• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith | Roguelite shooter meets claustrophobic dungeon crawler, out now, demo

bTvttJnh.png

http://team-d13.com/monolith/
$7.99 (Steam)
Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8ocPpgBcQ

Monolith is a top down action shooter with procedurally generated elements. Explore a progression of floors as you make your way into the depths of the facility, encountering increasingly deadly enemies, fantastic weapons, upgrades, choices and revelations as you venture deeper towards a great and calamitous power.
- Smooth, gracious, fast action gameplay, tailored to feel good to play.
- 7 different types of weapons with over 40 unique modifiers and a ludicrous number of combinations.
- A number of floors with their own layouts, traps and enemies.
- Intricate and energetic chiptune soundtrack to complement the beat of the action.

Destructoid - 9/10
Monolith might sound like a million other indie games on Steam, but I just found that is a perfect goulash of cute, fun, challenging, and addictive. I've been doing run after run with no hesitation, back to back, over and over; and I'm still not tired of it. The music is great, the enemies are cute and Zelda-like as are the dungeons, and the bosses are hellish and taking them down feels oh so good.

It might not be as graphically impressive as many other recent roguelikes (although the screenshots and trailer don't do the game justice as it certainly runs at a buttery smooth framerate certainly 60fps or above), but for me, the gameplay loop makes Monolith one of the most addictive roguelikes I've played. It's well worth the $8 asking price, and if you're not sold there's a free demo.

RockPaperShotgun
Y’know how The Binding Of Isaac is a pairing of bullet-hell shmup and roguelike? This is that idea inverted – roguelike proc-gen and upgrade structure hung around actual pew-pew spaceship shooting. A shmup in which navigation through a network of random rooms is a logistical puzzle, rather than a linear run through handcrafted screens. It works extremely well – though lacking the clever-sick visual invention of Isaac, it’s got an air of gothic strangeness to its enemies and environments, and pulls off that permadeath just-one-more-try thing without feeling hollow. I’m definitely keeping this one around.

The two shmups to check out this week are Drifting Lands and Monolith, and while Drifting Lands is gorgeous and has some decent aRPG mechanics, I'm finding myself enjoying Monolith way more. The controls and base shooter action is very tight, responsive, and satisfying, which combined with the myriad perks and different weapons, makes just evasion and shooting very enjoyable. An impressive variety of enemies keeps combat feeling fresh, and the claustrophobic rooms gives this shooter a very different vibe from more traditional shmups

An easy recommendation at its low price.

Drifting Lands also has a demo if you're curious in checking that out

I tried both and found Drifting Lands a bit boring (also, too much story I can't skip!), but Monolith is really, really good. Thanks, OP!

I'm liking the little touches that this game brings to the table. Monolith took a page from Downwell's book, in that there's some duality involved (which simultaneously rewards skilful play) when taking certain upgrades into consideration. Expanding your max health works identically - if you stay topped off, upon collection you'll fill up a given number of notches with a cap of 4 - and conserving static ammo upgrades from the shop for later use is also something I periodically think about, depending on whether I've stumbled upon a potent weapon. There's other small details I appreciated too; the HUD gradually changes colors the closer to death you are and there exist additional cues that quickly convey information, like audio for forced reloads, distorted sound when submerged in water (which slows down movement) or blinking low-health enemies like you'd see in old-school beat 'em ups. There's more, but I digress.

zpzcqw.gif

Given the type of game Monolith is, namely pre-dominately a shmup kind of affair, the implementation of these conveniences (that are otherwise no big deal elsewhere) is very important here. Without them the more chaotic parts of a run would've felt too hectic, so the foresight from the developers is most definitely welcome since conveying information this way directly benefits the concept of spatial or resource-related awareness. Sub-bosses and bosses especially almost relentlessly pepper you with projectiles - without teetering into pure bullet hell territory - so thanks to these relatively minor assists, you'll quickly learn (as is par of the course for the genre) to only spend a quick glance at something unrelated to the incoming onslaught, or rely on specific sound design elements in the middle of being pro-active. In other words: they help enable keeping your enemies and your own ship within your peripheral vision, whilst largely focusing on the bullets themselves before manoeuvring through them. Instinctive conditioning once you've become astute to said tools.

Also, what happens when you mess with the cat NPC after it gives you the elipses treatment is cute.

Oh hey, could this be the final boss fi-

ofhnzi.gif

On a different note: the devs have mentioned that they're working on a fairly sizeable content patch. The following official tweet mentions a good portion of it, but there's possibly more in the cards as well having read further information from the team. Additional music tracks, a Hard Mode, the ability to rematch (certain? / all?) bosses, and more ships among other things. A bestiary too, which'll help define enemy types (construct / machine / ...) if there's any doubt about specific units. No ETA other than relatively soon; they've mentioned an approximate release window of (give or take) a month minimum, pending schedule changes. Token .gifs of a few new guns can be found here, here and here. A soundtrack release on Bandcamp et cetera is also due "in a few weeks."

Good news: Next Monolith patch will contain anywhere from 2-5 new weapons, new items, and 500+ rooms. Unrelatedly, I have given up sleeping.

Source: https://twitter.com/MonolithDevs/status/874329138030661632

ShadowOwl

Anyone who likes The Binding of Isaac and Shoot 'em ups should definitely check out Monolith. It is such a great and polished little gem!

While Monolith has less content and variation than Isaac (okay, honestly, which Rogue Lite match up with Isaac?) it feels much less random and luck based which feels kinda refreshing. Even though I suck at bullet hell kind of games I enjoy that you can increase your debris (money) multiplier with each room passed without getting hit. Soundtrack and art are also nice.

Highly recommended for the asking price!

1upsuper

Just picked this up and it's an absolute blast. On my first run I made it to
The Sanctum
but died to
Overlord's second form.
It's really fun so far, and based on my unlocks and the appearance of an NPC it sounds like it's got an Isaac-esque progressive unlock system, which is cool.

1upsuper

I've had several runs at this point where I've made it to the final boss with like sixteen, seventeen health but I just can't quite eke out a win. I think my problem is taking bad trades with the special weapons. I gotta figure out which ones have the best DPS for bosses. Still having so much fun with this game. I'm still astounded at how good this game is. The music is killer too.

1upsuper

Apologies for the double post, but has anyone beaten
the boss called Monolith
on hard mode? This guy is such a wall for me. Whenever I get to him I only have like 4-5 health usually and he just dissolves me. This is even when I've got a weapon from the powerful selection and I've usually got a HP cap around 20. Anyone have any tips? I usually prioritize fireball since it seems like the best weapon, and I turn off the stuff I don't use. He doesn't actually seem as hard as
Unknown,
but I'm just tapped for resources by the time I get to him. Can upgrade terminals spawn on the sixth floor? I can't remember.

low-G

Just gonna put my 2c down that this is a really good one. Another good shooter with Rogue elements even if you think you're a little tired of Roguelikes.

I was drawn in by the graphical style, which is pulled off flawlessly, but it's a great game overall.

Apologies for the double post, but has anyone beaten
the boss called Monolith
on hard mode? This guy is such a wall for me. Whenever I get to him I only have like 4-5 health usually and he just dissolves me. This is even when I've got a weapon from the powerful selection and I've usually got a HP cap around 20. Anyone have any tips? I usually prioritize fireball since it seems like the best weapon, and I turn off the stuff I don't use. He doesn't actually seem as hard as
Unknown,
but I'm just tapped for resources by the time I get to him. Can upgrade terminals spawn on the sixth floor? I can't remember.
Here's a video of someone clearing Hard Mode with the default weapon / shooter. Ought to give you an idea or two re: pattern-based positioning vs the last boss.

1upsuper

Here's a video of someone clearing Hard Mode with the default weapon / shooter. Ought to give you an idea or two re: pattern-based positioning vs the last boss.

Thanks! I beat him. I had a great run and reached him with 17 HP and a razor with instant recall. I used the hermit supply drop but didn't actually get second wind nor the special weapon selection from the terminals, which are usually pretty important in my good runs.

Story thoughts:
The ending is so sad. :'( RIP Null and D-13. Also, are we to assume that the Overlord itself, the little orange guy, was some product of the Power Eternal which corrupted the Sword Ship before Null and D-13 arrived? Also, Kleines said that two ships made it to the end before Null - one was the Sword Ship who became the Overlord, but who's the other one? Unknown/The Machine? I loved the little story and setting to this game.

Everything about this game is amazing. I play a lot of roguelites but this is one of my very favorites now.

1upsuper

Phew!
Beat The Machine with 1HP remaining with the Sword Ship. I ran out of ammo at the last second too. Very close call. My first run of the day is often my best though.
Now the Chaos Ship is lots of fun!

Top Bottom