• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal eyeing Dwayne Johnson for Wolfman, Angelina Jolie for Bride of Frankenstein

SpaceWolf

Banned
From a recent report from the Hollywood Reporter extensively detailing Universal's plans for their new classic movie monster themed cinematic universe, currently entitled Dark Universe.

universal-monsters.jpg

Sources say The Mummy cost about $125 million after a considerable U.K. rebate, and Cruise is said to have earned $13 million upfront with sizable backend participation. Cruise's character will recur in the universe. The studio wants Angelina Jolie for its Bill Condon-helmed Bride of Frankenstein, the next film in the franchise, and she won't come cheap (for a similar effort, Disney's live-action Maleficent, the actress received $20 million plus profit participation). But negotiations with Jolie have yet to begin, even though Bride is the only Dark Universe follow-up that has been dated — for Feb. 14, 2019. There are rumors that Dwayne Johnson could resurface in the "monsterverse" for a Wolfman reboot (he starred in 2002's Mummy spinoff The Scorpion King).

Warner Brothers also sound like they're apparently considering going after Universal regarding a trademark conflict with Justice League Dark:

But the name Dark Universe could prove problematic for Universal. Warner Bros. already has plans for the title with a supernatural-themed Justice League movie and a series of announced comic books branded under the Dark Universe banner. Warners is mulling legal action, according to a studio source.

I'd definitely recommend anyone who's interested in Universal's plans to check out the article. Interesting read.

Force me to watch 2004's Van Helsing if old.

Fury451

Banned
Nah. Love Dwayne, but no.

Benicio was an interesting choice some years back-shame the movie was poor.

Jolie would be functional I guess.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, when the WWE started calling their fans the "WWE Universe" I figured they were just being dumb and silly like they always are. But, me personally, I now realize they were way ahead of the curve, everything is a fucking universe now. They broke new ground.

Getting someone that big and bulky to play The Wolfman would be kind of a bummer. Wolfman is supposed to be some normal looking guy who gets attacked then turns into a beast. It shouldn't be a guy who's already built like a beast.

Getting someone that big and bulky to play The Wolfman would be kind of a bummer. Wolfman is supposed to be some normal looking guy who gets attacked then turns into a beast. It shouldn't be a guy who's already built like a beast.
Not when you're going the action movie route

Ithil

This is beginning to sound like the mid 2000s Dreamworks films where they just cast loads of random stars for the film so they could put their names on the posters, with zero thought as to what part they were even playing.

Fury451

Banned

Idris Elba would be cool, and that's not a joke.

But when The Dark Tower bombs they'll blame him I'm sure.

BigAT

Are they just doing this nonsense because all of these characters are public domain? I don't understand any of this.

I'm shocked the Rock hasn't been cast in a Marvel and/or Star Wars movie yet. Maybe there's something in his contract with WB that he's not allowed?

Are they just doing this nonsense because all of these characters are public domain? I don't understand any of this.

The whole "Universal Monsters" is sort of a known quantity, though how much so who knows.

Someone needs to take Rock's cocaine away from him though.

Jolie as the Bride, in a movie directed by Bill Condon, I'm in.
As for the rest, this whole thing seems ill-advised and I think we're about to see a repeat of the Dracula Untold false start, with only slightly better box-office numbers.

You shut your mouth, SpaceWolf. Van Helsing was glorious.

Yes it was.

Dynomutt

Rock yeah Angelina no. Ever since Wanted I have not wanted her in a single damn movie. Still salty about no Salt sequel.

You shut your mouth, SpaceWolf. Van Helsing was glorious.
I'm fully expecting Cruise to be playing Van Helsing here. We got a monster hunter organization, we got a bunch of monsters, we got all the big stars playing known characters and monsters, and then Cruise's protagonist is playing a nobody called Nick Morton? Plus, Cruise was originally attached to a Van Helsing reboot by Universal a few years back where he was going to play Helsing

cr0w

Old Member
Scratch all of this and remake The Monster Squad instead.

No, please. That one's perfect as it is.

Unless they get Shane Black and Fred Dekker back to do it.

As for the rest, no way Rock should be the Wolfman. Larry Talbot is just a regular dude who gets cursed, Rock is all wrong for the role. Go for a Jason Segel type. I could see Jolie as the Bride. I'd rather see someone lesser-known, but you run the risk of them being overshadowed by the huge names already attached.

Top Bottom