• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: WipEout Omega Collection - PS4 Pro's Ultimate 4K60 Showcase

Video link.

Bundling WipEout HD, Fury and 2048 into one 4K60 package - complete with beautifully reworked visuals - this Omega Collection packs plenty in to justify a re-release. On PS4 Pro you have the option of playing in the following ways:

Motion blur enabled:
-4K output: 2160p with checkerboarding
-1080p output: 1080p with 4x SSAA

Motion Blur disabled:
-4K output: Native 4K with 4x8 EQAA
-1080p output: 1080p with 4x SSAA

Tom and Rich discuss one of PS4 Pro's great demonstrations of 4K60 playback, covering an unshakeable frame-rate, and the prospect of a dynamic resolution system, which rarely - if ever - appears to kick in. Stick around, and you'll also catch comparisons to the Vita and PS4 originals - an area we'll be expanding on soon. Apologies in advance for the chaotic driving.

Full article.

The only criticism you can level at the package concerns just how authentic it is - just like the original releases, you'll reach a point where seemingly only superhuman reflexes and tons of luck can propel you through to the next level. But at its best, the Omega Collection delivers on two fronts. First of all, it reminds us that Sony doesn't cut corners on its remasters - there's the same level of care and attention to detail here as in the likes of the Nathan Drake Collection and Gravity Rush. And secondly, if you're looking for showcase piece of software that really shows PlayStation 4 Pro at its best, the Omega Collection is the game for you.

Unknown?

So what's the verdict? 2160 checkerboard with motion blur looks as good as native without it?

Edit: I should read. What is everyone who's played it opinion on the two modes?

Maddrical

First game that has made me want a 4K TV. My copy will arrive tomorrow, I'm still excited to replay them all on PS4 but would love a 4K TV to experience it in all it's glory.

So what's the verdict? 2160 checkerboard with motion blur looks as good as native without it?

Edit: I should read. What is everyone who's played it opinion on the two modes?

The motion blur is very low quality and checkerboarding has obvious artifacts. This seems to be a case where less post-processing is much better due to the benefits of having it off.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck's sake. I just dropped more than a grand on a new 4KTV, Switch, and a bunch of games. Can't afford a Pro right anytime soon.

Goddamn that looks great.

WipEout showing off Playstation hardware again.

Should have kept the original devs around too Sony. They could have made a new one to go with this great remaster.

Caayn

To be expected to be honest. Didn't the PS3 Wipeout games ran at 1080p/60fps on that system?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To be expected to be honest. Didn't the PS3 Wipeout games ran at 1080p/60fps on that system?

Dynamic resolution with actual drops and some frame rate issues too. This release has assets and other visual upgrades and never drops a frame at full 4K resolution (they could not trigger dynamic resolution issues at all in their testing).

Caayn

Dynamic resolution with actual drops and some frame rate issues too. This release has assets and other visual upgrades and never drops a frame at full 4K resolution (they could not trigger dynamic resolution issues at all in their testing).
Thanks for the response.

Only got to play this for an hour after it unlocked last night.
I didn't realise that disabling motion blur meant a full native 4k image, so will switch it off when I have another go later.

Shin-Ra

Those texture upgrades (including parallax mapping) really went under-appreciated ever since PSX :(

(these are the PSX screenshots again)
31359310796_bf290e6971_o.jpg

31359311906_a459d5712c_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5575/31395504725_460eba6c7b_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5771/31395503795_9a1b9dbe0b_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5783/31395505755_80d76f6f48_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5343/30588199093_3366f1973f_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5448/30588198583_3dda0c417f_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5676/31359309956_1f7b07eac5_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5561/31395502915_53f71b049b_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5345/30588197783_91cbce06df_o.jpg

Honestly this is the first game to make me wish I can afford a PS4 [Pro]. Always loved Wipeout and this looks amazing.

Fast RMX on Switch did not scratch that itch for me at all.

AllEchse

Would be nice if they would also compare it to the PSP versions like they did with Mario Kart 8 and 3DS tracks as they also share tracks.

Tyaren

Too bad the extra heavy compression of the Youtube video doesn't show any of what they are actually talking about in the video. :/
(I am aware though that you can download an uncompressed version if you support DF on Patreon.)

showcase? how so? its an old game and just a re-release...

It's a native 4K/60 racer that appears to be rock solid, that's pretty showcase whatever way you want to look at it.

It's an old game remasted to todays standards. But hey I bet you were there to froth at the Forza/Scorpio stats when they claimed it could manage 4K/60, I guess not bad for an old game though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
How does this look/run on regular PS4?

The article says that the resolution is 1080p with 4x8 EQAA. As for performance, it's not clear to me if they tested the base version when they say they never saw the game drop a frame, but I think it's safe to assume it maintains a locked 60fps if the Pro can do native 4K at a locked 60fps.

I'm assuming that's the 1080p mode in the OP.

That's actually referring to if you play your Pro on a 1080p TV or set your Pro's output to 1080p. The major difference is that the base version doesn't have supersampling.

But we where told 4k60fps on Project Scorpio is impossible and that it would cost $800 plus. But if Ps4 pro can pull off 4k60fps then this artical is also confirming Project Scorpio can do 4k60fps.

Gitaroo

Is motion blur really that expensive that they have to use checkerboard and drop all the AA? Lots of pc games has minimal performance hit with motion blur on or off. Suprised there isn't much talk about hdr, one of the best implementation I have seen yet.

Vroadstar

Maybe read the article? Maybe play the game?

It looks fantastic, one of the best looking games I've played on my OLED.

Unfortunately, even if he reads the article or play the game, it will not have any effect, simply because it's never coming to his favorite console....

From UE is Sony Fortress...

keep patting yourself on the back. lol while still declining to support BC and EA Access etc. 🙂

But this is an old game and a re-release

/s

So YOUR telling us PS4 Pro can only do true native 4k60fps on OLD games. While new games does fake 4k Chinese checkerboard trickery?

And why re make this game rather than just have it available for backwards compatibility? Or are we re buying it because of the GRAPHICS ONLY??

Not Drake

But we where told 4k60fps on Project Scorpio is impossible and that it would cost $800 plus. But if Ps4 pro can pull off 4k60fps then this artical is also confirming Project Scorpio can do 4k60fps.

There were 4k60fps game on PS4 Pro before (like Thumper, Rez outside of Area X, most of FIFA 17). No one ever said either console can't do 4k60 games. It all depends on the game.

Rellik

Unfortunately, even if he reads the article or play the game, it will not have any effect, simply because it's never coming to his favorite console....

From UE is Sony Fortress...

Try to ignore it. The level of pathetic console warz has been in overdrive on here lately.

Anyone who actually owns the game and has played it knows how good this looks and how great it feels.

zooL

I am playing on a 1080p OLED with PS4 Pro and am slightly disappointed to see aliasing in both modes... however the aliasing is worse with motion blur. I thought this should not happen with supersampling.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What does that even mean? 2160p IS native 4k...

Checkerboarding works by rendering half the total resolution and then using reconstruction to build the complete image. So, when a game has a resolution of 2160p with checkerboarding, the system is natively rendering 1920x2160 and then using checkerboarding's reconstruction technique to build the full 2160p image. As a result, it's not quite the same as a native 4k image.

Jinroh

I know, but they say it's a 4k output at 2160p, and then without motion blur a 4k output with native 4k... It's confusing.

Is checkerboarding always half the resolution or does it change depending on the game?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I know, but they say it's a 4k output at 2160p, and then without motion blur a 4k output with native 4k... It's confusing.

Yea, we basically have native and non-native 2160p nowadays.

Carn82

Is checkerboarding always half the resolution or does it change depending on the game?

checkerboarding still creates a full 4K output resolution; it's just not "native".

Awesome stuff, native 4k + locked 60fps is pretty impressive. It might be a remaster but they have done a great job with these games, it looks excellent and could easily pass for a current gen game.

I'm sure in motion it will be harder to tell the difference between checkerboard and native 4k but seeing it paused, you can tell and the extra AA at native 4k is welcome.

Top Bottom