• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to make your mini own arcade machine (2017) for around £170 / $200

MRORANGE

So a couple of years ago I made a mini arcade machine. In this thread I am going to revamp the cabinet and explain how I made the machine and post all relevant material so other people can make their own mini arcade machines! The process is very simple and its a great weekend project (actually took 3 hours to build!) I'll be posting links on where to get stuff and will post the .DXF file for other people to build their own. It's actually quite easy to do and I'm happy to take on ideas as I'm making it :)

Previous Old Design

TvYky7v.jpg
HWF52D9.jpg

Parts list:

Still not complete, but this is what it cost me last time, I will update this later with links on where to obtain the materials:

£30 for the raspberry pi
£10 for the second card
£22 for the arcade parts
£3 for screws and bolts
£65 for the screen
£10 for a sheet of mdf
£5 for several officers of acrylic
£5 for some speakers
£10 for wires and cables
£5 spent on laser cutting

Version 3 updates

- Have smaller mitre joints on the frame to now show on the outside of the cabinet
- Remove any sharp corners from the previous design
- Make a modular frame for the arcade buttons and stick so it can be easily removed
- Add a back panel with door
- Add a USB external output on the machine
- Make a version that uses swana buttons instead.

FAQ:

Is this easy to do with no DIY experience?
Yes! a lot of the time you will be just screwing bits on once you got the frame.

What games will I be able to play?
Check here to see the full list of supported platforms

I do not have access to a laser-cutter
There are a ton of stores around the world that offer laser cutter services very cheaply, you can also use the file to print out the cabinet design and trace over onto wood to make it instead, if all else fails you can also buy cabinet kits off ebay.

Do I need to know how to program?
Nope, you may need to use some linux commands if you want to set up custom controls for each game but its very easy and I will list out how to do so.

MRORANGE

So back to illustrator, currently smoothing the corners from the original design to have a 10mm curve on the front bezel, I may even change the lcd frame to have rounded corners, but not as extreme. I am also reducing the size of the mite joints so it won't make the fram weaker once put together. This model will be made out of plywood.

A22kTqJ.png

ETA: 1 week for all drawings to be done, will post a link to the completed file.

yasu151

Thank you much for the instructions. I've much enjoyed following your projects from the raspberry pi thread, and am really tempted to try this out. A good friend is faculty at a local community college with access to some pretty sweet 3d printers, and I'm tempted to get creative with the materials.

Grug

How hard would it be to do a back-to-back one that mirrored the screen onto a second screen but allowed a second player?

Or would it make more sense to make two separate units and network them?

This has great potential for the bar in my mancave.

MRORANGE

How hard would it be to do a back-to-back one that mirrored the screen onto a second screen but allowed a second player?

Or would it make more sense to make two separate units and network them?

This has great potential for the bar in my mancave.

Like this?

Xs0K8Aa.png

If you can find a way to duplicate the HDMI signal then it should not be hard at all, you would need to zero delay encoder that supports two players but it shout not be a huge problem, just extra power requirements.

Cool. Currently on the hunt for a better mount for my goofy switch arcade thing. I think ideally it would function like a bartop, with an even smaller footprint, that you could also relocate anywhere you damn well please at a moments notice. Having a dedicated box would be pretty good too, though, nice work.

Grug

Like this?

Xs0K8Aa.png

If you can find a way to duplicate the HDMI signal then it should not be hard at all, you would need to zero delay encoder that supports two players but it shout not be a huge problem, just extra power requirements.

Yeah, like that. Very cool.

The school I teach at just got a laser cutter in their manual arts department. This is very intriguing.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
looking forward to the new drawing Mr Orange...
I'm really interested in this and are happy that you want to make it for Sanwa parts.

I still have a USB controller board for Sanwas laying around from a Arcade Stick build I did like 2 years ago (just need to order a new stick and buttons) and a bunch raspberries I dont use at the moment and always wanted to build a thing like this...

I have to find out if I can get that stuff laser cut somewhere near me...

what monitor did you use for your old build?

This is great Orange, subbed. I really want to do this but I feel like I'd like to go for a full size 2P cab, but that's probably well beyond my level of skill. How hard do you think your project is for a newbie to tackle?

MRORANGE

looking forward to the new drawing Mr Orange...
I'm really interested in this and are happy that you want to make it for Sanwa parts.

I still have a USB controller board for Sanwas laying around from a Arcade Stick build I did like 2 years ago (just need to order a new stick and buttons) and a bunch raspberries I dont use at the moment and always wanted to build a thing like this...

I have to find out if I can get that stuff laser cut somewhere near me...

what monitor did you use for your old build?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-inch-T...ra-Security-/152436657819?hash=item237deece9b

Veryy good 10" monitor, will explain later why I chosed this one.

This is great Orange, subbed. I really want to do this but I feel like I'd like to go for a full size 2P cab, but that's probably well beyond my level of skill. How hard do you think your project is for a newbie to tackle?

The hardest part is getting the wood cut out, but you have a few options:

- find a laserr cutter service who will cut out the parts for you
- print out the drawing template and trace it out on wood
- Find a cabinet kit on ebay.

smoothj

Always been interested in this. Can the pi play higher end name games like NFL blitz or a newer king of fighters?

Ive always wanted to make an IKEA style Arcade Cabinet with easy assembly. I had (and might still have?) all the necessary parts except for the lumber itself.

Good stuff, OP. It looks fancy and useable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The hardest part is getting the wood cut out, but you have a few options:

- find a laserr cutter service who will cut out the parts for you
- print out the drawing template and trace it out on wood
- Find a cabinet kit on ebay.

- get MRORANGE to laser cut them for you and bing home £20 for his troubles..

MRORANGE

Will you be posting a full step by step build?

Yes, posting a fresh build as I go along. feel free to ask any questions as I go along.

yup thats fine as well, check around ebay for the cheapest price, as long as it's 10" it should fit.

Always been interested in this. Can the pi play higher end name games like NFL blitz or a newer king of fighters?

Just Neo Geo MVS

- get MRORANGE to laser cut them for you and bing home £20 for his troubles..

I would dread to think how much time I would have to spend at the machine plus working out shipping :)

MRORANGE

Mini update:

So Pimoroni sells USB Panel Mount Extension cables, this is for attaching another controller to the cabinet when needed. I'm, assuming that you can get this cheaper on ebay and its the same make. The downside were the fact that the screws were too short, I bought some extra M3 bolts.

Quick and simple drawing, most likely placed at the back of the cabinet or maybe the front of the cabinet if the cable is long enough:

a quick cut out and engraving I got this, Might change the spacing of height to allow thicker usb devices. this could also be used to import games from an external usb as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Subbed. Having some kind of custom arcade cabinet in one form or another has been one of those "summer project" dreams I've had for a while, this seems like it'd be up my alley.

What's the final size of the cabinet once completed? & what screen size did you use?

MRORANGE

Subbed. Having some kind of custom arcade cabinet in one form or another has been one of those "summer project" dreams I've had for a while, this seems like it'd be up my alley.

What's the final size of the cabinet once completed? & what screen size did you use?

No more than: H 300mm x W 300 mm x D 300mm

It it s a 10" screen.

Made some jigs a barter and a standup build, not got round to putting them together yet, will post some images if there's any interest

Top Bottom