• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JAY Z - "Moonlight" video (Friends spoof)

JAY Z - Moonlight

JAY Z - Moonlight (With Outtakes)

"Moonlight," taken from his album 4:44, remakes the sitcom with black actors — Joey, Chandler, and Ross are played by Lil Rel Howery, Lakeith Stanfield and Jerrod Carmichael. Issa Rae is Rachel. Tiffany Haddish plays Phoebe, and Tessa Thompson plays Monica. Hannibal Buress plays himself.

The video has been analyzed as a social commentary on race in society, with critics pointing the long-standing fact (verified by Queen Latifah) that Friends was inspired by Living Single, as well as the positioning of two stars from Get Out when Carmichael's character realizes Friends isn't all it is cracked out to be.

Slayven

The look Carmichael gets when he gets woke is the same look i get when i realized i watched an ep of friends

YaBish

On point. I've never really "got" friends, but maybe that's because it didn't really seem culturally aware at all to me.

I honestly didn't get it really but I'm white so I doubt I'm the intended audience. Liked Hannibal and already disliked Friends (partially for being so fake and white) but still not sure what the message of the video was, especially with the La La Land mishap at the end.

jb1234

It is really, really, really weird seeing a different (and mostly accurate, at least for the first two and a half minutes) take on one of my favorite episodes of Friends.

(Except it's not nearly as funny. That cast really had one of a kind chemistry.)

...did the credits have Aziz Ansari as Aniz? Was only looking for it because of Alan Yang aka the master of none connect. Edit: quickly found out it's his brother. Pretty dope.

More on topic. Dug the video. Friends drag was thoughtful enough.

ezekial45

Banned
I honestly didn't get it really but I'm white so I doubt I'm the intended audience. Liked Hannibal and already disliked Friends (partially for being so fake and white) but still not sure what the message of the video was, especially with the La La Land mishap at the end.

"We stuck in La La Land
Even when we win, we gon' lose"

Even though the La La Land crew handed them the Oscar after realizing the mistake, the crew behind Moonlight--which was the first all black and LGBT film to win a Best Picture Oscar--had to give a rushed and flustered speech, before being taken off the stage to end the show. They were robbed of their 'moment' on national television, and the incident itself has overshadowed the movie.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a8986489/moonlight-was-robbed-of-its-moment/

The song, and the music video, is about racial identity becoming lost in the transition into the broader spectrum of pop culture. Friends was a notoriously White show, only bringing a black character to the forefront till the back end of the series.

That's basically a short version, I'm sure someone else can do a larger analysis of it.

"We stuck in La La Land

Even though the La La Land crew handed them the Oscar after realizing the mistake, the crew behind Moonlight--which was the first all black and LGBT film to win an Oscar--had to give a rushed and flustered speech, before being taken on off the stage to end the show. They were robbed of their 'moment' on national television, and the incident itself has overshadowed the movie.

This was my immediate thought on seeing that whole thing transpire. It was a trainwreck. I really felt bad for the cast and crew.

That was fascinating. I wasn't ready.

Friends really was a weird ass show.

To this day I don't understand what made it funny. I resigned myself to just calling it, "white people humor". But even then it was different because I enjoyed shit like Cheers, Home Improvement, Full House, Boy Meets World, The Wonder Years, so on and so forth. But Friends? I just couldn't.

LewieP

Surprising given the attention to detail in the production that they used modern cameras. Main thing that stands out is how clear the image is.

Otherwise it's very good.

ReiGun

That was an interesting piece.

I do think the biggest shame about the "Moonlight" incident is how it completely overshadowed the film itself. Everyone was either angry over it happening, creating conspiracy theories for why it happened, or talking about the graciousness/bad luck of the actors. The movie itself kind of fell into the background.

I enjoyed that it highlighted the problems that come with making a "Black version" of something, in this case Friends. Namely, if that is your only artistic goal, it's going to be trash and unfulfilling for the people involved. Ignoring even the Living Single inspiration, Friends was about as plain an affair as it gets. I feel like even calling it a "White Show" is does nothing to highlight how milquetoast it was because other "White shows" of the time like Seinfeld, Married...With Children, and Boy Meets World had more going on under the hood and more interesting hooks than just an admittedly charming cast (I may not like Friends, but I will absolutely give it that much). So the question then becomes "Why would you even want a 'Black' version of that? Because it was popular?"

As for the music itself....eh. I find myself almost completely uninterested in Jay-Z these days. This and Story of OJ are both cases where I enjoy the video, but could take or leave the song.

That was fascinating. I wasn't ready.

To this day I don't understand what made it funny. I resigned myself to just calling it, "white people humor". But even then it was different because I enjoyed shit like Cheers, Home Improvement, Full House, Boy Meets World, The Wonder Years, so on and so forth. But Friends? I just couldn't.

This. I used to really want to say it was just for white folk, but some of my favorite sitcoms have been white as hell like the ones you mentioned.

At this point, I'm gonna say it was just bad. At least in the humor department. People always seemed to be really into the more dramatic aspects, so maybe that was the show's real bread and butter?

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't know much about JAY-Z, but that video's really good. I really like it when artists get this creative with their messages. Not sure how I'd feel about the song as a whole track, but in the context of this video everything works.

FRIENDS always felt like "Whitenss: The Show" to me. It was this little bubble world where the only real drama was were they on a break or not.

"We stuck in La La Land

Even though the La La Land crew handed them the Oscar after realizing the mistake, the crew behind Moonlight--which was the first all black and LGBT film to win a Best Picture Oscar--had to give a rushed and flustered speech, before being taken off the stage to end the show. They were robbed of their 'moment' on national television, and the incident itself has overshadowed the movie.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a8986489/moonlight-was-robbed-of-its-moment/

The song, and the music video, is about racial identity becoming lost in the transition into the broader spectrum of pop culture. Friends was a notoriously White show, only bringing a black character to the forefront till the back end of the series.

That's basically a short version, I'm sure someone else can do a larger analysis of it.
Ok thanks, that's basically what I was thinking, the La La Land/Moonlight stuff is clear and Friends being white is clear but I'm not sure about the rest, about the main character going off the set and all.
I don't know much about JAY-Z, but that video's really good. I really like it when artists get this creative with their messages. Not sure how I'd feel about the song as a whole track, but in the context of this video everything works.

FRIENDS always felt like "Whitenss: The Show" to me. It was this little bubble world where the only real drama was where they on a break or not.
Even when they had a subplot where they were "poor" it was just about "hey guys if we go to fancy dinners a lot it'd be nice if you could cover our share sometimes"

I think them just shooting it straight was the right way to do it, I mean Friends is so vapid the best way to spoof it is to let it be what it is.

Oh no doubt. I'm just trying to get as much of the message behind the video as I can. I sometimes struggle with such things. (I admit this is one of those times.)

MIMIC

Banned
"Amber Rose Alert", lol

I still don't get the video.

edit:

The video has been analyzed as a social commentary on race in society, with critics pointing the long-standing fact (verified by Queen Latifah) that Friends was inspired by Living Single

OK, I see.

Romez

Video talks about black TV shows as appossed to black version of white TV shows and you have an actor from Insecure, actors from The Carmichael Show, an actor from Atlanta and also the guy who directed this video directed Atlanta.

Levels.

In depth article on the making of the video, from Jay's intitial conception of the sitcom premise to contacting Yang and beyond.
http://pigeonsandplanes.com/in-depth/2017/08/jay-z-black-friends-moonlight-alan-yang-interview

choice bits:

To me, it's more of a glimpse at how far we have come as a culture. And how far we have yet to go.

I don't want to be didactic and tell people what to think of the video, but one thing that Jay and I talked about is the importance of making your own stuff. I know that sounds trivial, but it really is just owning and making your own stuff. And that applies to movies, music, TV shows, art, whatever it is you're making. It's important to be the author of your own material.

Let's see different kinds of characters who are different races. Let's not have every Asian show be about people working at a laundromat, or a guy who's good at math. You know, it's like, let's go for true diversity in terms of personality and character and role. And not just diversity in terms of tokenism or we're checking off boxes. Let's show literally, legitimately, different kinds of people. That's always been in the back of my mind. The video touches on that a little bit I think.

The thing I will say is, it's not an accident that he's looking up at that full moon. Obviously I was a huge fan of Barry Jenkins' movie Moonlight, and so that allusion is definitely, definitely intentional.

In terms of what it's conveying, I kind of want to leave that up to the viewer. Not just ”Hey this is-" and spit out a dumb reason that I thought of it. I'd rather have people come up with their own interpretations, because I've seen so many great ones already. Depending on the context of who those actors are, and where we are right now as a society, I've seen really interesting interpretations. I did have that final image—the wide shot and the slow dolly back of Jerrod sitting on that bench—in the initial treatment.

So yeah, it's so funny that you said ”You're outspoken on the lack of diversity." I actually think we're making strides. That's kind of to me, part of the message of the video. Again, not to be prescriptive about what it means. As much as it talks about how far we have to go, it also touches on how far we've come.

My brief take-away (please tell me where I'm wrong): The opportunities for people of color have come a long way as reflected in the video where an all-black cast is given the opportunity to remake an American classic show. Yet despite the improvements to our opportunities, the opportunity itself is a catch-22: It's shallow and empty because it's not original but are you going to pass on the opportunity? When looked at from a more macro perspective (offered by Hannibal Buress), the exciting opportunity looks less and less like an opportunity and more like attaching yourself to what is actually a doubling down on the refusal to provide support for true, diverse original content that better reflects the life and times of people of color today. Your opportunity really wasn't what it appeared to be at first glance (a theme and mistake repeated in the song itself).

In such a context, even winning (remaking a beloved show with an all-black cast) is in the end, losing (wasting the talent of the actors involved, creating soulless content, and potentially hurting the chances of more interesting and original ideas well suited for people of color ever being funded and made by studios). A realization that seems to dawn Jerrod Carmichael's character around 4:44, video time as he begins to exit "la la land" and re-enter a hard reality.

From a historical perspective, there is also the dynamic of a black cast remaking a white show (Friends) that was itself a stolen idea of a black show (Living Single) that was given more funding and better promotion and ended up being far more successful.

Give or take? Help, please.

Video talks about black TV shows as appossed to black version of white TV shows and you have an actor from Insecure, actors from The Carmichael Show, an actor from Atlanta and also the guy who directed this video directed Atlanta.

Levels.

Can you explain these "levels" a bit more? I've not watched Atlanta so that context is lost on me.

God damn brilliant video.

Wow.

I feel like everyone is getting it better than me. Help. What made it brilliant to you? Give us paupers some of that wisdom.

Slayven

choice bits:

Can you explain these "levels" a bit more? I've not watched Atlanta so that context is lost on me.

Not to put words in Romez's mouth. But all shows with all black casts that are comedies, but doing their own things especially when exploring blackness in their own ways.

The shows are better written then friends

Not to put words in Romez's mouth. But all shows with all black casts that are comedies, but doing their own things especially when exploring blackness in their own ways.

The shows are better written then friends

oic.

Casting a group of actors known for making content that explores blackness and squeezing them into limited, predefined, shallow and vapid characters is excellent and certainly adds to my thoughts that part of the point here was to demonstrate the cast wasting their talent to try to get a "win" by being part of the remake of Friends. Where only Jerrod's character was able to step out of "lala land" and see it for what it was. Provided I'm not way off at the moment, anyway. Levels indeed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
My interpretation was that black comedians/actors have surpassed shows like Friends (that are maybe still thought of as the benchmark even though they're dated as fuck) but they don't get the recognition ("even when we win, we lose"). that parallels the Moonlight / LaLa Land bit.

The final shot walking out of the Friends world and literally looking up to Moonlight seems pretty obvious imo but I could be off though. I'm not good at this stuff.

My interpretation was that black comedians/actors have surpassed shows like Friends (that are maybe still thought of as the benchmark even though they're dated as fuck) but they don't get the recognition ("even when we win, we lose"). that parallels the Moonlight / LaLa Land bit.

They certainly succeeded at making some really talented actors and greatly limiting their talent to squeeze them into their shallow and predefined roles as Friends cast members. All done to "play the game", so to speak. And even when reducing themselves to play that game, they still lost because the creation itself was soulless and empty.

Perhaps that's a big part of it too.

Newline

They certainly succeeded at making some really talented actors and greatly limiting their talent to squeeze them into their shallow and predefined roles as Friends cast members. All done to "play the game", so to speak. And even when reducing themselves to play that game, they still lost because the creation itself was soulless and empty.

Perhaps that's a big part of it too.
Their roles in this transcends anything the real friends cast got to do in that show imo.

- J - D -

I feel like La La Land is also analogous to Friends beyond the Oscar debacle symbolism, despite its direct influences perhaps not being as easily identifiable as Living Single was to Friends.

I liked this video but just like with OJ I feel like as a whole the music is the least noteworthy part.

Dereck

I saw it as the Black community saying "look, now we can finally do this" because society has progressed enough for us to do so. But the progress in itself renders a too little too late concept. Which ends up having a lukewarm satisfaction to being able to replicate something so humorless and banal.

Busty

Banned
I enjoyed this even if I wasn't sure exactly what it was tying to say.

And it also speaks volumes that only someone with the stature of Jay-Z could get Warner Bros to let him use a multi billion dollar property like Friends for something like this. Maybe that's ultimately the big take away here. Maybe it isn't.

EDIT - Directed by Master Of None's Alan Yang. Interesting.

Blader

That was an interesting piece.

I do think the biggest shame about the "Moonlight" incident is how it completely overshadowed the film itself. Everyone was either angry over it happening, creating conspiracy theories for why it happened, or talking about the graciousness/bad luck of the actors. The movie itself kind of fell into the background.

That fuck up probably did more to raise Moonlight's public profile than any Oscar win.

Top Bottom