• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hoshigami DS - PS1 SRPG remake

Llyranor

Also by way of The Magic Box, Aksys has announced that it will bring a remake of PlayStation strategy RPG Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth to Nintendo DS.

The remake, appropriately titled Hoshigami Remix: Ruining Blue Earth, adds features not found in the original. The title will be released in Japan on May 31. Atlus published the original PlayStation title in North America back in August 2001 but has not said whether it will be doing the same for the DS remake.
http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2626

I remember the trailer for this game being pretty cool (the music, particularly). The reviews, however, were mostly negative, from memory. Did anyone actually play the original game on PS1?

duckroll

Oh of the most unbalanced and poorly designed strategy rpgs I've ever played. Good to see that Atlus has washed their hands off this title. Aksys continues to prove their worthlessness. :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
ivysaur12 said:
Wasn't this game supposed to extremely difficult?

Probably one of the worst SRPGs ever to come out on the PSOne. It's only really loved by extreme SRPG fanboys who latch on to anything in the genre.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ManaByte said:
Probably one of the worst SRPGs ever to come out on the PSOne. It's only really loved by extreme SRPG fanboys who latch on to anything in the genre.

I guess they are the one ones who would buy it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I bought it for $5 at TRU and I don't even think its opened. Hooray.
Why does shit like this get remade when there is so much cool shit.
Think of the cool shit!

"Probably one of the worst SRPGs ever to come out on the PSOne. It's only really loved by extreme SRPG fanboys who latch on to anything in the genre."

Realize who posted this, then come to your conclusions accordingly.

Zilch

Banned
Stella Deus was pretty good. Never got around to playing Hoshigami, but it did have cool FFT-like graphics.

madhtr

It should be noted that Magicbox is making a mighty bold statement since the rumor started because Gamefly listed it. They also listed new Guilty Gear games for the PS2 and Wii.... oh and the Wii one said Aksys as well, but I see suddenly Sega has announced the game according to Magicbox.

Anyway, not saying it won't happen, just saying that I don't think it's announced now.

Joe Molotov

I didn't even waste my time on this game back in the 32-bit era when I used to play almost every crap RPG that was released, including Quest 64.

birdchili

hoshigami is horrible.

unfairly difficult without levelling in generic tower maps where you can only save every five levels.

enemy ai routinely shoots its own guys in the back with archers.

you combine items for spell gem improvements, but this can destroy your spell completely.

boring class system.

some of the story maps are really nifty, but you have to do so much boring stuff to gain the strength/spells to get through the good maps, and enemy ai is so deeply thick...

it might be a fixable game though - some balancing, and remove the stupid stuff from the otherwise intesting spell system... might.

i couldn't get into the original at all.

RevenantKioku said:
Think of the cool shit!

Yeah, there's quite a few other SRPGs to be picked up before this. :\ Maybe Vandal Hearts DS for realsies?

Hoshigami is a good title -- it has problems, but I almost tend to think of the game as experimental in design. Much like the original Baten Kaitos.

Part of the problem people had with the game was that hired hands were "useless" - they were in a sense - in that as soon as they were underleved you dumped them and hired new mercenaries. Once that is understood about half of the "difficulty" is gone. The other secret relied on absolutely relying on Coinfeigm and abusing the hell out of engravings; the entire plot only revolves around it!

I have my doubts about the Magic Box article. Basically they just rewrote what Gamespot's article said the other day about it showing up on Gamefly (which in fact was spotted first by a guy on the Atlus message boards)

Why would Aksys mention anything about the Japanese version of it? They are a US localization company (I think they have published one game) and AFAIK, have nothing to do with it in Japan.

It still might exist, I doubt Gamefly just made it up, but I don't think the Magic Box article can be considered confirmation.

madhtr said:
It should be noted that Magicbox is making a mighty bold statement since the rumor started because Gamefly listed it. They also listed new Guilty Gear games for the PS2 and Wii.... oh and the Wii one said Aksys as well, but I see suddenly Sega has announced the game according to Magicbox.

Anyway, not saying it won't happen, just saying that I don't think it's announced now.

because Gamefly listed it?

haaaa....

birdchili

Dragona Akehi said:
The other secret relied on absolutely relying on Coinfeigm and abusing the hell out of engravings; the entire plot only revolves around it!

you had to spend a l . o . n . g time in really boring fights, on bad maps, against stupid enemies to level up coins. the coin system itself was almost good though.

ethelred

Hoshigami remade for the DS? Now that's an odd choice for a game to remake. Can't say this is exactly the best news, as I never considered the original to be particularly good... shame, considering the pedigree behind it.

Pellham

Banned
The only complaints I ever see about Hoshigami are simply about its difficulty. And to those people I say, well sucks to be you if you can't handle that kind of game. Hoshigami isn't even the hardest SRPG ever made, Enterbrain's Berwick Saga is a lot harder (and also one of the most well designed games in the genre).

It's pretty hilarious to see people saying "the only people who will appreciate Hoshigami are SRPG fans". Well what the hell do you expect, it's an SRPG after all! You can't just be a typical anime/final fantasy lover to appreciate games like this. SRPG fans should appreciate this game because it is hard. After all, what's the fun in playing an easy game? All of the best games in the genre are due to their difficulty (the lone exception being FFT). There is a far greater sense of accomplishment in beating a game that tortures you than in beating a game that's a cakewalk (which describes the shittiest games in the genre, like the Vandal Hearts series).

Anyway this is great news. It's even more interesting due to the fact that the original game never came out in Japan.

RevenantKioku said:
Think of the cool shit!

You can always put it up on ebay or give it to me :) .

Meanwhile, Konami's Vandal Hearts game for DS still sits on the shelf. >:O

Wasn't that game canceled? What ever happen to Monster Rancher DS?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This is great news. Hoshigami was a great, great SRPG.

Well, more accurately, Hoshigami's disc on the PS1 had a great game hidden within it. Some funky design decisions made the experience tough to enjoy, but fundamentally it was (or could have been) a classic.

It's a great candidate for a remake, because of this. Just a few tweaks and it's a classic.

Of all games to be remade, why does this trash of a game have to receive such treatment?

I didn't like the game. But that is obvious, no doubt.

MoxManiac

Hoshigami was pretty good; I imagine a lot of people got frustrated since it had a pretty steep learning curve. It doesn't deserve the hate it gets, though; it was pretty good once you figured it out, warts and all.

jarrod

Banned
Hoshigami was great, kicked the shit outta every PS1 SRPG that didn't have "Tactics" somewhere in the title.

MrDaravon

Hoshigami wasn't just hard; it had ****ed up gameplay choices which made the game hard. Some SRPG fanatics get off by being elite about it and claiming it's a great game and that most people aren't "hardcore" enough to get it. No, it sucks. It's artificial difficulty created by a broken game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm going to pick this up.
<Are you sure you want to pick this up?>
Uh, yeah. I'd like to pay for it now.
<Are you sure you want to pay for it now?>
Uh, yeah. I'd like to use debit.
<Are you sure you want to use debit?>
Uh, yeah. Savings account.
<Are you sure you mean savings account?>
Uh, yeah. PIN 1...
<Are you sure the first number of your PIN is 1?>
Uh, yeah. ...2...
<Are you sure the first number of your PIN is 2?>

... Yeah, I know you can turn that off. Doesn't make it any less stupid.

jarrod said:
Hoshigami was great, kicked the shit outta every PS1 SRPG that didn't have "Tactics" somewhere in the title.

Vandal Hearts and Tactics Ogre are both better titles on the overall.

FoxSpirit

Well, the ramake will feature 3 difficulty levels and a much more accessible interface... which were about THE major complaints about the original.

Can't wait though the graphics look ver meh in the first screenshots. Texture resolution cries... ;_;

Top Bottom