• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss what a hypothetical N64 Classic/N64 Mini would entail

Gleethor

With the announcement of the SNES Classic, I thought it might be fun to speculate what next year's model might offer. I should note that this post is less of a "here's what I want" list and more of a "here's what I think is likely"

I'm thinking 4 controllers supported with 2 included and ~20 games at $99.99

I don't think Nintendo should even bother with third party games on an N64 Classic unless EA wants to be reasonable with the Star Wars license. Take that money to Microsoft and get some Rareware stuff instead, since they seem pretty open to it. Hell it might not even be worth doing an N64 Classic if they can't get MS on board.

IF they could get a few Rare titles, here's what I think the game list would end up looking like:

-1080º Snowboarding
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Banjo-Tooie
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Donkey Kong 64
-F-Zero X
-Goldeneye 007
-Jet Force Gemini
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 2
-Paper Mario
-Pokemon Snap
-Star Fox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

If they can't Rare games, then we're probably getting stuff like Bomberman, Ogre Battle, or Harvest Moon aka much less exciting.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
With the announcement of the SNES Classic, I thought it might be fun to speculate what next year's model might offer.

I don't think Nintendo should even bother with third party games on an N64 Classic unless EA wants to be reasonable with the Star Wars license. Take that money to Microsoft and get some Rareware stuff instead, since they seem pretty open to it.

IF they could get a few Rare titles, here's what I think the game list would end up looking like:

-1080º Snowboarding
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Banjo-Tooie
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Donkey Kong 64
-F-Zero X
-Goldeneye 007
-Jet Force Gemini
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 2
-Paper Mario
-Pokemon Snap
-Star Fox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

If they can't Rare games, then we're probably getting stuff like Bomberman, Ogre Battle, or Harvest Moon aka much less exciting.

Did you just say Ogre Battle & Harvest Moon 64 are less exciting? You are no longer allowed to plan these lists.

Oh lord the controller will be larger than the console

Honestly, I think that if Nintendo puts out an N64 Mini, it should include a fully functional cartridge slot somewhere on it.

They need a, Pokemon Puzzle League OR Tetris Attack. 4-player multiplayer is going to be the main appeal of this thing, and a good puzzler rounds out the package.

The licencing would also be a nightmare, but I'd love it if they were able to secure the rights to Star Wars Episode 1: Podracer on the thing. It's not even a great game, but it really defined that system for a lot of people.

I honestly don't care about what games it'd have.

I DO care about what they are going to do with the controller's stick. Every single one of my N64 controllers are pretty much useless because the sticks like to disintegrate after some time.

Just fix the fucking sticks and I'll buy 20 units.

Gleethor

We need Mario Party 3. Add that to the list.

Idk if they'd give 4 controllers. I can see 2 controllers though.

The list is what I think they would come up with (with hypothetical Rareware support), not necessarily what I would personally want. MP2 is the only N64 Mario Party that has thus far been re-released, so yeah. Same deal with the Pokemon Stadium games, I love em but re-releasing them is problematic since they're heavily tied to connecting to the Gameboy releases.

I'm saying that the system would support 4 controllers, not come with 4. They would likely include 2.

ASaiyan

Banned
I'm all over the SNES Mini even at the increased price (especially since it includes a second controller now). $99 would be a bit steep for an N64 ROM box; I dunno if they'd need to bundle four controllers, even if it did come with Smash Bros (though that might be something they'd do to try and justify a $100 price tag). But the N64 was my first ever console, so I might still bite, lol. Especially if Pokemon Stadium was on there; I've been wanting a sequel/VC release of that game forever. If it were moddable like the NES mini that'd add a lot of value too.

elmo's number journey
Omg yes. Elmo's Letter Adventure and Elmo's Number Journey were two of the first games I ever owned (along with DK64). It'd never be included, but if you could mod it in that would be a serious nostalgia trip for me, lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
1 Superman 64
2 daikatana
3 carmageddon 64
4 elmo's number journey
5 rugrats: scavenger hunt
6 mortal kombat mythologies : sub zero
7 aero guage
8 mega man legends
9 southpark rally
10 powerpuff girls: chemical X-traction

Cant think of more games i would like on a n64 mini so 10 is ok by me.

It would probably entail an asinine production schedule and limited availability because Nintendo is a young, 127 year old company that just hasn't had time to figure this stuff out yet.

Toad.T

Banned
With the announcement of the SNES Classic, I thought it might be fun to speculate what next year's model might offer.

-1080º Snowboarding
-Mario Tennis
-Mario Golf
-Excitebike 64
-Mario Party 3
-F-Zero X
-Pokemon Puzzle Leauge
-Sin and Punishment (Unreleased English ver.)
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 2
-Paper Mario
-Pokemon Snap
-Star Fox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

Fixed with no Rare options.

JusDoIt

Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
GoldenEye 007
Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64

and 15 other games because we gotta pretend the N64 library was deep.

Gleethor

1 Superman 64
2 daikatana
3 carmageddon 64
4 elmo's number journey
5 rugrats: scavenger hunt
6 mortal kombat mythologies : sub zero
7 aero guage
8 mega man legends
9 southpark rally
10 powerpuff girls: chemical X-traction

Cant think of more games i would like on a n64 mini so 10 is ok by me.

yo where the hell is Buck Bumble

Sephzilla

Unfortunately most of the good WCW/WWF games wouldn't make the cut because of likeness rights and Chris Benoit being in the roster for a bunch of them

RedBoot

This would actually be a tough design for Nintendo. A huge chunk of their own library is unavailable, and the 3rd party support for the N64 was much stronger from western devs compared to Japanese devs, which is where Nintendo usually looks for their classic releases.

They would also almost certainly use 4 player support as a marketing focus, since that's one of the things people remember the N64 for and it's vital for several of the guaranteed inclusions (Mario Kart 64, Smash 64).

Konami had strong N64 support, and as bad as the company can be these days, they still offer strong support for retro releases. They'd be included here. Capcom can really only offer Mega Man 64 unless Nintendo decides it's worth including M-rated titles (which would get us RE2). Square, despite shunning the console themselves at the time, could offer Mischief Makers or Ogre Battle 64 from their current catalog. Namco has a Pac-Man title and Ridge Racer.

I think this box would almost require dealing with MS/Rare or a western dev to build a sufficient library.

andymcc

Banned
It would be like the 10 games that are worth anything on it.

literally, even the OP is generous with the want list.

Worst Nintendo console tbh

No pilotwings in op is gross.

Aside from the obvious, I'd also want rogue squadron, sin and punishment and hybrid heaven.

Episode 1 Racer too. Body harvest maybe.

I honestly doubt the N64 has the library to make a Classic worthwhile, but that might come down to my personal slant that outside of a tiny handful of game-changers it had the weakest Nintendo console library of all.

GoldenEye is a licensing nightmare in several directions at once (the Bond IP and particularly the rights involved with the likenesses of actors are bound up in all sorts of complications, which is why GoldenEye Wii used the likeness of Daniel Craig) and if it isn't part of the package, it's no sale for a lot of people who might be interested, and to a far greater extent than a notable absence like Chrono Trigger from the SNES Classic. But maybe that deflation of mass-market demand would make the system easier to find for the people who want it for Nintendo first-party via HDMI and with the original controller layout.

Revven

Picking anywhere from 10-20 games for the N64 is very, very difficult. Especially when it comes to whether they should include hidden gems like Snowboard Kids 1 or 2 or Mischief Makers or etc. over things like Pokemon Stadium, Goldeneye, OoT, SM64, etc etc.

The ideal is they'd have 30 games for this thing but looking at how the SNES Classic has 20... N64 might be lucky to even get 15. :/

Probably 10-15 games, 4 controllers included for $100

Probably a list of games that looks like the one below

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi Story
Castlevania 64
Bomberman 64
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Stadium 2
Super Smash Bros

So there were 20 N64 games released on Wii U VC (Harvest Moon 64, Bomberman 64, Excitebike 64 and DK64 were new) and 19 on Wii VC (Crusin' USA, Bomberman Hero and Super Smash Bros have not made it to Wii U...Crusin' seems like the long shot here)

The controllers are going to weird as I imagine the rumble pak (controller pak and tranfer pak too but ehh...) port will be blocked off...or they could have the rumble pak built in.

Edit: I want to see Space Station Silicon Valley somehow get on there for more awkward you know that thing Mario did...this game did it first.

Sephzilla

My list, if there were no rights issues what so ever, would be

- 1080º Snowboarding
- Banjo-Kazooi
- Blast Corps
- Bomberman 64
- Donkey Kong 64
- F-Zero X
- GoldenEye 007
- Jet Force Gemini
- Kirby 64
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time