• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - E3 2017 Trailer

AaronMT86

bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-delay-explanation-header.jpg.optimal.jpg

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - E3 2017 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVYb6xeUcU

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The actual level of detail in the art assets in game makes the lighting all the weirder. Can someone smarter than me explain why the lighting looks that way and can't be more atmospheric/less overlit?

Animations still look a bit clunky but assuming the gameplay and level design are solid I'll still pick this up

FloatOn

some of the larger 3d models look strange. like that bell and some of the bigger enemies.

I don't know why they couldn't just do sprites.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I saw some effects on the background that one could argue are "improved," but overall the MC and enemies still don't look like they fit with the environment whatsoever, the animations are like molasses, and the presentation as a whole captures none of the charm of the old 2D titles. Shame.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I want to like this more than I do. The idea of it seems better than the execution. Maybe I'm expecting sprite work and my feeble mind can't handle Unreal4 in 2D but this looks... off to me.

Who am I kidding, I'm still buying it Day One.

EDIT: So its not just me? I hadn't followed the game too much thought I might be bugging. Needs like a cell-shaded filter or something, I don't know.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Doesn't look good to me.

Too floaty, artwork and textures are bland and lacking in detail or imagination, music is kinda generic and predictable. The 2.5D thing is really hurting them. I get that it's an early build, I'm just not getting a good feeling from it.

I don't think it's going to live up to SOTN - I never thought I'd regret backing this.

Magnus

Man, sidenote, is anyone having trouble with YouTube lately?
I usually stream 720p and 1080p vids no problem, but the last two days, they've been super slow to load, buffering like crazy. I'm at my usual 25 down/10 up speed.

She looks like she's running against 100mph winds

Yeah, that looks awful. The whole look of the game looks super unpolished. =/

The gameplay looks great, but the visuals just look so sterile and amateur. This really should've been a 2D game, it has that same kind of vacant unfinished look as Mighty No 9. Granted, the game isn't done yet and being a dev I understand that it isn't necessarily indicative of what the final game will look like but...

We all tried to say the same thing about MN9 pre-release, and look how that turned out (just visually speaking), and this is even being developed by much of the same staff.

This is sadly looking more Mighty No.9 than Shovel Knight at the moment.

It's like the art and graphics can't decide if they are really pretty or really shit.

emag

Everyone moves like they're underwater. It's all so slow (albeit smooth). I'm sure Bloodstained will still be a competent game, but I doubt it will be a great one.

Isn't this like a year or so out before release. Calm down folks.

Also... it looks exactly like what people wanted, a 2D style Castlevania, the movement, areas, and more all look 100% what people wanted imo.

LogicStep

Hmm.. looks alright. I was really interested in the game, and I backed it, but after playing Dead Cells the combat in this game looks.. too slow.

Still in decision mode on this. Would probably need to play it first to get a feel for controls.

Looks somewhat floaty to me as of right now, but I'm not going to dismiss it outright. Waiting, and seeing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
some of the larger 3d models look strange. like that bell and some of the bigger enemies.

I don't know why they couldn't just do sprites.
They don't have the old sprites to reuse and making new sprites by the sound of things is not that cheap depending the level of detail they want.

Aeana

The running animation and speed look just like every other SotN-style CV. I've always thought it looks weird, but it's accurate to the target they're aspiring to.

Beepos

While this isn't bad at all, put me in the old school camp of sprite work, Dawn of Sorrow looked better in presentation imo.

ThisOne

Isn't this like a year or so out before release. Calm down folks.

Also... it looks exactly like what people wanted, a 2D style Castlevania, the movement, areas, and more all look 100% what people wanted imo.
People didn't want boring looking 3D models though.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly they should use a walking animation the slow running does look weird but it's how previous igavanias played. Just make it a fast walk anination instead of a running one.

SotN and others use a fast walk animation.

I'd love to see someone do a video comparing movement and jumping in this game to various other Castlevania games, side-by-side, Digital Foundry style. I feel like it's close, if not exactly the same as some of the older titles. The 3D just makes it look more sluggish.

Top Bottom