• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Doom! Is it the best modern single player shooter?

Kssio_Aug

I've played Doom demo on XB1 a while ago, and besides enjoying it quite a bit I felt intimidated by the lack of life regeneration (yeah, really). I upgraded my PC recently and bought the game almost as a benchmark tool at first (some gaffers may understand why, since I created some threads about the issue) cause I was expecting not to enjoy it nearly as much as I ended up liking.

The game is absolutely amazing! The gameplay is super sleek; it's fluid and fast. The game rewards exploration and gives the player quite open paths so you can find secrets and upgrade your character.

Every single enemy encounter is interesting, and fighting them helps you realize their patterns and their weakpoints making future controntations even more interesting since it will recquires the right strategy to defeat the multiple hordes of enemies that you will need to deal with through the game.

The weapons are amazing! I think other than the pistol, I really appreciated every single one of them and was constantly switching them to defeat different enemies, since some of them feels more effective against certain group of demons. The impact of the weapons, specially the shotgun, feels really, really great! The animations of enemies tearing into pieces in different ways depending on how you hit them is also a great touch, as when you hit a Gauss Cannon shot in their face or when you get a really good granade kill.

The action is intense and constant. The game gives you some room to breath so you can explored a taken area and upgrade your gear. While exploring you know that soon you will have to be prepared again cause you're gonna face a new horde and that's gonna be intense. And it actually feels good, cause the encounters in the game really shine, the enemy variety keeps them fresh till much later in the game.

It's also one of the best looking games I played to date. Even on XB1 it looks pretty awesome!

I took some screenshots while playing it, and compiled some gameplay videos I recorded into one (https://youtu.be/nem6xAMPuZs).
190BD92B4D8CC9FA7D68A605CCA513E9EF10144F
0534AC98B46C3EEF929585B1388B7B13A5BC1ABB
E0DBD4BB2129648233FFDC31B4F64B0543E09EFF
58401DFC5AE3D4C4E2AAB63FB1F4603C9EED00B9
AAD7A2425413656B3944DEA373B5510C2E3CBBFD
DA7DAA53611291EB1AF6CFF5397EFEE20B40BBE3

I can't say about the multiplayer mode cause I haven't played it (and probably won't either tbh), but in terms of single player experience I think this is the best fps I've played in quite a long time. The other more modern shooter I played that I enjoyed almost this much in terms of gameplay was Halo 5 (yes) but this one I liked even more cause the story was simple and yet fun, and the gameplay was overall considerably better with all the collectibles, upgrades and exploration provided.

I've finished it with 15 hours according to Steam, played on Hurt Me Plenty difficult and while never frustrating it was quite challagening sometimes imo. I'm glad I did buy it, cause it has shown me that a good modern game doesn't necessarily need to rely on the same formula (such as health regen).

I wish more modern AAA games were like that. It gives an old-school feeling at the same time it feels completely new and modern.

Actually, thinking about it, is Wolfenstein similar in these aspects? I'm planning on buying it later too.

Toni

I loved it. Its certainly one of the very best (for me). But its got competition with Titanfall 2 single player campaign.

It's an amazing FPS and my 2016 GotY.

I'd recommend checking out Wolfenstein: The New Order and Titanfall 2 if you're itching for more single-player goodness.

deoee

Personally it drags on in the last third.

You learn no new mechanics get no new exciting weapons...

I still loved what I played but I wish the last hell levels were shorter.

Titanfall 2 was way better in that regard and I'd put it slightly above Doom .

Wolfenstein is fun because of the characters and world building. Gameplay-wise it's decent, but it lacks the mobility of DOOM. Strafing doesn't really work well, making it a far slower experience, less tailored towards run and gun. I hope the sequel is more like DOOM in that regard.

Zushin

re: your question about Wolfenstein. Wolf is fast paced albeit nowhere near as much as Doom (no double jump) and is much more story focused (amazing acting and writing though). There aren't weapon upgrades the same way as in Doom but you do find set upgrades throughout the game that alter the weapons fairly substantially. There are also skill trees but you unlock the skills from doing certain feats in game vs spending points.

Health regens to the nearest interval of 20. So if you're at 17 hp you'll go to 20. 26 hp you'll go to 40 etc. You need hp packs to heal fully and there is armour (can overcharge HP).

Levels are well designed, not quite as arena like compared to Doom but still open and not linear. Plenty of secrets and hidden stuff to collect. Guns feel great, though weapon sounds are lacking.

Performance is great, solid 60 fps. The game isn't as pretty as Doom though (idTech 5 vs 6).

Definitely worth picking up and playing. I can't decide which game I prefer. Doom has slightly better gameplay and Wolf has much better story, writing, etc

Edit: oh and of course Wolf still retains that dope arse vintage Mick Gordon OST.

Smax

As a single player fan I got this after all the hype surrounding the DOOM campaign and found it disappointing and underwhelming. For the life of me I don't understand what the big deal is about this repetitive arena shooter.
I also played Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare around the same time and found it to be a much better experience. I hadn't played CoD since MW2 and was pleasantly surprised. Short, focused and varied. The exact opposite of DOOM.

IW is regarded a disappointment and a failure while everybody praises DOOM. Go figure.

Rodin

Yes. I often replay it just because of how much fun it is. Wolf TNO is up there as well.

I really want to play that, but motion sickness usually destroys me and i heard that this game could cause issues in that regard. I think it was the head bobbing causing it, did they ever give the option to disable it (and increase fov over 90)?

It's among the best, up there with great campaigns others have mentioned like Wolfenstein TNO, Titanfall 2.

I would also include Bioshock Infinite in terms of story, maybe not the best shooting mechanics but I personally thought the campaign especially the ending was dope.

Wonko_C

Did you play the PC version with mouse and keyboard or with controller? It's worth experiencing it with both input methods.

MrChom

I struggled to get into it, I just didn't see much of the appeal.

I'd certainly place Overwatch, and Borderlands above it in my personal rankings (If you count Borderlands as modern) but if you like it then more power to you.

I really want to play that, but motion sickness usually destroys me and i heard that this game could cause issues in that regard. I think it was the head bobbing causing it, did they ever give the option to disable it (and increase fov over 90)?

I feel your pain, I suffer the same. I played through Doom this Christmas and enjoyed it thoroughly, my favourite game of the past half decade by FAR. But my God, the motion sickness kept appearing and stopping me playing. Anyone have any tips for this? I get it on a few things, Arkham games have hit me hard in the past too. I find myself playing more stuff like Civilization, FM 17 and Pro evo literally due to it not making me feel ill.

I used to mock my dad for feeling rough with Doom in '93. Karma has ensured I'm not laughing now.

GenericUser

Personally it drags on in the last third.

You learn no new mechanics get no new exciting weapons...

I still loved what I played but I wish the last hell levels were shorter.

Titanfall 2 was way better in that regard and I'd put it slightly above Doom .

Somewhat agree. When 5 hell barons spawn, it can also feel I little bullet spongy. Three quarters of the game are a solid A in my book, last quarter is a B imo.

I love pure run and gun shooters though, so in my opinion it's the best singlplayer shooter of the last decade.

highrider

Banned
It's really good, but a couple things held it back for me, mainly the audio mix which never sounded right and the encounter design kind of fizzled about half way through. Doom 3 was the direction I would have preferred the series to take, but I respect that they committed to a more pure, old school experience. Titanfall 2 and even Halo 5's campaign far surpassed it for me.

shit, seeing people mention Titanfall 2 in the same breath as this and TNO is making me think that I gotta check it out.

And Doom 2016 is absolutely fantastic, though I was disappointed in the ending. Final boss was excellent, but I kiiind of went in expecting more after. Got a bit blindsided by how quickly it ended after that.

btw give ultra-nightmare a couple of goes. mode's a good time.

w0s

Before I played Titanfall 2 SP I would have agreed. What I love about doom is that it is pure adrenaline just straight action but what I loved more about Titanfall was level design, story, plus solid gameplay.

Raide

Doom had a great SP that hearkens back to classic Doom...

...but it ain't no Titanfall 2. TF2 really did some cool, mind-bending stuff for the SP and the MP is also damn fine.

This is tough, see Doom arguably overstays its welcome a bit while Titanfall 2 could stand to be a bit longer.
One has an unexpectedly solid exploration focus, the other has BT and mech fights.
Both secretly bring back the lost art of 3D platforming...I just can't decide!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wolfenstein: The New Order does a story based FPS with stealth elements REAL well. However, in terms of sheer 'fun' category, Doom 2016 takes it.

Intel_89

It relies a bit too much on finishers, other than that minor nitpick it's a fantastic FPS, easily one of my favourite games of last year.

Top Bottom