• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: OneShot

header.jpg

I want to tell you each and every reason why you will fall in love with OneShot - a criminally underplayed surreal top down adventure puzzler created in a modified RPG Maker engine by a team of just three. I want to tell you all about the characters whose brief but loveable interactions will bring a smile to your lips. I want to tell you about the world that will slowly, softly lure you in. I want to tell you how when you're done it will all feel like a dream. Sadly, I think that any breath or whisper of knowledge I passed to you would undoubtedly steal something precious from you. I won't - I can't - bring myself to tell you the things I desperately want to, but I will do my best to make you give it a chance regardless.

The story of OneShot begins in a desolate, moonlit room. It begins, like most games, with a character. A young girl with bright yellow eyes and a blue scarf named Niko who must return the sun to its rightful place. Together, you and Niko will go on a journey to save a world that might be beyond saving. Together being the key word as Niko, the people, and the world itself all know of your existence. Not your avatar or reputation, but you yourself, sitting a world away on the other side of the screen with all the excitement, trepidation, or even cynicism that you always have when starting a new game. And that's the magic of OneShot - at its heart, it is a story about the stories we tell and the worlds we build. Through this, it tries to bridge the gap between reality and fiction asking questions about the nature of narrative mediums or, by extension, the nature of reality itself. Even more impressively it manages not to fall into the trap of pretension along the way by tying these themes with the more down to Earth ideas of childhood, purpose, and even mortality without slapping the player in the face with them.

The game lives up to its name. After finishing OneShot, I won't ever go back. I can't bring myself to open the game again, not even to get that final missing achievement - and I caution you would-be players not to make my mistake if achievements are something you care about. The story has ran its course; the world feels like it doesn't have a place for me anymore. But it still has one for you if you are willing to give it that chance and I hope you will take it up on the offer.

Steam Link to save you a search
84 - Metacritic (Only major critic is RPS though)

- This is my first thread like this and I wasn't sure about the format. LTTP seemed like the best fit but considering the game only has about 2500 reviews total on Steam - about the same amount of underrated as Momodora - I wasn't quite sure about the title. Feel free to change it, obviously.

SomTervo

Cool, might be worth playing with the gf. We loved Undertale and it sounds like a bigger more RPGey version of that.

Thanks for the LTTP, OP.

Cool, might be worth playing with the gf. We loved Undertale and it sounds like a bigger more RPGey version of that.

Thanks for the LTTP, OP.

I'm not sure I would go into it expecting bigger or really RPG-y from the game. There isn't any combat - most of the game revolves around solving the numerous puzzles to reach the Tower. All together I would say the game runs around 8 hours, maybe less if you are better than me at puzzles (although I looked up my time spent on Undertale and I spent 6 hours finishing that completely, so maybe slightly bigger). That said, Undertale is definitely a good comparison.

The game lives up to its name. After finishing OneShot, I won't ever go back. I can't bring myself to open the game again, not even to get that final missing achievement - and I caution you would-be players not to make my mistake if achievements are something you care about. The story has ran its course; the world feels like it doesn't have a place for me anymore. But it still has one for you if you are willing to give it that chance and I hope you will take it up on the offer.
Fair enough if you really feel that way, but I'd remiss not to mention that the creator updated the game some months after release with a new scenario that's only available on replay. I think it's really, really great and enhances the theme of the game in an inventive way.

epmode

I like this game. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but it's absolutely worth playing.

Fair enough if you really feel that way, but I'd remiss not to mention that the creator updated the game some months after release with a new scenario - only available on replay - and it's really, really great.

I forgot about that! I should play through it again.

Fair enough if you really feel that way, but I'd remiss not to mention that the creator updated the game some months after release with a new scenario that's only available on replay. I think it's really, really great and enhances the theme of the game in an inventive way.

I was accounting for that. I just think the fact that its made in RPG Maker might give people a different impression of what it is. Especially given the anime-esque art style.

Crayolan

OneShot is great. The way it implements 4th wall breaking into the story and gameplay still feels really unique, even after Undertale (though technically OneShot came before Undertale). Plus Niko is adorable.

Top Bottom