• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland: 2 killed in stabbing on MAX train as man directs slurs at Muslim women

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/police_responding_to_ne_portla.html

Two people were killed in a stabbing on a MAX train Friday when they tried to intervene as a man yelled racial slurs at two young women who appeared to be Muslim, including one wearing a hijab, police said.

A third passenger also was stabbed, but is expected to survive, said Portland police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson.

Officers arrested the suspect as he ran into the neighborhood near Providence Portland Medical Center in Northeast Portland, Simpson said. Police are still working to identify him and the people stabbed.

The man was ranting about many things, using "hate speech or biased language," and at one point focused on the young women, Simpson said.

The suspect then turned on the passengers who tried to help, Simpson said.

"In the midst of his ranting and raving, some people approached him and appeared to try to intervene with his behavior and some of the people that he was yelling at," Simpson said. "They were attacked viciously."

This is really upsetting.

I take public transportation in Portland. Fuck this guy.

Jesus. RIP to those individuals. I hope this doesn't stop people from wanting to stand up against those being bullied and attacked.

The best response to hostile bigotry like this is to walk away and ensure the victim walks away with you, instead of confronting the attacker.

So sad, rest in peace to the two, and wishing a speedy recovery for the third victim.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Fuck......its shitty things like this where you never know when someone is a complete lunatic and it's not worth the risk. The world is too crazy. RIP to those Samaritans

big ander

Just horrible. Condolences to their families and friends

I've read that a way to intervene when you see someone being harassed that lessens the risk of escalation is to walk up and talk to the person being accosted. Talk to them about anything, the weather or work today, act like the bigot isn't there. Then the asshole can reinsert themselves, but they might shrink away due to being treated like the pea-brained insignificant coward they are

BADMAN

Well shit. I live in Portland and would have stood up to that guy too. This is actually too close to home. RIP :(

Opto

Banned
Grab the wrist of the hand holding the knife, twist the wrist with your entire body. This could make the knife point towards their mid section, let them stab themselves. Kick them in the genitals.

Always hit them harder than you think you should.

It feels far too close to home. I am in Portland a lot, and to know that there are people who are willing to harm other people due to their bigotry is crazy.

If the attacker was a Muslim the ink that would be spilled agonizing about the origins of his radicalism and what society can do, the ink would fill swimming pools.

But this will be a "disturbed man commits a crime, jail him for life" -- at best.

http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/...top-anti-muslim-bullying-of-women-passengers/

Witnesses told KATU's Joe Douglass the stabbing suspect was hurling racial insults at two women with dark skin, one of whom was wearing a headdress. Two men who came to the woman's defense had their throats slashed by the suspect, witnesses said.

Another witness says she saw two women who appeared to be of Middle Eastern-descent get on the train. At least one of them was wearing a headdress. The suspect was asking them questions when he got belligerent. When another bystander tried to calm him down, the man took out a knife and began stabbing people.

”He said, ‘Get off the bus, and get out of the country because you don't pay taxes here,' [he said he] doesn't like Muslims, they're criminals," Evelin Hernandez said.

Deplorable piece of shit

Ashby

Jesus. I have a tendency to stand up for people without thinking about it but this story gives me pause.

MGrant

I know it's dark, but I just have to point out the fucked up irony of a man who says Muslims are criminals before fucking murdering two people.

Bronion

Woahhhh.

I rode MAX to school every day for the last 4 years. Just graduated.

Poor people were just standing up for those young women. :[

Opto

Banned
Ok, where are the gaffers who are gonna defend this guy? Come out guys there is always a couple.

"The anxiety after Manchester is to blame" "He was probably mentally ill" and for the real stretch "He was just trying to rescue the women from oppression"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What the fuck :( those poor men were true heroes. RIP

The best response to hostile bigotry like this is to walk away and ensure the victim walks away with you, instead of confronting the attacker.

So sad, rest in peace to the two, and wishing a speedy recovery for the third victim.
Yeah, seems like it. I hope it won't mean that people are gonna think twice before confronting bigotry for fear of being stabbed to death, but this seems like the best way to handle it. You never know what kind of raving violent nutcase you might run into. :\

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yikes. I've confronted anti-Muslim bigots on public transit before :(

Violet_0

Banned
Ok, where are the gaffers who are gonna defend this guy? Come out guys there is always a couple.
"The anxiety after Manchester is to blame" "He was probably mentally ill" and for the real stretch "He was just trying to rescue the women from oppression"
you can't seriously believe anyone here is going to stand up for a racists who just murdered two people

Mahonay

Banned
Inhuman piece of shit. I hope he rots in jail. Preferably in a section with a lot of Muslim inmates. Justice can take care of it's self.

RIP to those brave people that stood up for their fellow humans. Heroes.

God I am so fucking upset about this.

Fuck this worthless murdering cunt. Fuck the orange shit-eating grin prick in the white house whose rhetoric is a clarion call for the absolute worst in our society.

Mahonay

Banned
God I am so fucking upset about this.

Fuck this worthless murdering cunt. Fuck the orange shit-eating grin prick in the white house whose rhetoric is a clarion call for the absolute worst in our society.
There is absolutely no way to deny that Trump and his rhetoric has caused a surge in hate crimes and hate speech. This seems to be happening a lot lately. I'd be curious to see the statistics at the end of the year

commedieu

Banned
This is why it's OK to beat the shit out of racists. They aren't just harmless words. It's an effort to ignite attitudes that want the world to be rid of Muslims or any other brown person.

This shitheel should have been beaten and thrown off the train, while the whole community rightfully claims self defense.

If it trickles out, it should immediately be stomped out like a match near dry brush. These aren't just opinions to disagree with your family members on, folks.

Socreges

Banned
I feel terrible for the people who tried to help and lost their lives. And I feel sick about what this does to society in how good people are deterred from helping others.

Well shit. I live in Portland and would have stood up to that guy too. This is actually too close to home. RIP :(

Everyone in my office was saying the same thing, it's what we all would've done.

There's been a lot of stabbings lately in PDX, everyone needs to be alert. This shit is crazy

Top Bottom