• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was your "awakening" (stopped being emotionally attached to wealthy companies)?

I guess most of us have been there. I'v been on the internet since '99 or 2000 and was a bit of a childish shit when it came to defending my toys on the internet in the 2000s, I'm not gonna lie.

With age, things thankfully changed as one obviously (or hopefully) gets some perspective on things. Defending some million dollars company on the internet seemed increasingly silly to me, as I grew more aware that they are likely to never return the favour to me or care very much for that matter. I'd say there's no exact date at which my "awakening" happened but rather a gradual process of maturing and seeing most video game companies for what they were: profit maximizing companies in a free economy. Nothing wrong with that, I work in such a company too, but clearly not worth doing free PR on internet forums for.

Obviously, discussing videos games as such is something I still love to do, but defending companies regardless of their actions or simply due to the fact that I purchased said game or platform as to justify my decision, just seems silly at this point unless I get paid. I'm a consumer first and that's that.

Auctopus

It's perfectly fine to be enthusiastic about companies and their products, just don't die on a hill for them.

Edit: in saying that, there are some members of this forum that I sometimes suspect have some sort of financial interest.

Banned
It was a warm summer day in 1994. I was six years old. I went to my neighbors house to play on a Sega Genesis. It was Sonic 2. I fell in love and wanted it on my SNES. I was sad to learn it was exclusive.

Since this day I've played games on any platform just to play that game. I'm platform agnostic. I go where the games I want to play are.

RPGamer92

Banned
I was a major Nintendo fanboy until about E3 2008 with the Wii Music conference. After that, I started branching out a lot more.

AALLx

Maturity is when you start not giving a fuck what other people say. If you're bothered or somewhat affected by how attached other people are to their consoles, you might wanna do a double-check on that maturity thing.

I don't champion one specific manufacturer (I have a PS2/3/4/P/Vita, a Wii/3DS, and over 350 Steam games), though I do have some form of distaste for a particular one.

hotcyder

I popped out the oven agnostic

glasses09.jpg

Womb to the Tomb - never getting hung up on games companies

PS3's five hunderd and ninety-nine dollars!

We know you'll love it so much, you'll get a second job...

From that day forward I became a vote with your dollar consumer. I buy stuff to support the devs who make things that I love. Sometimes I even buy games that I don't have any intention of playing, just to support the creativity behind it.

I bough Bayonetta on the WiiU and only played it for about 4 hours before dropping it, but I wasn't sore about that purchase. I wanted to do my part to support good 3rd parties for a Nintendo product.

True Fire

It was a mix between Final Fantasy XIII sucking and the Wii software drought. 2010 was a turning point for my perception of video game companies

Cramoss

Around 2006 when the Wii came out, until that point I'd root for Nintendo but then I just stopped caring about it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never been passionate about platforms or companies, just the games themselves, but even in my younger years I wasn't one to dismiss an opposing opinion rather than merely disagree with it. I do appreciate the fact that the PS3 being my primary platform for a few years allows me to easily look past aliasing, inconsistent performance and screen tearing, though. Thanks, Sony!

Raw64life

Didn't have an epiphany. I just became an adult.

Although I sure wish astroturfing was a thing when I was 12 years old. I would've been making bank.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I have never been emotionally attached to any company, they're there for the money. Mad respect? Blind faith? A dose of unbreakable fanboyism? Of course yes, but only for one or two of them, they've earned it in the last three decades

When Commodore died and I had to get both a PC and a SNES. So about age 11.

Having preferences is cool but there are some serious sad cases on gaming forums lol.

PillarEN

I used to give a damn about Nike when I was a kid. Just liked their swoosh. Pure marketing won me over essentially. Probably stopped caring once punk rock grabbed me by the shoulders and said "stop being a corporate bitch, bitch" and I submitted. So early teens? I also remember defending the Gamecube when I was 13/14. that was probably the last time I really defended a corporation like it was a team.

Edit: That doesn't mean you can't be enthusiastic about what companies do. It's more along the lines of my last bit. I don't treat them like teams where I'm a blind fan.

trixx

When I realized I'm still broke as shit and need to utilize my time better, this is quite recent.

I also just got ps4/Xbox/switch recently so whatever

Finding out EA had closed Westwood. For context, Red Alert was the game that brought me into gaming, and between that and The Sims I have a lot of nostalgia and fond memories for them and Maxis. I'd spend hours during vacations just playing the games, so it was a pretty sad blow that's always been in the back of my mind whenever I've seen something EA related. After reading that they shut down Maxis Emeryville I was done with sympathy for them. Granted the bit about being emotionally attached to wealthy companies probably came about earlier, but this is the clearest game-related example I can think of.

Sad too is that a friend of mine was a huge fan of Baldur's Gate and I watched him play it quite a lot which sparked a quiet interest in RPGs. Given how they've been going I figure it's only a matter of time before Bioware get the same treatment. Oh, and as a kid I was huge fan of Theme Hospital, too. Guess what happened there?

It's happening to me now. I've always been attached to Sony mainly because of nostalgic reasons (and the older I get, the more nostalgic I become). But lately I've tried PC and Nintendo (both which I all but abandoned at early/mid-2000s), re-discovering their attributes.

Not that I don't like Sony now -they still release most of my Japanese games after all. But I'm not willing to immolate myself for them or unsee every wrong they can make.

This generation, and my late twenties. All I care about is great games at this point. If they're available on the box I have, great! If not, bummer, but there are other games.

Velcro Fly

I think I've always been this way. Just play fun games wherever they are. I've owned every generation of Nintendo handheld, both a PSP and Vita, and both the original XBOX and the 360. Enjoyed games on all of them.

luulubuu

A company - * breathes*

me, person with 0 attachment to anything-

But I think it happened after PS2, I just had more fun playing whatever it was fun at the moment with no brand as a seal of quality. I don't even read critics or reviews, I play what I want and I enjoy better my time with games that way.

Maturity is when you start not giving a fuck what other people say. If you're bothered or somewhat affected by how attached other people are to their consoles, you might wanna do a double-check on that maturity thing.

I don't champion one specific manufacturer (I have a PS2/3/4/P/Vita, a Wii/3DS, and over 350 Steam games), though I do have some form of distaste for a particular one.

Agreed. This sort of "awakening" is unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with defending anything you like, for any reason. It can help to be aware of it, of your own potential biases and such, but if you feel strongly about something don't feel like you need to stop. Don't let anyone look down on your for liking something.

HeelPower

FFXV.

It made me rethink how I look at games and FF.Look for "profound experiences" elsewhere.Square Enix just isnt deserving of my obsession with them.They make shiny but mediocre products aimed at younger audiences.

It was such a gut punch.Now I amnot sure games can deliver intellectual experiences to adults.

LionPride

Banned
When I started playing video games as a 3 year old because going to bat for a video game company who's sole goal is to make money and acting as if they care about you specifically and as if they must cater to your every whim and acting as if any person who says fuck Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony/Bethesda/whatever is insulting you personally is childish.

Kyrios

I've never been attached to any one company or brand.

This, grew up with my dad always saying they all just want your money. I have my preferences, but I'm not going to be offended or die on any hill since we're all just making them rich anyways.

Extreme fanboyism in general always struck me as odd.

When I started playing video games as a 3 year old because going to bat for a video game company who's sole goal is to make money and acting as if they care about you specifically and as if they must cater to your every whim and acting as if any person who says fuck Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony/Bethesda/whatever is insulting you personally is childish.

What's wrong with being childish as a kid?

Usobuko

Banned
I can't because their well being is tied to my identity.

By that I mean every non mainstream companies, I would like to see them thrive instead of AAA gobbling everything.

Probably around the time I managed to get a Gamecube, a PS2 an Xbox, and an old PC for little to no money near the end of that generation, and I realized that they all basically do the same thing, and that any differences between them were incredibly, imperceptibly minor.

It's perfectly fine to be enthusiastic about companies and their products, just don't die on a hill for them.

Edit: in saying that, there are some members of this forum that I sometimes suspect have some sort of financial interest.

I find most of the exuberant emotions on video game boards are either born from delusion or ignorance. And oftentimes willful in both cases. An "awakening" is a good word for snapping the fuck out of that shit.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
When Rare was sold to Microsoft.

I played Star Fox Adventures and searched why the hell the game wasn't a real Star Fox. I got deep into Rare and saw that some employes wasn't in the company anymore. So why bother?

From the start, I thought it was the worst thing ever, but then I realize that it was just business.

PillarEN

Do 3 year olds even know the concept of money? 🤔

shandy706

Been a PC/multi-console gamer all my life.

I was a HUGE Nintendo/RARE fan in the 90s though. Grew out of it in the 2000's and eventually got to where I buy hardware/games based on what I want to play, not who puts them out.

I'd say I'm a Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft "fan" across the board now. I can be very supportive or very critical of some games from all 3 though. Nintendo broke my heart with the Wii...LOL.

Tain

I don't know, I grew up wanting to play everything. I'll probably always have a soft spot for Sega, but it's not as though my Genesis-owning self didn't also want a SNES to play Megaman X on (which is why I circled back on prior console generations when I started earning money as a teen).

Top Bottom