• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Fortnite is back again, and it's picked up a some of gaming's worst habits

Theorry

Fortnite's fun is buried under five years of gaming's clutter

Epic has long argued that games these days should be one thing: a service, developed alongside the input of its players. But Fortnite is not naturally that game, and that philosophy is so obviously getting in its way. Moulding it to the service-based model means a game about building and defending forts also has purchasable loot boxes, and collectible cards, and collectible heroes, and an extensive RPG skill tree, and all kinds of bloat designed around the base tendencies of compulsion and infinite progression. An over-anxiousness towards player feedback, meanwhile, means any original vision is constantly challenged - and so what started out as a quick-turnaround game jam project morphs into a perpetually-tinkered, six-year-old behemoth. The result of all this is that it feels, at times, as though playing Fortnite is like playing a business model, when there's a fun and charming enough game hidden somewhere beneath it.

But even then, what would that hidden game be? If only Fortnite was just about the building and the defending, I carry on thinking to myself, staring at the endless, between-game tabs of cards and characters. But then that would be Orcs Must Die - and orcs are much more in vogue than zombies now, anyway.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...is-buried-under-five-years-of-gamings-clutter

Tain

Unreal Tournament and Robo Recall have been The Interesting Epic Games for a while now. Fortnite's idea and theme were always pretty DOA to me.

kulapik

So now it's an Orcs must Die clone? Meh, I was interested when it was a better looking Minecraft, where you did stuff creatively and such

Edit: watching the game play, there's an open world, it seems, so it makes me somewhat more interested, though not sure I'll bother investing too much time in making forts

Should have included this in the OP:

it'll be free to play, but you can pay anything between £35 and £125 for a variety of Early Access bundles through the Epic launcher (it's not on Steam); it's coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One now too, alongside PC and Mac; early access starts on July 25th, and it's releasing, properly, at some point early-ish in 2018, about six or seven years after the first announcement.

That's the news.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, Fortnite. I distinctly remember spending a few minutes signing up for the alpha only to immediately be told that my submission was rejected because it's not available in Australia. Thanks for not editing the country drop-down box accordingly, Epic! I always enjoy wasting my time.

Zeshile

I was just wondering what happened to this game the other day. Feel like I hadn't heard anything since it was announced.

While I was never that excited for it, it's disappointing to see it turn out like this. Games as a service can work, it just requires smarter design, not everything but the kitchen sink.

OryoN

The concept was fun-looking and simple enough, originally. I was really hoping it kept its charm and double down on some fun co-op aspects while maintaining simplicity. Seems like their focus shifted.

When I tried this, I found it impressively good and fun, though I didn't play a lot. It will be interesting to see what it's like now. The building mechanics were great. What in the world Epic is doing taking like 7 years to release this though, still baffles me. It could have easily seen release when I last tried, a couple years ago. The game must be insanely polished now.

Marcel

also has purchasable loot boxes, and collectible cards, and collectible heroes, and an extensive RPG skill tree, and all kinds of bloat designed around the base tendencies of compulsion and infinite progression

That's a pretty absurd amount of feature creep for some zombie defense game. It's whatever since I will likely never play it.

So now it's an Orcs must Die clone? Meh, I was interested when it was a better looking Minecraft, where you did stuff creatively and such

Edit: watching the game play, there's an open world, it seems, so it makes me somewhat more interested, though not sure I'll bother investing too much time in making forts

It's not open world. Discreet levels, thought many of them are pretty big.

As I posted in the other thread:

It's a hard game to classify.

In fact, in defense mode, Fortnite reminds me a lot of Sunset Overdrive's multiplayer Night Defense mode, with up to four players bouncing around, dropping traps, and repairing defenses. Or maybe it's like Orcs Must Die, but with building. Again, hard to classify.

angelic

Banned
Gears 1-3 and ruling the xbox 360 to this shit is one of the biggest falls from graces in the last ten years.

eXistor

I'll never accept games as a service. To me they're inherently not a creative vision, but a cynical business model. Instead of making the game they want to make, they're making the game that is the most profitable which means designing the game around all kinds of proven formulas. It goes against everything I want gaming to be so I'll never touch one.

Those game play videos look awesome! Excited to play this. Epic knocked it out of the park with Paragon, and I expect quality with Fortnite as well.

Ploid 3.0

After Paragon, I've become attached to Epic, love them, and this looks good to me. I don't mind spending money on free to play games that I really enjoy, and I hope this is fun to play. It looks fun.

Edit: Yeah the second video needs music or something. Though going by Paragon, beta can actually mean beta. Monolith launched in Paragon without finished textures, and it's still being finalized till this day.

angelic

Banned
eg1.png

That PC Gamer gameplay looked very.... boring =\

A lot of the fun with this game will be social, IMO. Building with friends, finding great loot, exploring...Those things are always better with friends. There wasn't even voice chat in the PC Gamer video. It would be like watching Borderlands game play without the chit chat of friends when a legendary gun drops.

A "me too" MOBA is better than one of the most important and influential shooters of last generation? You're high.
I played the first 3 Gears, have you really played Paragon? Because doesn't seems like it...

Gears was a game with great gameplay but everything else was trash.

>purchasable loot boxes
>collective cards
>collectible heroes
>rpg skill trees in games not even belong
>online "social" shooter
>dlc
>f2p

its dead jim.

Interview with some of the devs: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/08/how-epic-games-brought-fortnite-home-from-the-wilderness/

We looked at the future and saw that the future is games as a service. The future is free-to-play. The future is VR and AR and the metaverse. That’s what Tim was talking to you about last week. How do we fundamentally transform Epic to be positioned so that not only are we making the games that pave the way for the future, but making the technology that paves the way for the future – not just in games, but in all sorts of entertainment and other applications.

Paragon is out and growing. We’re at six million players right now. Battle Breakers is in soft launch in Australia. It’ll come out globally in just a few months. Robo Recall is out and widely heralded as the greatest piece of VR ever created. We’re happy with that. That was our goal. How do we create the bleeding edge of VR right now and show that our technology can do that? Spyjinx is well under way. Hopefully we’ll be able to talk about that the next time we meet. We have a small team working on Unreal Tournament, and then there’s Fortnite.

music to a lot of GAFfer's ears :p

The title implies the game changed late in development to follow the modern, current trends of games.

But I tried it almost two years ago and it already had all that bloat. The game concept was from the start a f2p game as service thing, so it always was going to be bloated.

And it isn't all the extra progression bars and cards and loot boxes, the core game was always a bit weird, with exploration AND buildings AND combat all together.

Ah, Fortnite. I distinctly remember spending a few minutes signing up for the alpha only to immediately be told that my submission was rejected because it's not available in Australia. Thanks for not editing the country drop-down box accordingly, Epic! I always enjoy wasting my time.

It's not a waste of your time. You now have an Epic account that can be used for things other than Fortnite, such as the Shadow Complex remaster, Unreal Tournament, or Unreal Engine 4.

Mooreberg

Gears 1-3 and ruling the xbox 360 to this shit is one of the biggest falls from graces in the last ten years.
It has been explained as them seeing "big game" development as unsustainable, but I'm always curious about how many unending "GaaS" titles developers think people have time for. Most categories already have popular games in place, and they're from the same companies that were making popular games before everything was a digital flea market. How much room is there for stuff that isn't being specifically targeted at new customers in China?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's not a waste of your time. You now have an Epic account that can be used for things other than Fortnite, such as the Shadow Complex remaster, Unreal Tournament, or Unreal Engine 4.

I don't, actually. The sign-up form didn't double as an account creation process.

Top Bottom