• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - "Survive" Gameplay Trailer

tesqui

There still only really showing stealth stuff which was the worst way to play the first game. I really hope that isn't the main focus of this one. I wanna see an enemies head explode from a crit shot dammit!

dan2026

There still only really showing stealth stuff which was the worst way to play the first game. I really hope that isn't the main focus of this one.
I would argue that there were maybe two areas at best where stealth was even possible in the first game.
It basically forced you to go guns blazing at every opportunity.
I hope it's better than the first too, but because it'd be dope for it to manage to top one of the best games of the gen B)
It's so odd to me how polarizing that 1st game is.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a bad game, but to hear people calling it the best ever, floors me somewhat.

Looks great and it seems to have a bigger budget this time. This already looks faster, bigger with better looking graphics and more open areas. I really hope it turns out to be much better than the first..Started playing but never completed it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a bad game, but to hear people calling it the best ever, floors me somewhat.

I can see why it would put people off, but the excellent mechanics, patented Mikami encounter design, sheer variety, pacing, and amazing art direction were more than enough to overcome a bit of that cross gen Id tech jank.

I would argue that there were maybe two areas at best where stealth was even possible in the first game.

you obviously didn't play it on a higher difficulty then.

Anung

Un Rama
Looking really damn good. This and Wolfie in the same month is just insane.

Monster designs are excellent and the mind bending horror of the first was the best bit so I'm glad this looks suitably batshit.

That the same Seb VO from the original? Anson Mount or something?

bbd23

the first half of that game is pretty awesome....then it all went to shit with the city stuff.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
gyETXmu.gif

The tension on the neck there......Pretty sure i've never seen a Japanese dev put in that kind of attention to detail. What a massive improvement from the first game visually. Just have the game's world have some sort of logical coherency instead of blindly switching.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The action city stuff was only 2 chapters out of 15, and it goes back to being slower and more horror inflected after that.

It's not just the city parts that were the problem, even though Ch 11 went on for what seemed like forever. The final chapter of the game had you refight the bosses, survive an arena battle against waves of enemies, followed by a 1HK forced stealth section before finally ending with a turret section as the final boss.

The game took a serious hit in quality from Ch 11 on wards.

luulubuu

Well, something weird happened watching the trailer;

I was looking to the screen, enjoying my time and analyzing the frames (noticed some clipping even) when I suddenly got a notification.

I look at it and looks like I preordered the game... STEM is getting out of control!

Looks so good, I can't wait!

There still only really showing stealth stuff which was the worst way to play the first game. I really hope that isn't the main focus of this one. I wanna see an enemies head explode from a crit shot dammit!
Yeah. I hope they go full action with this and not stealth. The DLC for Evil Within was terrible because it was almost all stealth.

Gbraga

That was pretty cool. I was expecting a bit less story segments from such a short "gameplay trailer" though. I don't really want to see any more of the story until I play the game, but I kinda want to see how the hub world thing will work.

Super excited for this!

It's not just the city parts that were the problem, even though Ch 11 went on for what seemed like forever. The final chapter of the game had you refight the bosses, survive an arena battle against waves of enemies, followed by a 1HK forced stealth section before finally ending with a turret section as the final boss.

The game took a serious hit in quality from Ch 11 on wards.

Eh the final chapter was a final gauntlet of all the encounter systems, and was mostly pretty good, especially that
double keeper
boss fight. Chapter 13 and 14 were awesome too and perfectly in line with the chapter 1-10 stuff. The final stretch isn't as good as pre chapter 11, but it's still good imo.

Even chapter 11 has some sweet stuff in it like the mannequin factory, and I found the complaints against the gun wielding enemies kinda overblown. Only chapter 12 is really one that I think is mostly weak.

DirtyLarry

Damn. That is what I am talking about. Already have it preordered digitally since I had a lot of PSN Credit. Cannot wait.

Raptor

Agreed.

No head explode = no sale.

Astral

Can't watch the trailer now but I really hope some parts of the game are as dark as the Kidman DLC. I really enjoyed that DLC.

Truant

I hope the technical issues are sorted out this time. The original still has drops to 40fps on a 1070 / i7 6700K.

aravuus

Ohhh yeah, definitely looking forward to this. I really should replay the first one soon, and play the DLC content too.

Actually fuck it, I'll download it right now!

Looking pretty good. I enjoyed most of the first game (up until it became just a third-person shooter), so hopefully they strike a better balance with this one.

Hopefully performance is better this time around as well. Frame rate seemed pretty solid in the trailer, but it was pretty choppy around the 0:54 mark.

nkarafo

I hope it's better than the first too, but because it'd be dope for it to manage to top one of the best games of the gen B)
I hope it's a better optimized port on PC because the original might as well be one of the worst ports ever (it's a cross-gen title and can't run at stutter-free 60fps on a 980/1060 card @ 1080p).

Thought the story was really compelling but EW1's Chapter 9 gameplay by Peter Hines made it readily apparent of what a game design shit-show it all was. Mikami's old and struggling to break out of his RE4 limbo.

He was terrible at the game tho. That's like using the polygon video of DOOM to try and sell it.

But shooting at it I mean, not to much stealth and a little more shooting.

We saw some gunplay in the previous gameplay video and it looks pretty tight, a lot more fluid than the last game. And another video showed off some fun new headshot effects for some of the new standard enemies causing those white tentacles to come spilling out like you saw in this trailer.

Linkura

MC kind of reminds me of Bruce Campbell in some shots in that trailer. Of course, in some shots, he doesn't look like him at all, so I might just be crazy.

Some of those enemy designs are Silent Hill-esque. They look really good.

Didn't enjoy TEW outside of the first few chapters when it started to go balls-out action, but I'm keeping this on my radar anyway.

Top Bottom