• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weird History of Marvel's Defenders Most of Whom Are Not Appearing on the TV Show

io9 link to the full piece. I had forgotten how many times Marvel tried to make them a big thing.

This Friday, after years of build up, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, and the Iron Fist will team up on Netflix for The Defenders, bringing another storied Marvel superteam to live-action... but not really. See, the Defenders of TV and the Defenders of the comics may call themselves the same thing, but otherwise they’re almost nothing alike.

m0rpsapekhs810gs2dlh9pyfl.png

Slayven

Sucks Manslaughter and his man purse will never be done justice

2868568-ohotmu_defenders__1___page_23.jpg

Defenders is great, because they were the first superhero team that hated each other

border

Well yeah, I'm not sure how they could have possibly done a television show with a lineup like that.

What sort of budget-friendly threat could possibly arise that would necessitate Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange and the Hulk all showing up to help?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Well yeah, I'm not sure how they could have possibly done a television show with a lineup like that.

What sort of budget-friendly threat could possibly arise that would necessitate Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange and the Hulk all showing up to help?

Yep. Seems a very strange point of criticism.

border

By the early ‘80s, however, big changes were coming to the Defenders. In a bid to shake-up the series the title was re-branded as The New Defenders from issue 125, and Doctor Strange, Namor, Hulk, and Silver Surfer were removed from the series—due to a newly-revealed prophecy that claimed should the four unite again, they’d be responsible for the end of the world

That is a hilariously dumb way to get rid of team members. Has Marvel actually kept these 4 characters from re-uniting for the past 30 years?

RedBoot

Yeah, it's kind of a dumb thing to complain about, but I always thought they should have called it something like Marvel Knights instead of Defenders. The latter name just screams Strange, Hulk, Namor, and Surfer to me.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I LOVED the mini where Namor gets stuck in Rick Jones' body and they have to like fight the devil.

Shit was awesome. My Defenders will always be Hulk, Strange, Namor, Silver Surfer.

Pau

Can't believe we got night nurse before Patsy Cline
Cline? And I'm not that surprised. The first is easier as a female supporting character, the second is an actual woman in a superhero costume.

we got trish walker who's training in martial arts and likes the idea of costumed heroes. hope they go the rest of the way.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I hope they do too. ;-;

MC Safety

By the early ‘80s, however, big changes were coming to the Defenders. In a bid to shake-up the series the title was re-branded as The New Defenders from issue 125, and Doctor Strange, Namor, Hulk, and Silver Surfer were removed from the series—due to a newly-revealed prophecy that claimed should the four unite again, they’d be responsible for the end of the world

That is a hilariously dumb way to get rid of team members. Has Marvel actually kept these 4 characters from re-uniting for the past 30 years?

Nope. They've reunited a bunch of times.

Top Bottom