• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler (anime/tv) |OT| Better Bring your "A" Game to school

Cornbread78

LT58l2U.jpg

Internet Streaming: Netflix
Broadcast: Saturdays at 22:00 (JST)
Airing Begins: 7/1
Genres: Mystery, Psychological, Drama, School, Shounen
Episodes: 12
Producers: Square Enix, DIVE II Entertainment, Avex Pictures
Studio: MAPPA
Source material is Manga: Published: Mar 22, 2014 to ?

Plot Summary:
At Hyakkaō Private Academy, the sons and daughters of the wealthiest of the wealthy engage in a unique curriculum geared to teach them to how to read their opponents. Specifically, students have a rigorous curriculum of gambling where the winners live like kings, and the losers are put through the wringer. When Yumeko Jabami enrolls, she's decides to teach the students what a real high-roller looks like. (from manga)

Staff:
Director: Yuichiro Hayashi
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi
Music: TECHNOBOYS PULCRAFT GREEN-FUND
Original creator:
Homura Kawamoto
Tōru Naomura
Character Design: Manabu Akita

Voice Actors/Cast:
Minami Tanaka as Meari Saotome
Saori Hayami as Yumeko Jabami
Tatsuya Tokutake as Ryōta Suzui
Ayaka Fukuhara as Sayaka Igarashi
Karin Nanami as Yuriko Nishinotōin
Mariya Ise as Midari Ikishima
Mayu Udono as Runa Yomozuki
Miyuki Sawashiro as Kirari Momobami
Tomokazu Sugita as Kaede Manyūda
Yū Serizawa as Yumemi Yumemite
Yūki Wakai as Itsuki Sumeragi

Opening Theme:
"Deal with devil" by Tia

Ending Theme:
"LAYon-theLINE" by D-Selections

MAL Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34933/Kakegurui

Media:
PV1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XpKHj3rl88
PV2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew_Gv_jEwG4

h3FVNuS.jpg

Zaru

The main character is at the top right corner on the hot/crazy scale. Love the manga.

Important info for everyone giving this a try without prior knowledge:
The girl is the real main character and the male main is just a "normal" person introducing us to an incredibly fucked up school environment. He basically gets sidelined quickly. We're just not allowed to read into the actual main character's mind for various reasons.
It's not exactly common that the inner thoughts of the protagonist are a constant enigma to the audience.

Cornbread78

I'm in it for the mind games. I really enjoyed that about No Game No Life and looking forward to more of that with no imouto's with this show!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh, I might actually like this. Loved Kaiji, Akagi, and Liar Game. Like Cornbread said, I'm in for the mind games.

daevious

I ended up marathoning the entire manga over two days in preparation for this show and it was one of the best choices I ever made.

Best way to describe this series is "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure if every fight was D'arby the Gambler/D'arby the Gamer".

Aiii

So not worth it
First episode sure was something. From the OP to the art, good stuff. Enjoyed it, definitely will continue watching.

Permanently A

While the episodes may be avaliable for viewing, be careful to keep discussion based on the show itself in here...

look at GAF-chan’s words of advice:
LVHG7iP.png

If discussion of pirated material is not allowed, then does that mean there can be no discussion of this anime in this thread from non japanese users?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought Episode 1 was pretty meh. The Male Gaze was cranked to 11 and I didn't find the the solution to the game particularly clever. I get that there still being a chance for failure is kinda the point if you enjoy gambling. But the mirror and overt signaling is just lazy writing. It's like when a mystery writer doesn't figure out the solution themselves before they write the story.

I noticed that the anime messed up a small detail that becomes important later on.
In the manga, the male lead signals with his right hand which is how Yumeko figures out that he is right-handed and uses that information to figure out a trick later

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So....I certainly hope that everyone in a 'position of power', be it the student council or whomever....isn't just cheating.

That'd be kind of a boring setup, after a while, even if the schaudenfraude would be pretty good.

1st two eps were pretty darn great, tho. The MC is glorious.

Zaru

So....I certainly hope that everyone in a 'position of power', be it the student council or whomever....isn't just cheating.

That'd be kind of a boring setup, after a while, even if the schaudenfraude would be pretty good.

1st two eps were pretty darn great, tho. The MC is glorious.
Let's just say the important people rival Yumeko in craziness. It's not all about catching cheaters.

Cornbread78

Oh man, they didn't finish the gamble in one episode. Hopefully, rapest goes down hard in the next episode since he really is a spobeless douce.

Also, the Student Coucil members are all fucking crazy...

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Kaiji and Akagi which were about gambling but the plot of this seems a little too "teen orientated" for me to enjoy.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh man, they didn't finish the gamble in one episode. Hopefully, rapest goes down hard in the next episode since he really is a spobeless douce.

Also, the Student Coucil members are all fucking crazy...

Aside from the male mc, everyone in this show is batshit.

Loona

Based on the described setting I expected more parallels between business and gambling, with bets being something of a shorthand for investment decisions and banter reflecting negotiation tactics - but the gimmick games, crazy faces and unlikely guesses kinda detract from all that in a big way...

Siegcram

I ended up marathoning the entire manga over two days in preparation for this show and it was one of the best choices I ever made.

Best way to describe this series is "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure if every fight was D'arby the Gambler/D'arby the Gamer".
Well I'm sold.

Top Bottom