• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 7 has a 10 million sales target

Resident Evil 7 fell short of its initial sales forecast, but Capcom has high hopes for the survival game to enjoy a healthy run as a catalog title. In a post-earnings Q&A posted on its investor relations site today, Capcom said it wants to see Resident Evil 7 post lifetime sales figures of 10 million units.

From its January debut through the end of the March, Resident Evil 7 shipped 3.5 million copies. Last November, the publisher told investors it planned to sell 4 million copies of the game in the same time frame. Despite the shortfall, Capcom suggested that Resident Evil 7 and another early 2017 release--Monster Hunter XX, which shipped 1.7 million copies in its first two weeks--were both doing well.

"It is a solid start, considering the short span between launch and fiscal year end. Further, unit sales for both titles continue to grow even now," the company said. "What is more, the re-releases of Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 for current generation platforms are an example of successfully leveraging our library of assets; and they shipped a total of 2.8 million units during the fiscal year.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-16-capcom-sets-10-million-target-for-resident-evil-7

Q&A: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

Jawmuncher

Good Luck. RE6 and 5 didn't even make that and they have more casual selling power with the action and coop elements. Bundles will help. But this game won't be hitting that sales mark until it starts sitting at $20 (especially with the DLC included would help).

This isn't even a "my thoughts on RE7". This is going by all the other data and trends of the series sales for each entry thus far. Horror is always a harder sell than action it's just the sad truth.

Loris146

kVaj8JXJcDsqs.gif

Fury451

Banned
Lulz, never change Cacpcom.

It can't need that amount to recoup a profit. The game looked fantastic but also felt "cheap" compared to the scope of 6, 5, or even 4 and those games had way more broad sales appeal.

cordy

Banned
Capcom always gives their games a sales target that's like 2x as large as it needs to be lmao. Since it's sold 3.5M by the end of March I could see it eventually making 5M but 10? Come on bruh.

Hellraider

Why stop at 10? Why not 20? Hell, why not have RE7 outsell every single Resident Evil game's sales combined?

At some point this company has to stop being run by monkeys just because their brothers and fathers used to run the company.

Zukkoyaki

Oh, Capcom.

Can't wait for DMCV to be announced and expected to sell 6 million units. Or maybe a new Ace Attorney expected to sell an extremely modest 5 million units.

Lifetime sales? Depending on how much time constitutes 'lifetime' for them, I could see them hitting this figure. I think 8 million within 4 years is reasonable.

Ray Down

Banned
Didn't Capcom even have a ridiculous expectation for Dragon Dogma?

Like even Resident 5 & 6 didn't sell that much.

SE Tomb Raider expectations looks more reasonable then this...

10M seems a bit steep if they couldn't even match their target of 4M in 3 months.
I guess they can reach that through deep discounts and maybe ports.

Vinc

I can see it happening LTD for sure. The digital age is significantly increasing sales of catalog titles throughout the industry, isn't it?

Jawmuncher

Lulz, never change Cacpcom.

It can't need that amount to recoup a profit. The game looked fantastic but also felt "cheap" compared to the scope of 6, 5, or even 4 and those games had way more broad sales appeal.

It was profitable day one. These expectations can't realistically be met any time soon though. RE6 (Going by the actual solid numbers Capcom has listed on their site) has sold 7.8 million after 5 years. It's gonna be awhile until that hits 10 million. RE5 is at 7.2 million after 8 years. In a best case scenario. RE7 could sell 10 million in 10 years. With another port helping things along.

Lifetime sales? Depending on how much time constitutes 'lifetime' for them, I could see them hitting this figure. I think 8 million within 4 years is reasonable.

I can see it happening LTD for sure. The digital age is significantly increasing sales of catalog titles throughout the industry, isn't it?

Digital has been helping for sure. Fans eat up rereleases. These are the current sales totals for all games in the series (for the numbers capcom have given out)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1366246

I made a note that some titles might be higher since they're just under a million or seperate skus aren't being counted yet. But still RE7 has quite the road to make it to 10 million.

Well, Capcom HAS been pretty generous when it comes to RE sales on PC and PS4 at least so I'd imagine it will have long legs.

10 million doe? Hmm.

This is the excuse Capcom will use when they need to change direction once again for RE8..

Blame the sales for RE7..

And am going to be really angry

Acorn

Why do they always have crazy sales targets?

Do they like having to disappoint shareholders? Gluttons for punishment.

Top Bottom