• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thumper (Switch) Review thread

Scoops

Banned
C5xQ1tYVUAU_R5G.jpg

Game is out today on Switch. I'll post reviews as they come in

Metacritic score: 88/100 (8 reviews)

Nintendo Life - 9/10

Thumper is a fantastic video game, an extravagant rhythm experience that's also a brutal assault on the senses. It's extremely difficult, painfully so at times, yet we feel the need to persevere, retrying tough stages over and over again.

GameSpot - 9/10

Surprisingly little has been sacrificed in the transition to the portable console, and in some ways the fact that you can now hold it close by undocking the Switch makes it a slightly more immersive experience than sitting feet away from your TV. If VR isn't something you have access to or want to invest in, the Switch version of Thumper is arguably the second best route to experience everything this impressive and brutal rhythm game has to offer.

Nintendo World Report - 8.5/10

As has been the case with quite a number of games I've enjoyed on the Switch to date I would gladly recommend Thumper to anyone, but would throw out two caveats as well. First, while I don't think being good at rhythm games is necessarily essential to you being successful in the game, there's no getting around the fact that being able to feel and anticipate the beats will help you immensely. The second is that this game gets to be extremely challenging, playing it has maxed out my personal intensity to the point that my thumb hurts from me mashing down the A button with apparently all of the force my hand can exert. I would expect that it is a game many people who decide to buy it won't ever finish just because at some point the bar feels just a bit too high. Regardless, if you like its aesthetics, its pounding beats, and a stiff challenge, there's really nothing holding me back from recommending it whole-heartedly.

Hardcore Gamer - 8/10

Thumper is a beautifully dark, unforgiving and utterly fantastic rhythm game, and its sense of menace is only matched by its wonderful playability.

Game Revolution - 4/5

Everything that originally made Thumper a fantastic game is still here to be found in the Switch version. It's incredibly fun and this time around can be played for both short bursts and long car rides. It's a fantastic addition to the Switch's growing library.

Waypoint - positive, no score

It rocks, so hard, so fast; so let it rumble and tumble you and your Switch for a while, until you're suitably sweated out.

Metro - 9/10
http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/thumper-nintendo-switch-review-the-music-game-from-hell-6652022/

IGN - 9/10
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/05/thumper-vr-review

Multiplayer.it - 8.8/10
http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/183400-thumper-venera-il-ritmo.html

J@hranimo

Banned
The game really gets me going, so glad to be able to play this on the go. Also the HD rumble is great.

Wonder if any more reviews are coming?

Scoops

Banned
The game really gets me going, so glad to be able to play this on the go. Also the HD rumble is great.

Wonder if any more reviews are coming?

There were no advance reviews of this, and the game just came out today, so I imagine reviews will trickle in over the next few days.

Jofamo

I understand this is one of the best experiences on PSVR.

However, I'm not gonna be able to pick one of those up anytime soon. I'm pleased to see frame rate and resolution are great on Switch, but are there any noticeable graphical downgrades, or anything that would hamper the experience?

Scoops

Banned
Great score for Gamespot...

GameSpot - 9/10

Surprisingly little has been sacrificed in the transition to the portable console, and in some ways the fact that you can now hold it close by undocking the Switch makes it a slightly more immersive experience than sitting feet away from your TV. If VR isn't something you have access to or want to invest in, the Switch version of Thumper is arguably the second best route to experience everything this impressive and brutal rhythm game has to offer.

AEREC

Damn...on paper this game doesn't seem all that interesting or fun but user and critic reviews are glowing. Wish there was a demo.

maxcriden

If the MC ends up over 80, it will be the 13th game in this category for Switch. It seems on track to be in this category.

t hicks

Banned
Bought it already but have yet to play it on Switch, it's a damn good game so I'm glad to have a version of it on the go :D

Scoops

Banned
Dat +1 portable bonus.

Seems like reviewers are adding points in when the game is enjoyable in portable mode, as they should. Games like Mario Kart and Disgaea scored higher on Switch then their original platforms in large part to the portability. They both had DLC added too, but re-releases of games happen all the time with added DLC and they don't usually bump up the game 4 or 7 points on metacritic, especially for 3 year old games.

D23

going to double dip! playing this on ps vr blew my mind away!! but ill be getting it for the switch so i can play it on the bus

Scoops

Banned
We have a Metacritic score: 87/100 (4 reviews)

Nintendo World Report - 8.5/10

As has been the case with quite a number of games I’ve enjoyed on the Switch to date I would gladly recommend Thumper to anyone, but would throw out two caveats as well. First, while I don’t think being good at rhythm games is necessarily essential to you being successful in the game, there’s no getting around the fact that being able to feel and anticipate the beats will help you immensely. The second is that this game gets to be extremely challenging, playing it has maxed out my personal intensity to the point that my thumb hurts from me mashing down the A button with apparently all of the force my hand can exert. I would expect that it is a game many people who decide to buy it won’t ever finish just because at some point the bar feels just a bit too high. Regardless, if you like its aesthetics, its pounding beats, and a stiff challenge, there’s really nothing holding me back from recommending it whole-heartedly.

Oh man I want to resist getting this game but I'm not sure if I can. I've been eyeballing pretty much every major indie release on the Switch though -- IMO it's the perfect platform aside from PC to play on.

I cannot get the hang of turns at all. On the first level, and it honestly seems random as to whether I complete a turn successfully (hold a direction and A) or blow up.

But worried that it's actually an issue with my joy cons, as no-one else on the internet seems to have this issue? Also I play a lot of rhythm games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I cannot get the hang of turns at all. On the first level, and it honestly seems random as to whether I complete a turn successfully (hold a direction and A) or blow up.

But worried that it's actually an issue with my joy cons, as no-one else on the internet seems to have this issue? Also I play a lot of rhythm games.

I haven't had any issue. You can hold A ahead of time if it helps, and just manage the joystick through the turn.

azyless

For what it's worth I just bought it (on PC though, playing with a Wii U pro controller) and I struggle a lot during turns as well. It seemed to go better towards the end of the 1st Stage when I stopped being afraid to hold A a bit earlier.

kinggroin

Banned

Hold A then press the direction as you approach the turn

I haven't had any issue. You can hold A ahead of time if it helps, and just manage the joystick through the turn.

I tried it in handheld mode and managed with tens absolutely fine. Back to TV mode and I'm blowing up all over the place.

This is worrying. I haven't heard of any latency issues with the Switch besides the really pronounced left joycon issue that I surely would have already noticed when playing Mario Kart and Zelda...

daxy

I tried it in handheld mode and managed with tens absolutely fine. Back to TV mode and I'm blowing up all over the place.

This is worrying. I haven't heard of any latency issues with the Switch besides the really pronounced left joycon issue that I surely would have already noticed when playing Mario Kart and Zelda...

Might it be your TV? I personally haven't had major issues. It could be that input lag simply wasn't that noticeable for MK and Zelda since they don't require that sharp reflexes.

See, I have a Vive, so I feel like I ought to be playing the game that way.

But I can't get the game to start on my PC for some reason, and haven't had the time to try to fix it... Maybe I should just get the Switch version?

I still haven't finished it because it's really hard, but goddamn is it amazing. More people being new to experience it is great.

Top Bottom