I just stop playing. I'll give it more time once this comes out though. These type of games just probably aren't for me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is sweet news. I guess maybe theres a chance we will get Syndicate VR too?

KarmaCow

This is sweet news. I guess maybe theres a chance we will get Syndicate VR too?

Does the team that made the Syndicate reboot even exist anymore? This VR thing exists because people still play Payday 2 and Overkill is still working on the game.

ArtHands

Does the team that made the Syndicate reboot even exist anymore? This VR thing exists because people still play Payday 2 and Overkill is still working on the game.

Not very familiar with this, but i do hope so.

I mean, it'd be great if FPS's supported as many headsets as possible. That said, I figure two-handed rifle handling is the only thing that will feel natural with Aim. Everything else will present a unique challenge to the devs: one handed pistols, grenade throwing, dual wielding at two different targets, etc.

It sure didn't stop devs from Dick Wilde and Brookhaven Experiment from supporting it. They both have dual wielding and grenade throwing in their games.

TVexperto

nope wrong:

(*excluding the Ethan and Hila Character Pack available separately as well as any temporary campaign eg. the ‘Lootbag’ DLC or the Completely OVERKILL Pack DLC)

derFeef

That's quite interesting but damn I can't iamgine playing this hectic game in VR at all, especially with trackpad movement. Maybe an exlusive VR group could work with a lowered difficulty, but not cross play.

sca2511

I enjoyed it before I had any DLC, but I did end up picking up most of the mission DLC during Steam sales since I was spending a lot of my time playing anyway.

Though if you want the DLC, it's better to buy it before next month because all the DLC is on sale for 85% off, which is cheaper than the Ultimate Edition even if you're buying everything.

I gotta jump on this

ArtHands

I am glad i prepurchased John Wick Chronicles VR back then, which means I got free Payday 2. And now I got this game free by proxy, lmao

Wardancer

Neo Member

And then there's just the bullet-spongeyness of Payday 2's enemies.

Agreed about the weapon handling, this is by biggest gripe with most of the oculus funded games for example. They all seem to always go for the dual-wield everything mode of weapon interactions which removes all "weapon feel".

It looks like 2-handed grip is featured several times in this trailer.

No he is just resting is hands together to steady his aim, not actually holding the rifle two handed and aiming like that. You can see the second hand just hovering in the air next to the weapon

Not very familiar with this, but i do hope so.

Most of the Syndicate team is now MachineGames. Even if they weren't, Syndicate VR happening would be highly unlikely given how that game bombed. Which sucks, because the co-op mode would be pretty cool in VR. But yeah, this exists because Payday is a big deal and very successful for Starbreeze and something they're still supporting.

cakefoo

It sure didn't stop devs from Dick Wilde and Brookhaven Experiment from supporting it. They both have dual wielding and grenade throwing in their games.
Interesting. I see Brookhaven uses the IMU's for gyro aiming when the player's back is to the camera. What's the grenade throwing, a gesture? Any precision? Just seems like you'd have an inconsistent experience depending on where you're facing.

cakefoo

No he is just resting is hands together to steady his aim, not actually holding the rifle two handed and aiming like that. You can see the second hand just hovering in the air next to the weapon
I don't have time to go back and make a gif, but in the later clips you can see the blue left hand is securely gripping the front of the rifle.

Top Bottom