• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Employees at a tech company can get RFID chip implants.

KSweeley

Would anyone here on GAF would be willing to have their employer implant an RFID chip into them?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b0e79ec19abdff?w4z&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

July 24, 2017

A Wisconsin-based technology company, Three Square Market, announced on Thursday that it would be offering its employees the chance to be microchipped. Volunteers can have RFID chips implanted into their hands that can then be used to access multiple features throughout the office building.

“We foresee the use of RFID technology to drive everything from making purchases in our office break room market, opening doors, use of copy machines, logging into our office computers, unlocking phones, sharing business cards, storing medical/health information, and used as payment at other RFID terminals,” CEO Todd Westby said in the company’s press release.

Basically, this is a credit card and ID badge inside your hand.

The chip, roughly the size of a rice grain, uses the same near-field communication technology found in programs such as Apple Pay. Three Square Market, which creates vending machines and self-checkout technology for office break rooms and micro-markets, sees these body chips as the next advancement in its industry.

“We see this as another payment and identification option that not only can be used in our markets but our other self-checkout/self-service applications that we are now deploying which include convenience stores and fitness centers,” Chief Operating Officer Patrick McMullan said in the press release.

Three Square Market will begin the program on Aug. 1 and anticipates having about 50 volunteers. The company did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

Is this the company?

1303416_1.jpg

wwm0nkey

If I could just have like a general chip that had everything I would need on it and not have it be job specific, I'd do it probably lol. This? Nah.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That was the plotline of the circle with Hanks and Emma Watson.

You know by any sensible person that movie would be considered ridiculous stupid trash but the more the months pass by the more i feel like they might have been prophets of how much people yearn to be dumb sheep.

Dynomutt

Micro-management to the fullest. This is a very slippery slope. Like soap and oil mixed slippery with a steep decline.

We're going straight from badges to implants? Surely there's a middle ground to find, like ground sensors and RFID chips we can put under our shoe soles or something.

Acorn

You know by any sensible person that movie would be considered ridiculous stupid trash but the more the months pass by the more i feel like they might have been prophets of how much people yearn to be dumb sheep.
Oh the movie is terrible which is a shame because they had a nice dystopia bubbling there for awhile.

I'd really like to see apple/google standardize a way to have this stuff in phones/wearables in a way that the mass market will trust, but lol at thinking RFID implants are the future

Acyl

Next, a "secret" hidden feature is now the company can track your location as a safety feature outside of the office!

Oh and these implants are now required.

NOOOOOOO

First it's voluntary. You get all of these benefits if you just get the chip. It's really helpful!

*stock video of someone waving their hand in front of a vending machine and getting coffee made*

Then it's mandatory for new hires.

*Stock video of someone waving their hand in front of the bathroom sign to open the bathroom door, with an IT guy getting a readout of how long they've been in there*

And then the benefits go away.

*stock video of someone waving their hand in front of a vending machine and getting coffee, deducted from their Productivity Points, or a simple charge of $3 per cup*

Buckle

I'd do it.

Planning to cut off my arm and get some sweet cyberware if I live long enough to see that, this is nothing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm all for the future of having smart rings or bracelets, not sub-dermal implants.

Just give me a high tech ring to login, pay, etc everything with an encrypted unique ID that works with everything and I'll be happy. Don't make me inject myself with shit however benign it may be.

Slight modification: due to an increased infection risk at the original insertion site, the implant will now instead be in the left buttock.

The chip still works as advertised, but when it fails to read you may need to frustratedly grind your ass on the companion device in question until it takes.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Pretty much like what happens in The Circle
note; dont watch it its crap

KarmaCow

Unless I'm missing something here, RFID chips have extremely limited range, so it's not like anyone could use this to track a person outside of areas that specifically gated by sensors to pick up the short range signal. I still wouldn't do it but that's more because I don't see the slight increase in convenience of not pulling out a card worth shoving something in my hand that could cause irritation or an infection.

Top Bottom