• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of Nations Extended Edition coming to Windows Store (Crossplay with Steam)

jbug617

Banned
Coming 9/14

At Xbox, we support creating moments that connect gamers with their friends in new and innovative ways. In support of this, today, I am proud to announce that the historic RTS hit Rise of Nations: Extended Edition is coming to Windows Store on September 14th, with the unique cross-network play feature that enables fans to challenge up to eight players online with Windows 10, across Xbox Live and Steam. We want gamers to enjoy this classic Game of the Year-winning RTS through sharing multiplayer experiences with their friends, and it’s now a reality for Windows 10 gamers to join over two million Rise of Nations fans on Steam in mastering 6,000 years of history, from the Ancient Age to the Information Age.

For a limited time, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition will be available in Windows Store for only $4.99 USD. The regular price will be $19.99.

Offering hundreds of hours of gameplay, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition for Windows 10 includes both the original Rise of Nations game as well as the PC Game of the Year expansion, Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots.

Features:
Lead one of 24 nations, each with its own distinctive attributes and special units.
Learn to play with six tutorials for beginning to experienced strategy gamers.
Take command over a hundred military units operating on the ground, sea, and air— from Hoplites to Frigates to Helicopters.
Research more than 50 technologies over eight historical epochs.
Build wonders of the world, including the Terra Cotta Army, the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel Tower. Each wonder gives your nation special bonuses.
Play a variety of the critically acclaimed Single-Player Conquer the World campaigns including, Alexander the Great, The New World, Napoleon and The Cold War.
Experience more than a dozen map types in single and multiplayer scenarios, ranging from the Amazon Rainforest to the Himalayas to the Nile Delta.
Xbox Live Integration
Multiplayer with ranked matches (ELO)
Achievements
Cloud saves
https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/18/rise-of-nations-extended-edition-windows-store/amp/

Damn nice that finally games with W10 x Steam crossplay are appearing. But it is hilarious to see that a communication between 2 platforms on the PC can be called "unique".

JlNX

Wait Xbox is finally doing something with the IP they bought years ago, it took them long enough I hope just like AOE this means good things for the future of the brands.

roytheone

Damn nice that finally games with W10 x Steam crossplay are appearing. But it is hilarious to see that a communication between 2 platforms on the PC can be called "unique".

Remember, this is the company that announced being able to select the drive you install your game on as some amazing new feature.

I believe they are doing this to test the waters after the harsh comments they got for aoe 1 de being windows 10 store exclusive.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
it’s now a reality for Windows 10 gamers to join over two million Rise of Nations fans on Steam in mastering 6,000 years of history

*fixes typo*

it’s now a reality for 6,000 Windows 10 gamers to join over two million Rise of Nations fans on Steam in mastering years of history

LordRaptor

Firesale pricing to get people to use the store is going to work as well as it did when I bought that copy of AOE3 for 10p from GFWL

MUnited83

For you.
I believe they are doing this to test the waters after the harsh comments they got for aoe 1 de being windows 10 store exclusive.

They are doing this because no person would be insane to buy this game on the W10 store without having crossplay with the platform where 99.999% of the community plays it and has played it for a few years already.

_Aaron_

How does this crossplay work exactly? Does the Steam version now require you to sign into Xbox Live or something?

Nutter

The fact that "Crossplay with Steam" is a thing, really shows how out of touch Microsoft is.

They are releasing the game on their own store and recognize and value the many people who have it on steam and are ensuring its crossplay between the two.

I fail to see the out of touch.

Why would someone want to buy this on Windows Store if it's already on Steam?

This isn't for them.

arguably the first and last truly great RTS game

if the windows store should have some games in this subgenre, rise of nations is a good choice

every company releases so called features that probably shouldn't be called that.... or things that should already be there.
But its hostile in here, the game could NOT have cross play with steam, not all games do, so good for that.

Lazaro

If you have the Xbox Insider app installed on Windows 10 and join the Rise of Nations preview, you can play right now.

Bluth54

I really hope we get a new expansion for this game like Age of Empires 2.
A true Rise of Nations 2 would be amazing, though I would love for Microsoft to do a Rise of Legends Enhanced Edition and put it on Steam since I never played it.

Why would someone want to buy this on Windows Store if it's already on Steam?

There are a few crazy Xbox players who want to get as high of a gamerscore as possible.

cuc

How does this crossplay work exactly? Does the Steam version now require you to sign into Xbox Live or something?

According to today's official update on the beta branch:

Greetings,

Earlier today it was announced that Rise of Nations: Extended Edition will release as a cross-network play game that will allow players to play against each other on Xbox live, and Steam starting September 14th 2017.

Starting today we are adding Beta users with our Windows 10 UWP version of the game, we hope that you will join in, and help test this exciting new feature. Nothing should feel different other than you may see some Xbox live players popping in here and there.

We would love to hear all your feedback and insight on this great new feature, and are excited for the upcoming live release of cross-network play on September 14th. Thank you for all of your help and continued support.

~Rise of Nations Team~

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One step closer to MS releasing its other WinStore games on Steam, I'd wager, and possibly vice-versa if this test case does well enough. I'd always assumed WinStore -> Steam releases would eventually sport Uplayesque Xbox app integration, but it appears MS may instead opt for a more elegant solution -- one that would allow it to easily explain away a lack of cross-buy support.

Unfucking believable that the term "crossplay" is being used on PC games just because they're on different storefronts.

They're not just different storefronts like Steam, Origin and Uplay. Windows Store apps are in a completely different executable format. Regular Windows software is "Win32", the Windows Store app format is called "UWP" (Universal Windows Platform).

This is a port to a different platform, think Windows vs Linux.

Bluth54

Unfucking believable that the term "crossplay" is being used on PC games just because they're on different storefronts.

You do realize that Rise of Nations on Steam uses Steamworks multiplayer not Xbox Live right? Steam and Xbox Live are different multiplayer services and crossplay would be an appropriate term for games that link up the two services.

_Aaron_

So, they're probably using this for testing. If it goes well they'll probably add it to Halo Wars: Definitive Edition and other RTS like AOE2: HD, Age of Mythology.

Then Halo Wars 2 and AOE: Definitive Edition will probably get a Steam releases as well with "Windows 10 crossplay".

You do realize that Rise of Nations on Steam uses Steamworks multiplayer not Xbox Live right? Steam and Xbox Live are different multiplayer services and crossplay would be an appropriate term for games that link up the two services.

Do you realize we are talking about PC? This shit shouldn't happen.

Bluth54

Do you realize we are talking about PC? This shit shouldn't happen.

Yes and I realize the PC has many different muliplayer platforms, like Steam, Xbox Live, Uplay, Origin, Blizzard and more. Do you think that the PC should just have 1 multiplayer platform?

Yes and I realize the PC has many different muliplayer platforms, like Steam, Xbox Live, Uplay, Origin, Blizzard and more. Do you think that the PC should just have 1 multiplayer platform?

You don't get it. You're mixing storefronts and multiplayers services. A game bought in Steam should be able to be played againts the same game bought in Uplay (and guess what? It's this way). But when it's advertised as "crossplatform", it's meant as if it was closed at first. It shouldn't be a feature since it was ALWAYS there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
After failing miserably at trying to lock games to Windows ecosystem only, they're putting on an act like they're pushing this cross play initiative.

CryptiK

I would think it shows that they are actually in touch.

They are releasing the game on their own store and recognize and value the many people who have it on steam and are ensuring its crossplay between the two.

I fail to see the out of touch.

This isn't for them.
It shouldn't need to be a feature. Its on PC, they should work together like every other digital platform out there. Origin, Uplay, GoG all work with Steam and vice versa. You dont see those stores gating off anything.

Top Bottom