• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swap Fire 2 Kickstarter - A Switch-Exclusive Multiplayer FPS

Camjo-Z

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548762282/swap-fire-season-2-for-nintendo-switch

Remember Swap Fire on Wii U?... Of course you don't, it sold less than 500 copies. But maybe you're one of the 20,000+ people who downloaded it when it was free in March! Anyway, it was a multiplayer FPS with a neat concept. Instead of shooting other people with bullets, you hit them with a beam that makes you swap places with them, with this gimmick being applied to various modes like race, deathmatch, king of the hill, and even soccer.

QOLQRnf.png

AYoA0T1.png

Yes, it was a bit janky, yes, it looked like a lost N64 game, and yes, the appeal was limited without online multiplayer - but apparently a lot of people who tried it enjoyed it nonetheless, which is why the devs aim to fix all those problems with Swap Fire 2. Just look at this new character model! (No really, get a good look at it, 'cuz that's the only thing from Swap Fire 2 they have to show right now.)

pBqEh98.png

It's a 15-day campaign with a mere $5000 goal, currently at $1,255 with 9 days to go. With a projected release date of May 2018, could this potentially be the first FPS on Switch?!

Jackano

I actually remember Swap Fire Wii U.

Actually I barely remember it, at first I thought this was about the kickstarter being rebooted from Wii U to Switch.

KDR_11k

Not sure why exclusive... That sounds like a USP directed at system wars people.

Sounds like a mutator for Unreal Tournament...

Camjo-Z

A little bump here - I decided to actually try out Swap Fire 1 since I'd downloaded it to my system when it was free ages ago but never actually bothered to test it.

The "single-player mode" is really just some light training, but even with the short time it lasts I was impressed with the gimmick. It feels like a twist on Portal (right down to the stark white rooms you run around in with a robot voice talking to you) and it would be neat to see them expand on it a bit with the sequel because it really has some puzzler potential. The only major issue is the controls, which feel floaty and somewhat slow when aiming, but I'd expect that aspect would be one of the first fixed with a sequel.

The multiplayer was unfortunately less fun since I couldn't convince my brother to try it with me, though there are some (fairly stupid) AI bots to fill in for any missing players. Still, the idea is similarly solid. The first map was a King of the Hill mode where you attempt to rush into the middle of the arena before anyone else, then gain points as you hide from the other players' attempts to swap positions with you. The lack of online is absolutely criminal because I can easily see this being crazy with actual people.

I was mildly curious at first, but now I'm really hoping the KS succeeds because a sequel to this could genuinely be the next Rocket League-tier multiplayer game if they play their cards right.

Camjo-Z

Giving this one more bump since there's 29 hours left in the campaign with a current total of $3,993. We'll see if $1000 in a day is doable.

Tamanator

Just backed it. Sounds amusing enough. I'm all for supporting wacky ideas such as a follow up to a game that only sold 500 copies and only gained notoriety because it was free for a while.

Camjo-Z

If mods were coherent you should be banned, but i guess since this is a nintendo based product thread, port begging in these conditions is fine.

I wouldn't say it's port begging to ask why they'd go for console exclusivity again when it clearly didn't work out the first time. But to answer that question, they state on their KS page that they're simply big Nintendo fans - and to me it sounds like a smart business decision this time around as well. The first game was never going to make much of a splash as a local-multiplayer only title at the end of the Wii U lifespan, but as an original online multiplayer FPS on the hot new Switch they can be a big fish in a small pond. It's not like they couldn't port it to the other systems later should it really take off anyway.

Kyzon

Hmmmmm I might back in an hour when I'm home

I always saw the first game advertised on Facebook but forgot to download

If mods were coherent you should be banned, but i guess since this is a nintendo based product thread, port begging in these conditions is fine.

Calm down. That's a perfectly reasonable opinion.

They're Switch exclusive because nobody would care about a low quality title like that on any other platform where the FPS genre is already packed. On Switch, they have a chance of getting some visibility.

Edit: And just for LOLz, you're calling for that guy to be banned simply for having a valid (read: perceived anti-Switch/Nintendo) opinion, but defend blatant port begging when it's the other way around? Even funnier when you consider the fact that you would think anyone would care enough to port beg for this title...

Just Stop.

i would probably buy these collections on switch but Capcom assumed we wanted street fighter 2 again...

Really? Banned for this?

Less than 40 minutes left. Over 120% funded now.

The original while very budget was surprisingly well presented. The voice tutorial was nice.

The mechanic is simple but provides some really interesting ideas in putting you opponent in unsuspecting positions. It's a fun local multiplayer diversion with good support for multiple control schemes.

They're also the only developer I ever saw just give away a game for free on the Eshop for a month just so people can play it.

Pledged $30. Excited for season 2.

Top Bottom