• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

Full interview here.

Sega has today announced a range of retro games for smart devices, but there's more behind this move than simply cashing in on childhood memories.

The new series, Sega Forever, takes classic titles from throughout the Japanese stalwart's 30-plus years of publishing and releases them for free to anyone with a smartphone or tablet. Starting with five games at launch, the company plans to release another two to three games per month - all with the same Forever branding.

It's a determined and long-term commitment that shows how important mobile has become to the publisher. Sega Networks' chief marketing officer Mike Evans - who proudly claims Sega Forever as his brainchild - says it hinges on taking full advantage of what it has over other mobile firms: a portfolio brimming with popular franchises.

It's a long-term strategy inspired by the various mobile publishers who create cross-promotion networks with their games portfolios. Ketchapp, in particular, stood out to the exec; the firm's rapid pace of new releases means it is constantly gaining new users and improving its discoverability, with each app pushing players towards the others.

"We're creating a network as well," Evans tells GamesIndustry.biz. "I really do believe that from the IP we have, the cost structure that we have and the growth you see within the advertising space, we'll have more than enough volume to support what we're doing."

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
🤔

giphy.gif

Any word on what the long term goal for this is? IP awareness like Nintendo's mobile games? Customer data? I'm surprised it's literally free, with the ability to save to Sega's own servers (seemingly).

Interesting to find out that it's the project of Sega Network's chief marketing officer though, rather than a creative or programmer, so I'm going for IP awareness.

The games are available now, hopefully they stand up to scrutiny against M2's 3D Classics.

Kalor

This could be interesting. They also talk about potentially releasing games that weren't localised either like Segagaga which would be weird.

Interested on seeing what happens when they run out of the exact same handful of Mega Drive games they've been porting to everything over and over again.

I mean, some Master System or Saturn ports might be nice for a change.

TimmiT

Trailer

Also, about them potentially bringing the games to platforms other than mobile:
"About 90% of the games so far are in Unity," Evans explains. "The reason we chose Unity as middleware is it enables us to take this content to other platforms as well.

"So my first focus is mobile. It's a huge project and what I really want to do is get mobile right. After this, there are options: we can look at desktop, Facebook, we could even take these games to consoles like Switch.

Oh, press release says that the games will feature in-app ads, so I guess that's how it's going to roll.

Will there be a subscription to remove ads and also enable cloud saves? Not sure if those are free, but it'd be welcome.

Still, I'm sceptical. Porting the games to Unity isn't making me hopeful about input latency or performance, or even filesize - Arcade Pac-Man on PS4 is 1GB and was a Unity port.

Edit: Trailer features Crazy Taxi which has a single payment to remove ads.

Outrun

"I really do believe that from the IP we have, the cost structure that we have and the growth you see within the advertising space, we'll have more than enough volume to support what we're doing."

If you really believe in the IP that you have, then why the fuck don't we have new iterations of those IP?

Oh, press release says that the games will feature in-app ads, so I guess that's how it's going to roll.

Will there be a subscription to remove ads and also enable cloud saves? Not sure if those are free, but it'd be welcome.

Still, I'm sceptical. Porting the games to Unity isn't making me hopeful about input latency or performance, or even filesize - Arcade Pac-Man on PS4 is 1GB and was a Unity port.

Article in the OP says a $1.99 fee to remove adds.

Camjo-Z

"One of the key reasons [we're launching this] is the insight," Evans explains. "Within all the games, we're running ongoing surveys and we're always super interested to understand what our fans want. We'll able to chart the relative strength of the IP, we'll be able to understand the demographics and the psychographics of the people who are playing the games, and once we have that audience we'll be able to create further games and experiences for that audience as well."

Not only will this help Sega judge what new titles to build for mobile, such as Crazy Taxi Gazillionaire, Evans believes it might also influence games destined for other platforms like a "reimagining of Crazy Taxi on console" (although it should be stressed that such a project is not currently in development).

can we just skip the mobile stuff and get straight to the part where all our favorite SEGA games get console revivals

Interested on seeing what happens when they run out of the exact same handful of Mega Drive games they've been porting to everything over and over again.

I mean, some Master System or Saturn ports might be nice for a change.

Initially, many of the games released under the Forever umbrella will be from older consoles or converted from past mobile launches, but Evans hopes to eventually have a range that spans the entire history of Sega hardware - yes, even Dreamcast and Saturn.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Any word on what the long term goal for this is? IP awareness like Nintendo's mobile games? Customer data? .

All those things are specifically cited in the interview: they want to drive sales from mobile to other platforms, they want to track data on individual IP, they want to introduce people to a service they can later use to sell them on other crap.

oti

Banned
What's wrong with that? Everyone has got a smart devices.

Also, those games run on Unity. I don't think there's any reason to believe they won't come to consoles later. But Smart Devices are more important for SEGA at the beginning, which makes sense.

All those things are specifically cited in the interview: they want to drive sales from mobile to other platforms, they want to track data on individual IP, they want to introduce people to a service they can later use to sell them on other crap.

Thanks. On mobile so haven't read it yet. Makes sense then that this is a project that came from:

1) Marketing
and
2) Sega Networks, not Sega Games.

I hope it works out for Sega, and that the quality of the offerings are good. Looking forward to downloading a few this evening to try out, hopefully they've got Unity ports of the good variety.

Pachael

Money (?) quote
Not only will this help Sega judge what new titles to build for mobile, such as Crazy Taxi Gazillionaire, Evans believes it might also influence games destined for other platforms like a "reimagining of Crazy Taxi on console" (although it should be stressed that such a project is not currently in development).

I am somewhat enjoying Gazillionarire but it's got a gazillion ads bleh.

Also found about Jurgen Post leaving (from last month). Pity, he's really turned Sega Europe around.

darklin0

Banned

This is my biggest issue.

There are a lot of other red flags though, will definitely skip these.

Not really understanding the disappointment.

It's a collection of free games with more being added and they even have controller/leaderboard support.
What's not to like?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just wish they'd fix Sonic 1 for the newer phones. I bought it on my Galaxy S3 long ago, and can't play it on my S7 Edge. At least give me the ad-free edition of this new version for free, Sega.

Marcel

It's retro games...but on mobile with ads. I'm not sure why this guy thinks one of the safest moves out there is some big fucking deal.

Spades

Also; everyone complaining about this being on Smart Phones. Why? Would you complain about them being on Switch?

Seems like a good deal to me.

Fhtagn

So are any of these on the App Store yet? I looked at Sega's page and didn't see anything new.

And if they aren't, why the big push now?

Interfectum

Also; everyone complaining about this being on Smart Phones. Why? Would you complain about them being on Switch?

Seems like a good deal to me.

GAF still believes smartphones aren't a viable option for video games despite companies making millions and billions.

All the Sega Forever games support controllers.

The true feel of classic portable gaming, cheap plastic clip on accessories and all.
Handy_Boy_ad_for_original_Game_Boy.jpg

I guess the sloppy touch controls, input lag, and interruptions for video ads for clash of clans will really fit the mobile audience that would play these for 3 minutes and get bored.

Not like there hasn't been other ways to play every Sega Genesis game on your phone for years now.

Omikaru

To me, this seems like Sega are doing to their extended back catalogue what Christian Whitehead did to Sonic 1, 2 and CD: port them to a modern engine with new features and such.

The mobile-only bit is obviously going to grate with some people, but I don't think that precludes them ever coming to console platforms or PC. Sonic CD did! I'd be surprised if Sega didn't release these on every modern platform going forward.

What I am wondering is if the Retro Engine ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD (all inevitably coming to Sega Forever) will be remade in Unity, or if they will just be rejigged versions of the excellent ports already out there. It'd be a shame if the Retro Engine versions were thrown into the trash.

Hey, my car has Bluetooth, it could support controllers too!

We're not talking about cars, we're talking about mobile.

I'm not getting why you're upset here. You moaned about the inputs, but there are controllers designed specifically for mobile phones for those who hate touchscreen gameplay. I have two (a GameVice for my iPhone and a Steelseries Nimbus for my Apple TV and iPad) and they are both very well-made.

The true feel of classic portable gaming, cheap plastic clip on accessories and all.
Handy_Boy_ad_for_original_Game_Boy.jpg

I guess the sloppy touch controls, input lag, and interruptions for video ads for clash of clans will really fit the mobile audience that would play these for 3 minutes and get bored.

Not like there hasn't been other ways to play every Sega Genesis game on your phone for years now.

You are clutching at straws now and it's quite pathetic.

1) The controllers I mentioned above aren't cheap and don't feel cheap.
2) Sloppy touch controls can be avoided, with a controller.
3) How do you know these games have input lag?
4) Ads can be removed with a purchase.
5) Every classic Mega Drive game is a stretch. You can play a handful of them. Plus Sega Forever will be covering games from other consoles too.

sheaaaa

GAF still believes smartphones aren't a viable option for video games despite companies making millions and billions.

Of course smartphones are great gaming platforms but shoehorning classic games which were made with controllers in mind onto a touchscreen doesn't really get me excited. Sega Forever is like a monkey's paw wish for me. Classic games - but on possibly the worst input device they could have.

Spaghetti

Cool ad.

I don't play games on my phone, though. I expect a lot of people who might have otherwise been in the target audience feel the same.

Might have been a good idea to at least have a desktop client for PC ready for launch as an alternative option.

To me, this seems like Sega are doing to their extended back catalogue what Christian Whitehead did to Sonic 1, 2 and CD: port them to a modern engine with new features and such.

The mobile-only bit is obviously going to grate with some people, but I don't think that precludes them ever coming to console platforms or PC. Sonic CD did! I'd be surprised if Sega didn't release these on every modern platform going forward.

What I am wondering is if the Retro Engine ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD (all inevitably coming to Sega Forever) will be remade in Unity, or if they will just be rejigged versions of the excellent ports already out there. It'd be a shame if the Retro Engine versions were thrown into the trash.

We're not talking about cars, we're talking about mobile.

I'm not getting why you're upset here. You moaned about the inputs, but there are controllers designed specifically for mobile phones for those who hate touchscreen gameplay. I have two (a GameVice for my iPhone and a Steelseries Nimbus for my Apple TV and iPad) and they are both very well-made.

Honestly I don't understand why companies are focused on putting retro games on mobile where emulators are widely available for cheap and the market is looking for more casual and less challenging experiences that cost nothing.

Mewnwhile on consoles where there's proper input methods, a market looking for challenging games, and willing to pay for them, it's tumbleweeds except for hamster corp and their arcade archives which are great.

Top Bottom