• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Cancelled PlayStation 4 (PS4) Exclusive: Gnomageddon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2YRVokMGo

Watching this right now. This was trademarked a one or two years ago and nobody knew what it is/was.

- Sony San Diego was working on it
- Online 3rd person action game
- MOBA like
- was liked by playtesters brought in, internally, too

Basically Kill Strain killed this game, and the devs of Kill Strain complained about no marketing and visibility on the PSN Store.

nampad

Sounds very similar to PvZ: GW and probably would have been crushed by it anyway.
Funnily though, sounds like another portable game dev got crushed by the superb planning of the resources of SCEWWS.

I'm sure I read somewhere that this was the rumoured game Sucker Punch was working on, guess that wasn't true then.

I wonder what they are actually working on then ?

Peroroncino

They cancelled what?

tenor.gif

jayu26

One of these you will get it right Sony San Diego, one of these days you will be known for something other than MLB.

Skeeter49

One of these you will get it right Sony San Diego, one of these days you will be known for something other than MLB.

The Show is great, so not the worst thing to be known for.
They just need to do something other than F2P or moba's.

Give them a Syphon Filter Baseball game.

blakep267

Wow. How did they let Killstrain ballon to 50-60 million dollars. Crazy. MS did the same thing with fable legends, another FTp game

Dadasch

Wasn't there a rumour with a Sony game inspired by H.R.Giger Or something along those lines?

That is a tragedy!

I don't know. The premise of scalebound always sounded better than anything they ever showed. It didn't look too hot.

Even if you think that, Scalebound appeared at three consecutive E3 events and had a pretty big public presence. We never knew anything about this game other than its title (which I don't believe was ever publicly announced).

Ridley327

Wow. How did they let Killstrain ballon to 50-60 million dollars. Crazy. MS did the same thing with fable legends, another FTp game

They said $15-$16 million. If Sony actually spent that much on Killstrain, they would have probably had to shut all of SDS down.

RSchmitz

I'm just glad Gnomageddon wasn't Sucker Punch's games.
As for the game itself, yeah I would'nt play it. Nothing that interests me there.
This f2p thing in San Diego seemed like a mistake from the start.

Funny that they're pushing Orcs Must Die harder right now than they did their own game. Makes you wonder sometimes how much of Sonys success is stumbled into.

LiamR

It should be noted that it wasn't going to necessarily be "MOBA like" in its final product but it started like that before becoming more divorced from those ideas. It was really more of an online action game by the end. It just had some light MOBA elements like its class system that were leftovers from its MOBA like origins.

Floody

Looked and sounds more interesting than Killstrain, shame it and the team got killed before seeing it finished. Even if it probably would've went out just like Kill Strain.

Ridley327

As for the game itself, yeah I would'nt play it. Nothing that interests me there.
This f2p thing in San Diedo seemed like a mistake from the start.

Sony has deeply struggled with f2p. Kill Strain shut down last month and The Tomorrow Children is shutting down in November. They've got some exclusivity deals in place for titles like Paragon and Let it Die that seem to be doing fine, but those don't take nearly the same amount of resources.

Shin

Banned
Watching the video in the OP it makes me think that MLB is a real money maker for SSDS and the reason it still exists.
Because to be honest and in my opinion their output is more horrible than Evolution yet the latter was closed down.

jayu26

Watching the video in the OP it makes me think that MLB is a real money maker for SSDS and the reason it still exists.
Because to be honest and in my opinion their output is more horrible than Evolution yet the latter was closed down.

Of course MLB is huge money maker. It is the baseball sim to buy.

Ridley327

Drive Club's failure cannot be overstated. That was at the forefront of the system's reveal and poised to be a marquee Playstation franchise, and they found a way to completely fuck it all up to an irreparable degree. That they found their footing later means little in an industry often dominated by first impressions. I don't know if it should have meant that the whole studio should have been axed, but they brought that on themselves with how much of a disaster the launch turned out to be.

Kolx

It's more to the fact that it's a yearly franchise with a ton of reused assets every year. Did we ever get a number for any of the mlb show games?

Shin

Banned
Drive Club's failure cannot be overstated. That was at the forefront of the system's reveal and poised to be a marquee Playstation franchise, and they found a way to completely fuck it all up to an irreparable degree. That they found their footing later means little in an industry often dominated by first impressions. I don't know if it should have meant that the whole studio should have been axed, but they brought that on themselves with how much of a disaster the launch turned out to be.

I get that, but once again SSDS also have had their fair share of failures (just going by this video none of those games set the world on fire so to speak).
Hopefully management is a lot better now and they'll be able to try out different things again in the future.

Skeeter49

I feel like the biggest issue was having them do several of these type of games at once, instead of doing one like Guns Up, and then seeing where that goes before trying Killstrain or this.
Maybe marketing would have been better.

Which ones were straight up internal? We're Guns Up, Killstrain, and GnomeDome all internal?

They chart really well on NPD every year.

If you watched the video, they weren't even really the same studio. Different offices, different management and different games, it comes off like they were essentially two different studios with the same name. The way Sony San Diego would juggle multiple projects of different sizes makes a bit more sense now, as does the way Sony closed that part of SSD down.

Gnomageddon seemed pretty promising, especially in contrast to Kill Strain, so it's a pity it was cancelled. But having said that, I probably wouldn't have played it.

Still, if I got the details right, it sounds like its demise (as well as the "studio" itself) was largely down to their management doubling down on Kill Strain when they probably should've just cut their losses. Hell, they (and WWS) probably should've cut their losses before Kill Strain even released if development was as rocky as it sounds.

This f2p thing in San Diego seemed like a mistake from the start.

No surprise, that rumour always smelt like bullshit. It just coincidentally used a trademark and piece of concept art that had already leaked months earlier. It's like the person who came up with it didn't even try.

blakep267

Free to play on a console continues to be a total failure.

Sony wasn't smart to to go so hard at it.
NOT necessarily. Games like
-Smite
- Paladins
- Roblox
- Warframe
- World of tanks

All do fine( at least on the Xbox). It's just that your FTP game has to be really good and launch at the right time with fanfare

AAMARMO

Banned
NOT necessarily. Games like
-Smite
- Paladins
- Roblox
- Warframe
- World of tanks

All do fine( at least on the Xbox). It's just that your FTP game has to be really good and launch at the right time with fanfare

That's because they first came out on PC so they already had a player base .

I feel like the biggest issue was having them do several of these type of games at once, instead of doing one like Guns Up, and then seeing where that goes before trying Killstrain or this.
Maybe marketing would have been better.

Which ones were straight up internal? We're Guns Up, Killstrain, and GnomeDome all internal?

Kill Strain and Gnomageddon were internal, Guns Up! is external.

I believe Guns Up! is actually doing relatively well for itself.

blakep267

That's because they first came out on PC so they already had a player base .
In referring to the console versions of the game on the Xbox side. Not in general. The poster said FTP on consoles doesn't work. While it doesn't in some cases, there are games that do succeed

Ridley327

I get that, but once again SSDS also have had their fair share of failures (just going by this video none of those games set the world on fire so to speak).
Hopefully management is a lot better now and they'll be able to try out different things again in the future.

MLB: The Show is a huge hit, so they're going to be safe until someone else decides to finally pony up for the license to create some real competition. SDS is hardly in great condition otherwise, since they're essentially chained to the series after all the layoffs, but a success is a success.

Skeeter49

Free to play on a console continues to be a total failure.

Sony wasn't smart to to go so hard at it.

They should have considered releasing the F2P ones on PC, at least at the start.

People are weary on F2P, especially on console, and F2P games aren't going to push a system. If they did it with a few external games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Helldivers, there's no reason they couldn't have done it with Killstrain, Drawn to Death, and Guns Up. Especially Drawn to Death which needs a big userbase, that would have been a good cross play game.

Kill Strain and Gnomageddon were internal, Guns Up! is external.

I believe Guns Up! is actually doing relatively well for itself.
Thanks. Good to hear, hopefully they try more external stuff then.

Top Bottom