• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Game/PCB Collecting: A Thread for Gamers With More Money Than Sense

Tizoc

Thanks for this op
Ive always pondered wanting to get some cps games like punisher and thisll help clearing up the methods to run such boards

My local arcades are pretty bunk, unfortunately. bunch of western junk and half-working machines. There is a nice SNK cab, though, with multiple games.

I'll stick to my console ports for collecting, though, PCBs are too fucking expensive.

Vespa

Amazing OP! I one day hope to own a CPS 2 and 3 but I'm not yet ready to go down this rabbit hole.

notworksafe

Nice thread. I've got a bit of a collection myself and can agree with the "more money than sense" bits totally. At the moment I've only got a Tekken Tag, MVS, and a Naomi cab working but I've picked up a couple CPS2 carts and considering how to play them.

I don't really have room for another cabinet so it'll have to be a smaller setup. It's either going to be:

undamned's UD-CPS2 kit whenever they are ready to buy. He's supposedly to be demoing it at EVO and then opening up orders after that so I'm excited for that.

Or I'll just get a Windy Supergun. Been looking around for a while and for the price this seems to be the best one out there, and it's only $300.

suplex

Nice thread!

I currently have a Capcom Impress running Third Strike, and also have a few CPS2 games I can throw in there.

I used to be way into the arcade pcb scene especially CPS2/3/MVS, but unfortunately as time passed I haven't been able to keep up with it. Did anyone ever figure out a way around the battery issue on CPS3 similar to what was done on CPS2?

And damn, I totally forgot about Osman!

Heero5

Nice OP! Some great games up there, love some Esp Ra.De. Also reminds me I have to try C&D at some point.

No Naomi mention?

Also, J. J. Squwakers is legit. Glad I'm not the only person who knows about that game.

I'd like to throw my two cents in on the CPS-2 topic: Phoenix ROMs and Anti-Suicide boards. These both exist because Capcom decided to put the encryption key for the boards tied to a battery that, for most boards by now, has died. Prior to the creation of the Phoenix ROMs and other newer technology, old boards would simply be discarded by operators or sent back to Capcom to be replaced. Should you encounter a really cheap CPS-2 board that is "dead" I'd recommend the following:
- Look inside the B-Board to see if there is any battery acid corrosion on the main board. If there is, don't even bother trying to mess with it.
- Check to see if any other damage has been done to the board or any part of the JAMMA connector.
- Look online to see how to "de-suicide" your board. There are a number of ways, including a newer way that actually takes it back to factory (and still require a battery.)

Something to note about Phoenix ROMs: There are people who claim that they make the game run slower, but there has only been proof of CPS-2 A boards running at less than sufficient voltage to cause this. There are a number of tools out there to help you troubleshoot your Capcom boards and you'll be back to running in no time.

Nice thread!

I currently have a Capcom Impress running Third Strike, and also have a few CPS2 games I can throw in there.

I used to be way into the arcade pcb scene especially CPS2/3/MVS, but unfortunately as time passed I haven't been able to keep up with it. Did anyone ever figure out a way around the battery issue on CPS3 similar to what was done on CPS2?

Yes. There are now CPS-3 fixes similar to what has been done with CPS-2. Darksoft re-engineered the ROMs to work without the security cart. Unless you have a 3rd Strike setup, though, good luck finding the RAM for it.

Peltz

Nice thread!

Check out this link:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/114980/cps-iii-suicide-battery-replacement-thread

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No Naomi mention?

Heh, I actually had it in there, but had to take it out, since I was hitting the max. character limit for a post. There's not THAT much on there that wasn't ported to the Dreamcast, though. The most notable thing, for me, at least, was Virtua Fighter 4 on the Naomi 2... but yeah.

I regret recently not buying a ninja gaiden jamma board for $60.

Interestingly enough its a beat em up and plays nothing like the nes games.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that an actual cab is going to be a bit of a pain in the ass if you play the occasional shmup. Vertical-scrolling shmups are generally played on 4:3 monitors that are rotated vertically... so if you have an arcade monitor that's seated normally for fighting games and the like, shmups will show up sideways. Not ideal. You'll have to flip the monitor in order to get it to display properly, and chances are that you really, really don't want to do that. So the real ideal is to get two cabinets and... well, see what a slippery slope this can become?

Or be like me and buy an Egret II lol

There was once a point in my life where I had the following:

Sega Blast City
Jaleco Pony Mk. IV
"Big Red" American Neo Geo 2 slot

CPS II
DarkStalkers
Vampire Savior
SF II
Marvel Vs Capcom

Atomiswave
KOF Neowave

Naomi
Capcom Vs SNK

Hyper Neo Geo 64
Buriki One
Samurai Spirits 2
Fatal Fury

1001 Mile Rally (love this game, wish I still had it)
Violent Storm

I also have about 25 MVS carts which I still have for my Omega. I've got a spare MSV 1 slot just in case I run into a candy cab one day (not likely)

I felt bad holding onto all those fighting games without many people to play them with. I also had to pay skyrocketing Seattle rent! *single tear falls*

bjork

That version of Shadow Dancer got a Master System port in Europe.

So get the arcade one, trust me on this.

shaowebb

I'd love to own a viewlix someday. Such a sexy cabinet. For now I'm deep into two custom builds for bartop systems. Thinking hard about doin one with an 80s synthwave art look since it's a retrocade. I'm currently debating buying led tape and led tmolding to slide it onto the cabinet for the trim. This way i can have it neon lightup to the audio and music with a controller hooked to the audio jack and leds.

The other I'm at a loss for. It's mainly for fighting games.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I have an Astro City rigged to play Virtua Fighter 2 and 3, I cannot recommend anyone get into this, JUST EMULATE IT AND SAVE YOUR SANITY

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Came in here to see if you mention Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. And goddamn it man you done did.

You're a good man.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best beat-em-up of all time, with The Punisher in second. Nothing comes close to those two -- even Capcom's great CPS-2 stuff.

BNGames

You could say im addicted.................

DbwnfkWl.jpg

qB22pfMl.jpg

M5o5MJKl.jpg

1iKiIUwl.jpg

b3FER4Rl.jpg

XrerRJEl.jpg

whU4wDWl.jpg

s1VF3Bll.jpg

bYq6iR3l.jpg

i5G6GWPl.jpg

Kxa4ezEl.jpg

IEYAfA4l.jpg

Here is a playlist of a ton of videos ive done on my machines. I collect mostly only early to late 90's games.

Arcade Candy Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWGCL9MQTnZXkKPuVDOJhfkbsav47uOIr

LaserHawk

Awesome thread, thanks for starting this.

I have a question: I own a CPS3 game that is due to have its suicide battery changed. The cartridge is unmodified. Does anybody know where I should be looking to have this procedure taken care of?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There are three games I've always wanted to own in their original cabinets, 720 Degrees, Robotron 2084 and San Francisco Rush/Rush The Rock.

I did almost buy an original Joust 2 machine but was a couple of days late when they shut their doors forever.

wondermega

Great thread and fun/informative reading. Would love to find an *accessible* podcast where they regularly wax nerdy about such things...

Sho Nuff

Banned
Is there good VF2 and VF3 emulation? I've got both boards too =)

I think the Nebula emulator does a pretty good job of VF2. Almost certain the Xbox 360 (PS3 as well?) VF2s are good too.

VF3 is.....okay. Supermodel plays it, but not great.

That being said, it took about a year for me to get VF3 running. VF2 can go straight to JAMMA medium res with a harness and if you get lucky with your PSU. VF3 on the other hand requires two power inputs. My buddy Airthrow built this fucking sick PSU / voltage regulator specifically made for VF3 that runs it beautifully, but holy shit what a pain in the ass.

All of the Lockheed-Martin designed Sega stuff are wiring nightmares. "Non-standard" doesn't begin to describe it.

I think the Nebula emulator does a pretty good job of VF2. Almost certain the Xbox 360 (PS3 as well?) VF2s are good too.

VF3 is.....okay. Supermodel plays it, but not great.

That being said, it took about a year for me to get VF3 running. VF2 can go straight to JAMMA medium res with a harness and if you get lucky with your PSU. VF3 on the other hand requires two power inputs. My buddy Airthrow built this fucking sick PSU / voltage regulator specifically made for VF3 that runs it beautifully, but holy shit what a pain in the ass.

All of the Lockheed-Martin designed Sega stuff are wiring nightmares. "Non-standard" doesn't begin to describe it.

I guess I got lucky in the fact that my VF2 worked just fine in my cabinet, and when I got my VF3 board, it had everything it needed ready to go to plug into any JAMMA cabinet so I didn't have to really worry about the logistics. My Capcom Impress cabinet was perfect for it so I'm glad I own both, although I haven't plugged either in for awhile just cuz they're friggin huge and I'm lazy.

I used to collect pcbs back in the late 90s

I had:

R type
R type 2
Thundercross
Thruxton
Raiden 2
Double dragon 2
Final fight
Shinobi
Golden axe
Midnight resistance
Sly spy

There was always something special about owning the actual pcb esp back in the 90s

I had a dream about buying cabinets for each pcb but with crts becoming less and available, and most likely dissappearing in the near future entirely I sold my collection, got about a grand for it though

Shadoron

Awesome thread, thanks for starting this.

I have a question: I own a CPS3 game that is due to have its suicide battery changed. The cartridge is unmodified. Does anybody know where I should be looking to have this procedure taken care of?

There's probably a few options available, but I can recommend Mitsurugi-w from over at arcade-projects.com. He's the guy doing the bios updates for the Darksoft CPS3 multi carts. Definitely knows what he's doing. I'm about to send in a dead NG cart to be multi'd, and he can do battery swaps as well.

On a related note, Darksoft has both 128mb and 64mb SIMMs in stock, for CPS3 systems. If anyone needs them to fill out their CPS3 PCBs.

D.Lo

I keep teetering on the edge of this rabbit hole...

And I am basically out of consoles to buy...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got a nice tekken tag pcb here.
It's basically a ps1 without the discdrive and some sort of flash memory.

adf5aee6.jpg

Sony chips and all pretty dope

1280px-Sony_Playstation_1_SCPH-7002b_motherboard_top.jpg

Motherboard ps1

I gutted this namco arcade cab and connected a pc inside of it loaded up with mame.

notworksafe

Some quick pics of my setup. Taken with an older phone so they are a bit dated. And yes, I have since fixed the bowing in the screen of the Naomi. Well, I had someone else fix it cause I'm too scared to futz with the monitor lol.

Top Bottom