• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: In Interview, Trump Expresses Anger at Sessions and Comey, and Warns Mueller

Tovarisc

President Trump said on Wednesday that he never would have appointed Attorney General Jeff Sessions had he known Mr. Sessions would recuse himself from overseeing the Russia investigation that has dogged his presidency, calling the decision “very unfair to the president.”

In a remarkable public break with one of his earliest political supporters, Mr. Trump complained that Mr. Sessions’s decision ultimately led to the appointment of a special counsel that should not have happened. “Sessions should have never recused himself and if he was going to recuse himself he should have told me before he took the job and I would have picked somebody else,” Mr. Trump said.

In a wide-ranging interview with The New York Times, the president also accused James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director he fired in May, of trying to leverage a dossier of compromising material to keep his job. Mr. Trump criticized both the acting F.B.I. director who has been filling in since Mr. Comey’s dismissal and the deputy attorney general who recommended it. And he took on Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel now leading the investigation into Russian meddling in last year’s election.

Mr. Trump said Mr. Mueller was running an office rife with conflicts of interest and warned that investigators would cross a red line if they delve into Trump family finances unrelated to Russia. Mr. Trump never said he would order the Justice Department to fire Mr. Mueller, nor would he outline circumstances under which he might do so. But he left open the possibility as he expressed deep grievance over an investigation that has taken a political toll in the six months since he took office.
Describing a newly disclosed informal conversation he had with President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia during a dinner of world leaders in Germany earlier this month, Mr. Trump said they talked for about 15 minutes, mostly about “pleasantries.” But Mr. Trump did say that they talked “about adoptions.” Mr. Putin banned American adoptions of Russian children in 2012 after the United States enacted sanctions on Russians accused of human rights abuses, an issue that remains a sore point in relations with Moscow.

Mr. Trump acknowledged that it was “interesting” that adoptions came up since his son, Donald Trump Jr., said that was the topic of a meeting he had with several Russians with ties to the Kremlin during last year’s campaign. Even though emails show that the session had been set up to pass along incriminating information about Hillary Clinton, the president said he did not need such material from Russia about Mrs. Clinton last year because he already had more than enough.
But Mr. Trump left little doubt during the interview that the Russia investigation remained a sore point. His pique at Mr. Sessions, in particular, seemed fresh even months after the attorney general’s recusal. Mr. Sessions was the first senator to endorse Mr. Trump’s candidacy and was rewarded with a key Cabinet slot, but has been more distant from the president lately.

“Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the president,” he added. “How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, ‘Thanks, Jeff, but I’m not going to take you.’ It’s extremely unfair — and that’s a mild word — to the president.”

Mr. Trump also faulted Mr. Sessions for his testimony during Senate confirmation hearings when Mr. Sessions said he had not met with any Russians even though he had met at least twice with Ambassador Sergey I. Kislyak. “Jeff Sessions gave some bad answers,” the president said. “He gave some answers that were simple questions and should have been simple answers, but they weren’t.”
In the interview, Mr. Trump said he believes Mr. Comey told him about the dossier to implicitly make clear he had something to hold over the president. “In my opinion, he shared it so that I would think he had it out there,” Mr. Trump said. As leverage? “Yeah, I think so,’’ Mr. Trump said. “In retrospect.”

The president dismissed the assertions in the dossier: “When he brought it to me, I said this is really, made-up junk. I didn’t think about any of it. I just thought about man, this is such a phony deal.”
Mr. Trump refuted Mr. Comey’s claim that in a one-on-one meeting in the Oval Office on Feb. 14, the president asked him to end the investigation into his former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn. Mr. Comey testified before Congress that Mr. Trump kicked the vice president, attorney general and several other senior administration officials out of the room before having the discussion with Mr. Comey.

“I don’t remember even talking to him about any of this stuff,” Mr. Trump said. “He said I asked people to go. Look, you look at his testimony. His testimony is loaded up with lies, O.K.?”

Mr. Trump was also critical of Mr. Mueller, a longtime former F.B.I. director, reprising some of his past complaints that lawyers in his office contributed money to Mrs. Clinton’s campaign. He noted that he actually interviewed Mr. Mueller to replace Mr. Comey just before his appointment as special counsel.

“He was up here and he wanted the job,” Mr. Trump said. After he was named special counsel, “I said, ‘What the hell is this all about?’ Talk about conflicts. But he was interviewing for the job. There were many other conflicts that I haven’t said, but I will at some point.”

Asked if Mr. Mueller’s investigation would cross a red line if it expands to look at his family’s finances beyond any relationship to Russia, Mr. Trump said, “I would say yes.” He would not say what he would do about it. “I think that’s a violation. Look, this is about Russia.”
He complained that Mr. Rosenstein had in effect been on both sides when it came to Mr. Comey. The deputy attorney general recommended Mr. Comey be fired but then appointed Mr. Mueller, who may be investigating whether the dismissal was an obstruction of justice. “Well, that’s a conflict of interest,” Mr. Trump said. “Do you know how many conflicts of interests there are?”

As for Andrew G. McCabe, the acting F.B.I. director, the president suggested that he too had a conflict. Mr. McCabe’s wife, Jill McCabe, received nearly $500,000 in 2015 during a losing campaign for the Virginia state Senate from a political action committee affiliated with Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a close friend of Hillary and Bill Clinton.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-sessions-russia.html

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This incredibly stupid man-child has to go. America, grab him by the wig and toss his ass fucking OUT.

mclem

“Sessions should have never recused himself and if he was going to recuse himself he should have told me before he took the job and I would have picked somebody else,” Mr. Trump said.

That... looks pretty damning to me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Mr. Trump said Mr. Mueller was running an office rife with conflicts of interest and warned that investigators would cross a red line if they delve into Trump family finances unrelated to Russia. Mr. Trump never said he would order the Justice Department to fire Mr. Mueller, nor would he outline circumstances under which he might do so.

This dumb motherfucker. There's a reason you're sucking Russia teet...$$$

RPGCrazied

He is trolling.

15 minutes, when it was an hour.

Talked about adoptions when that was suppose to be the topic at the secret meeting his son had with Russians, when it was about getting dirt on Hillary.

Former Attorney General Jefferson Beauregard Confederacy Sessions III, speaking in an exclusive interview to Breitbart News, says he "does not recall" being unceremoniously tossed out on his ass.

Koomaster

Is 'adoptions' code-word for something else? o___O
This is the second Russian based meeting we know of where a Trump was involved that talked about this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit at the public slamming of Sessions.

Is 'adoptions' code-word for something else? o___O
This is the second Russian based meeting we know of where a Trump was involved that talked about this.
Yes. The Magnitsky act. Increasingly looking like the main motive behind Russia’s aggressive interference. The fact they talked about it is as close as we’ll get to trump saying “Putin was cashing his checks”

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The president dismissed the assertions in the dossier: “When he brought it to me, I said this is really, made-up junk. I didn’t think about any of it. I just thought about man, this is such a phony deal.”

PEPE TAPE IS REAL, I MEAN PEEPEE

pulsemyne

He really has now gone so far off the deep end it's crazy. I'm sure Sessions is very pleased at this interview where he is effectively being thrown under the bus by Trump.

Shauni

Warns Mueller? Fire Mueller Trump, I dare you. It will END your presidency. Full stop. You'll be toast.

Lol, nah bro. I mean, I wish it was so, but it wouldn't be. I'm surprised he's not made the move to do it by now. You might as well get ready, because it's coming at some point down the road.

Soroc

Holy shit at the public slamming of Sessions.

Sessions should just come out and flip on him now. What the fuck is the point of loyalty to this president when he literally is hanging you out to dry and publicly acknowledging he doesn't want your *integrity

*even if Sessions only has .001% of it.

“Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the president,” he added. “How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, ‘Thanks, Jeff, but I’m not going to take you.’ It’s extremely unfair — and that’s a mild word — to the president.”
Its almost like Trump thinks the job of the Attorney General is to personally protect the President from any legal entanglements or investigations.

I don't see that here:

The mission of the Office of the Attorney General is to supervise and direct the administration and operation of the Department of Justice, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Bureau of Prisons, Office of Justice Programs, and the U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals Service, which are all within the Department of Justice.

The principal duties of the Attorney General are to:

• Represent the United States in legal matters.
  • Supervise and direct the administration and operation of the offices, boards, divisions, and bureaus that comprise the Department.
  • Furnish advice and opinions, formal and informal, on legal matters to the President and the Cabinet and to the heads of the executive departments and agencies of the government, as provided by law.
  • Make recommendations to the President concerning appointments to federal judicial positions and to positions within the Department, including U.S. Attorneys and U.S. Marshals.
  • Represent or supervise the representation of the United States Government in the Supreme Court of the United States and all other courts, foreign and domestic, in which the United States is a party or has an interest as may be deemed appropriate.
  • Perform or supervise the performance of other duties required by statute or Executive Order.

Malreyn

Mueller will need to keep his ship in order and his case air-tight if he does find anything regarding Trump and financial ties to Russia or anything until the final day its ready for release....that way if he does get "fired" by Trump it'll be too late

Has a President ever publicly shamed their current sitting Attorney General like that? He should just fire him if he dislikes him so much.

snekcomic1_edited-1-2-640x640.jpg

Also: "Go lie in front of that bus, Jeff Sessions."

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Since when is having some connection with a different political party a "conflict of interest"? By Trump's definition, all decision-makers in this investigation should be, should always have been, and should only have relationships with Republicans.

Russia hates the magnitsky act because it's about money and the oligarchs make their money off Russia but party overseas in the west / but that's only one of the dogs they have in this hunt.

It's ludicrous to imagine now they have trump under their fhumb they just want, or ever wanted, one thing.

Zolo

Since when is having some connection with a different political party a "conflict of interest"? By Trump's definition, all decision-makers in this investigation should be, should always have been, and should only have relationships with Republicans.

Trump's definition of conflicts of interests is people having interests that aren't his.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is he talking about himself in the third person.

Does he not understand that he's under investigation?

Does he not understand that saying these things can easily aid in the criminal investigation that is ongoing on his attempt to obstruct justice?

That's it, I'm fucking calling it. Dude has early(at best) onset dementia or alzheimer's. Nothing else explains why he would be so fucking stupid to say this shit.

Remember, they can't be of Mexican heritage either because Trump wants to build a wall.

God, some of you are straight up delusional. Trump's not getting impeached. Not now, not ever.

If (when) Democrats take back the House, he certainly will be impeached.

There may not be enough Senate support to convict him and remove him from office. But he will be impeached.

Top Bottom