• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moss PSVR - a big VR game starring a tiny little mouse

takoyaki

moss_2017_06-12-17_01i9ugs.png

Announced during Sony's E3 2017 conference at the end of their PSVR showcase

Developed by Polyarc (ex-Bungie developers)

PSVR Exclusive

Single-Player

Action-Adventure Puzzle Game

Stars you the player and a brave, female mouse named "Quill"

Available Holiday 2017

TRAILER

E3 DEMO PLAYTHROUGH (KindaFunnyGames)

Polyarc PR (via Gematsu) said:
About

Moss is a single-player action-adventure puzzle game and new IP tailor-made for the VR platform. It takes the classic components of a great game—such as compelling characters, gripping combat, and captivating world exploration—and combines them with the exciting opportunities of virtual reality. The result is a fully interactive and immersive player experience set in an engaging fantasy world.

Key Features

• Physical Interaction – Players reach into a dynamic, interactive world where their every action has impact. They move objects, assist in battle and puzzle-solving, heal the hero, and alter the actual landscape of play through their own direct influence.

• World Immersion – Moss brings players into the world. Their senses transport them to lively, humming environments filled with intriguing creatures, ancient artifacts, and vast, panoramic views.

• The Moss Story – Quill is the brave new hero of Moss. She's a young mouse with dreams of greatness beyond the confines of her quiet settlement. When an ancient magic is awakened, she becomes linked to the player who is their own character in the story. When a distant evil extends its reach, they're called together on an epic journey. Fantasy storybook readings throughout gameplay further develop a compelling storyline and draw players into a rich tale of myth and magic.

• Character Interaction – The alliance between Quill and the player is an extraordinary one. Their bond deepens and thrives through mutual communication and shared experiences. In gameplay, their abilities are complementary and both characters will be needed to achieve victory.

• Control Mechanics – Players guide the hero via approachable and familiar action-adventure controls. At the same time, they can directly reach in and manipulate the field of play as their own character and key ally to Quill.

• Quality & Polish – Moss features intuitive gameplay, creative design, and a high degree of art, sound, and animation polish. The overall quality is a key reason players feel they've been transported into the world.

Moss is an exciting addition to the current marketplace. This is the game that VR players have been waiting to play, play again, and share with their friends.

=> More Screenshots & Info on Gematsu

Thread will be updated with more information during E3.

This is easily the most adorable character design in any game I've ever seen.

I'll give the Playstation conference one thing, I'm sold on PSVR now, and in no small part to how much I want to interact with this little fella.

Maligna

Banned
Playroom Robot Rescue showed me how great platformers can be in VR, so I won't be writing this one off before I try it.

Nicko

The game looks fantastic and totally tugged at my heart strings. Exactly the sort of game I want to play in VR. This and Spiderman were my two favorites​ of the show!

low-G

Any word on if it's PSVR exclusive? Not explicitly stated anywhere, official site just calls it a VR game.

takoyaki

developed by Polyarc (ex-Bungie developers)

they raised $3.5 Million For their VR Startup to develop Moss

UploadVR said:
Polyarc will focus primarily on virtual reality gaming content but as of this writing specifics on its first title are still shrouded in mystery. What we do know is that in March the fledgling studio received an Epic Games Unreal Developer grant. The funds were awarded for a game known only as ”Moss."

from UploadVR

III-V

developed by Polyarc (ex-Bungie developers)

“Our immediate goal is to make full use of the immersion and physical interaction made possible only with VR to create thoughtfully designed, appealing, and accessible games with high player value,” Alderson wrote on his LinkedIn page about Polyarc

Jetman

Looks good!

Glad to see some positivity in here. The GAF hate for PSVR in the Sony Conference thread was vomit-inducing. Just pure-unbridled, hilarious hate from people who've never even tried it out.

takoyaki

More info from UploadVR:

Now Polyarc just announced today at Sony’s E3 2017 press conference that their new upcoming game, Moss, channels a lot of what makes those games great and is releasing it exclusively for PSVR.

However, Moss has some major differences. “Moss came from thinking about what VR is good at and it came from thinking about the first principles of what would make a good game,” explained Tam Armstrong in an interview, developer at Polyarc. “VR can transport you places and offers you the opportunity to physically interact with things. We wanted a rich environment with a strong sense of place and let you manipulate objects. It’s so much more powerful in VR. Things came from that like the scale in the world and having a small hero so that all the interaction felt comfortable.”

Gameplay in Moss is similar to The Legend of Zelda with a top-down camera angle and gamepad controls, but with more of a focus on exploration and puzzles rather than combat.

“One of our core principles is that we want as many people to be able to enjoy it as possible so we are leaning on exploration and puzzle solving because those are in particular the moments you can take the game at your own pace,” said Armstrong. “We’ve seen a wide variety of play time in the game based on how much someone wants to be there and explore and solve puzzles on their own. The combat is a way to add some fun punctuation to the design and using enemies to solve puzzles.”

While playing the DualShock 4 is actually used for a lot more than just controlling your character, too. You can actually interact with the game world since the DualShock 4 is entirely motion tracked with the PS Camera.

bumpkin

I'm psyched, it looks cute and clever. Did anyone else hear the crickets inside the theater though? I don't think I even heard any applause.

zenspider

Thought this was a Mouse Guard game for a hot second. So down for this. The highlight of a pretty decent showing for VR but made me wonder... Where's Golem?

beef3483

At the top of my must-have list along with Skyrim VR.

Thought this was a Mouse Guard game for a hot second. So down for this. The highlight of a pretty decent showing for VR but made me wonder... Where's Golem?

Thought the same thing. Also ex-Bungie guys. If it's not mentioned by the end of E3, I would be worried.

element

Really happy for the Polyarc team. Two of the guys worked on Condemned before going to Bungie to work on Destiny.

Chris Alderson is one of those guys. He is amazingly talented!

One of his paintings.

10808897_1523086484612816_1516183928_n.jpg

This is just one of the multiple companies spawned off from Bungie in the last couple years.
Polyarc
V1 Interactive
Highwire Games
Endeavor One

I'd keep an eye out for V1 in the future.

kubus

Probably my "game of the show" so far. Love the idea, the aesthetic, the character, everything. Got Unravel vibes from it, and now I'm sad that EA didn't reveal Unravel 2 :(. Can't wait to play this!

kubus

Gematsu has some more info. Plot twist: the mouse is female :D (and she's called Quill!)

About

Moss is a single-player action-adventure puzzle game and new IP tailor-made for the VR platform. It takes the classic components of a great game—such as compelling characters, gripping combat, and captivating world exploration—and combines them with the exciting opportunities of virtual reality. The result is a fully interactive and immersive player experience set in an engaging fantasy world.

Key Features

• Physical Interaction – Players reach into a dynamic, interactive world where their every action has impact. They move objects, assist in battle and puzzle-solving, heal the hero, and alter the actual landscape of play through their own direct influence.
  • World Immersion – Moss brings players into the world. Their senses transport them to lively, humming environments filled with intriguing creatures, ancient artifacts, and vast, panoramic views.
  • The Moss Story – Quill is the brave new hero of Moss. She’s a young mouse with dreams of greatness beyond the confines of her quiet settlement. When an ancient magic is awakened, she becomes linked to the player who is their own character in the story. When a distant evil extends its reach, they’re called together on an epic journey. Fantasy storybook readings throughout gameplay further develop a compelling storyline and draw players into a rich tale of myth and magic.
  • Character Interaction – The alliance between Quill and the player is an extraordinary one. Their bond deepens and thrives through mutual communication and shared experiences. In gameplay, their abilities are complementary and both characters will be needed to achieve victory.
  • Control Mechanics – Players guide the hero via approachable and familiar action-adventure controls. At the same time, they can directly reach in and manipulate the field of play as their own character and key ally to Quill.
  • Quality & Polish – Moss features intuitive gameplay, creative design, and a high degree of art, sound, and animation polish. The overall quality is a key reason players feel they’ve been transported into the world.

Also HQ screenshots!

More can be found in Gematsu' gallery.

Playroom Robot Rescue showed me how great platformers can be in VR, so I won't be writing this one off before I try it.

I'm also glad to be seeing more VR Platformers, RR in Playroom was probably my favorite part so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this game and anything similar.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Surprisingly charming game that caught my attention.
Also, I almost thought this game was made by a Swedish (or possibly Nordic) dev team, since Möss in Swedish = Mice in English.

mclem

It got a bit buried in amongst all the other talk in the Sony thread, but for me, I think this was the game that stood out the most - and of the newly-announced titles, it was the one I was most immediately interested in. I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.

dosh

Ok, I'm really curious to see how the interaction and relation between Quill and the player are going to work. If they pull off that part, this could be something really special.

Top Bottom