• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to talk about " super easy mode " or " story " difficulty in game

Back in 2012, Bioware writer Jennifer Hepler (who wrote Dragon Age and Star Wars: The Old Republic) said she who'd like to see a difficulty in games where people could enjoy story and skip combat.

Of course, internet ruined her life, right about the time of Mass Effect 3 announcing a gameplay mode that would take conversation and choices for the player. This was seen as many as a huge dumbing down of the entire Role Playing experience.

Mass_Effect_3_%2528PC%2529_06a.jpg

Now, at the time, I loved her idea but, you can't really just take away ALL combat from a narrative heavy game like Mass Effect or Uncharted... But I loved her idea of making these great stories available to as many as possible...

I'm so thrilled at the huge sucess of Telltale games and the entire subgenre it more or less revived, because these are basically non gameplay games.

Tales-from-the-Borderlands-choices-1024x640.jpg

I also love how Uncharted in " Explorer " difficulty (see how they made it not " super easy for baby " difficulty, to not look demeaning to players who, lets say, are not used to play these game, are disable or who just don't want the challenge because they have only a short few dozen of minutes to play per night.

maxresdefault.jpg

Explorer difficulty lower enemy detection range, marks, enemies for you, basically offer a huge aim magnet... It's really helping players, not really dumbing down the experience. It also lets you customize at any moments all assists in the option menu to tweak your experience as you see fit. It's really cool to have enemies be dumb and vulnerable but not having the aim magnet for example and still feel like a badass to properly align headshots on your own.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last week Horizon added a similar easier difficulty setting and I think it's an amazing move because I have tons of friends playing with their girlfriends and falling in love for that game and Alloy but cann't play as the game is rather demanding and challenging.

Hell, Final Fantasy XII Remaster is offering a fast forward option to speed up time by 2 or by 4 on the fly, to make back tracking, farming, or exploring much faster ! I think this is, on its own, another form of options making the game more accessible and enjoyable for as many as possible

FFXIITZA_0606_ph009.jpg

Now looking at the future, I'm really open to all form of alternative gameplay and I'm all for broader appeal of games, in general. The more options the better for the medium because it means the more players.

Is the Explorer difficulty only for the Nathan Drake Collection? I tried playing it on my PS3 a few weeks back and I think Easy was the lowest difficulty available.

I ask because I was getting creamed at one part (I'm trash at FPS) and I gave up out of frustration.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well more option is always good but for me doesn't matter how good the story is I need resistance, I like to struggle and even die couple of times. If not then there is no point for me to play the game and I end up getting bored.

Croash

I really love options like this.

Explorer is how I played Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy. I don't want to spend half the game taking cover, aiming slowly and precisely, with a black and white screen every time I'm hit. I want to run, jump, shoot and punch my way through it all as I appreciate the environments, the music, etc.

This is coming from someone who adored getting Platinum trophies on U1/2/3 on PS3 (apparently I beat Uncharted 1 in Crushing exactly 6 hours after unlocking it, talk about dedication!). My mindset used to be: Hardest is how developers intended for it to be played, the rest is simply modifying values.

Horizon, however, I played on Very Hard so that I'd be forced to master the gameplay elements and explore the open world with caution.

The more linear/cinematic a game feels to me, the less time I want to spend struggling through enemy waves to get to "the good parts".

Pillars of Eternity added a low difficulty setting for players who wanted to experience the story and role-playing aspects of the game without worrying about the finer points of RTwP combat. I can't remember any specific impressions of the game mode, but given that the genre has a pretty long history of offering multiple difficulty settings, I doubt there were any complaints.

Is the Explorer difficulty only for the Nathan Drake Collection? I tried playing it on my PS3 a few weeks back and I think Easy was the lowest difficulty available.

I ask because I was getting creamed at one part (I'm trash at FPS) and I gave up out of frustration.

I dont remember it either. It must be a remaster feature.

I would have definitely picked it though. I am pretty decent at gamepad aiming but IMO playing UC games on the lowest difficulty possible is generally the best way to experience them.

it's indeed a remaster exclusive feature. It's also in UC4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy

I really love options like this.

Explorer is how I played Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy. I don't want to spend half the game taking cover, aiming slowly and precisely, with a black and white screen every time I'm hit. I want to run, jump, shoot and punch my way through it all as I appreciate the environments, the music, etc.

This is coming from someone who adored getting Platinum trophies on U1/2/3 on PS3 (apparently I beat Uncharted 1 in Crushing exactly 6 hours after unlocking it, talk about dedication!). My mindset used to be: Hardest is how developers intended for it to be played, the rest is simply modifying values.

Horizon, however, I played on Very Hard so that I'd be forced to master the gameplay elements and explore the open world with caution.

The more linear/cinematic a game feels to me, the less time I want to spend struggling through enemy waves to get to "the good parts".

I would even argue that Uncharted is the most fun in low difficulty when you can pop up of cover, run and gun, jump, land a couple of punches and kick and jump back to cover.

Just poping your guns out of cover is so sad especially in UC4 and UC LL with the grappling hook and the open ended level and the verticality

Damaniel

Banned
Keep the options coming. The more the better.

more options is always better

Yep. I don't understand the people who insist that adding a 'super easy' mode to the game somehow cheapens their experience even though the harder difficulties still exist for them to play. I played Persona 5 beginning to end on Safe difficulty and don't feel like my experience was ruined in any way.

I hope these options persist. My wife didn't grow up around video games and played only a few before she was 25 so the learning curve has been massive and pretty punishing. She is content in watching me play story based games but the fact that she got to play The Lost Legacy this week and not just watch was incredibly fulfilling and awesome for both of us.

I might have her try HZD next. I have a feeling it might have too many mechanics/be overwhelming but I'm so happy developers are thinking of ways to include people that normally wouldn't be able to engage with what they make.

I've never understood why anyone would complain about people having more accessibility to things in a single player context. It's only good for the industry.

I for one love the “easy” mode. I play games in my free time when I want to relax, I’m all for challenge but at the point it’s annoying I just want to move on and easy mode allows that, then I get bump it up back to normal.

Tagyhag

I much rather prefer something like this than dumbing down the entire game for everyone across the board.

People who want an easier experience are happy.

People who don't want less mechanics are happy.

Everyone wins.

pagrab

I have seen several threads where people were opposed to this idea, but I have yet to see a coherent argument explaining how having more options can be seen as a problem.

Gator86

More options are better, like people have said. If you're upset that other people aren't playing video games as hard as you are, you're probably a comical failure of a person. They're fucking video games.

Alienous

As much as it's possible to make it the case inability to play shouldn't be a factor in people purchasing entertainment products. It even makes business sense.

Unless the point of an experience is difficulty/challenge there should be options to negate those elements almost completely. Not everyone wants to have their reaction speeds and dexterity tested - some people just want an interactive experience.

joecanada

my gf loves naughty dog games , she's currently playing uncharted 4 , and I always put them on easy but just don't tell her. she does okay but I can see having an explorer mode would be good too for first timers or those who just don't enjoy dying.

Harlequin

I'm not a fan of designing a game around dumbed-down or over-automated mechanics (what I mean by that is I don't like the general trend of AAA games being designed to be super easy, especially when it comes to non-combat mechanics like puzzles, exploration and platforming) but implementing optional difficulty modes that make things easier for people who want or need an easy/automated experience but that don't affect the experience for those who don't? There's absolutely no reason to be opposed to that. When it comes to options, the more the merrier.

Damaniel

Banned
I have seen several threads where people were opposed to this idea, but I have yet to see a coherent argument explaining how having more options can be seen as a problem.

The main opposition I've seen seems to come from Soulsborne threads. From the level of hostility I've seen toward suggestions of adding an easier difficulty to future Souls games, you'd think they were proposing to cancel the series entirely.

UrbanRats

I always played Uncharted on hard, but i should really try it on Easy.
Having to spend 70% of firefights in either cover or in black & white, isnt that fun.

Jeffrey

Yep these days I enjoy sp games on easy or normal.

For the most part it's just tweaks to enemy hp and damage a bit. so the experience isn't that different.

Killing a boss in 6 hits vs 8 hits, I'd go with the former.

Only if it's random battles for me. They should still be active if you have to touch an enemy on the overworld.

I think there's benefits in the latter instance too. In Ni no Kuni I hated how it takes until almost the end of the game until you can skip enemy encounters. Sometimes I just wasn't in the mood to battle or wanted to explore. It doesn't help that the run away system is a total crapshoot if you don't ambush them.

My biggest issue with the game in general is just how long it takes to get basic QOL options, actually.

ckaneo

It's because it can hurt how you design enemies/puzzles.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for easy difficulty options. They allow more people to enjoy gaming. What's not to like about that? I don't understand why anybody would ever be against the idea.

At the same time, if devs want to design their game with a set difficulty that you can't ever change, I'm all for that as well.

There's room enough for every option.

Every single RPG needs fastforward and the ability to disable battles. Accessibility options are always good.

Agreed. It makes it so much easier (and faster)( to be able to do grinding when you need. Especially for those RPGs that have a lot of padding in them.

As far as story mode, IMO it's a good thing. Like others have said you still get to experience the story without having as many issues with the gameplay, which is nice for stuff like FPS where (for me personally) it's a lot harder to aim well and consistently than on PC (which I'm more used to).

Yep. I don't understand the people who insist that adding a 'super easy' mode to the game somehow cheapens their experience even though the harder difficulties still exist for them to play. I played Persona 5 beginning to end on Safe difficulty and don't feel like my experience was ruined in any way.

Yep. With work, kids and a ton of other responsibilities I just don't have the time to invest in the grind of brutally challenging games. A light to moderate challenge with a good experience is enough to hit the right spot at times.

Llyranor

Even hardcore games like Bayonetta have super easy modes where the game automatically pulls off the combos for you. There is no strong argument against having extra options.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't oppose to these modes but certainly they shouldn't call them super easy mode, i like the games that come with descriptions for the difficulty levles that are clever and honest, like that game that has a description for it's easy mode that reads something like "Because some times you're tired after work and you just want to play to feel like a goddamn super hero".

I also like when the insults are in the description for the harder modes, like i think Tohou games do.

So pretty much games should be honest with like "Bro, we get it, you got a job, you're tired, you have little time for this, just relax" modes.

Geg

I usually use Explorer mode for subsequent playthroughs of Uncharted games, because fuck the combat sections in that series

You're lucky that you guys aren't saying this shit in a dark souls thread. The wailing from the fans would be deafening.

I was about to be that guy just now and say that not all games should cater to an easy mode, it's not about being a contrarian it's just a fact. I can't play racing games cause I'm terrible at them but I don't want them to make it easier for me. For story driven games I don't mind.. but certain games racing, fighting games.. just no. I'll be labeled a bad guy but what can I say.

ClSzlSU.gif

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Jennifer Hepler made quite an interesting point (back in 2012!), why do we pretty much always get the option to skip dialogue and cutscenes whenever we want, but never ever combat or gunfights? Is killing people considered an inherently more worthwhile endeavour than talking to them?! I've never thought about that.

PSqueak

Banned
I was about to be that guy just now and say that not all games should cater to an easy mode, it's not about being a contrarian it's just a fact. I can't play racing games cause I'm terrible at them but I don't want them to make it easier for me. For story driven games I don't mind.. but certain games racing, fighting games.. just no. I'll be labeled a bad guy but what can I say.

ClSzlSU.gif

Good thing this thread is about specifically story driven games.

Also i don't see how easier difficulties are a problem in Fighting games.

Like who gives a fuck if you play arcade, survival or story mode in easy mode? Fighting games are about the multi and community, no one will give a fuck if you play easy mode in SP because that only means you won't develop skill.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Every single RPG needs fastforward and the ability to disable battles. Accessibility options are always good.

What!!? I understand having easy difficulty option but completely disable battles!!? then whats point then!!? isn't she/he better off just watch the game on youtube if story the only thing they want to experience!!?

Design the game from the standpoint of hardcore gamers and then add baby wheels for those who need it. See games like Bayonetta.

Once you start designing stuff from the beginning to be easy and without challenge, then it's shit. A game that doesn't challenge me is a waste of fucking time anyway, since I prefer RL activities for leisure and books/movies for pure narrative. However, I do get there's a sizeable demand for easy experiences, so it's ok to have them if devs add them at the last moments. The other way just tends to end up in shitty HP bloat for high difficulty.

This is especially aggravating me in games with quest markers and compasses, because majority of the time the dialogue fails to tell you where to actually go. Instead, you are just told to go somewhere and there's no fucking way you can find it without a marker.

pagrab

It's because it can hurt how you design enemies/puzzles.

I can understand that it is possible although the idea is that this option is added so the intended experience is not compromised. Also - adding a super easy mode without changing the mechanics seems much easier than adding super hard mode and yet I do not see people having a problem with super hard difficulties.

Gator86

ClSzlSU.gif

But you're missing the point entirely. They're called options. You would just choose easy mode in the racing game. Someone better would choose medium or hard mode. No one is making the game easier for you at the expense of someone else in this scenario.

Do it with whatever you want, but leave Dark Souls the fuck alone.

Goddammit, now they're here.

coiler

Can't get round Platinium games gameplay style. Would have skipped Nier Automata because of the introduction but thanks to the easy mode I could enjoy this superb game!

But you're missing the point entirely. They're called options. You would just choose easy mode in the racing game. Someone better would choose medium or hard mode. No one is making the game easier for you at the expense of someone else in this scenario.

Goddammit, now they're here.

The reason people feel this strongly with Dark Souls is because it makes the game what it is. Without the difficulty, there is literally nothing. You walk around, whack some enemies, they die, and then what? There's almost no dialogue in a Souls game, so it's not about the story. And if you want scenery and open worldness, Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls do it better. You play Dark Souls because of the difficulty.

If there were an easy mode, the very people who want an easy mode would play the game, hate it, slam it, and it would be getting even more unnecessary criticism simply because they're playing a different game - one that simply doesn't "work" because it pleases no-one.

The point is, not all games need an easy mode. As another example, consider something like Super Meat Boy or those other "I Wanna Be The Guy" style games. What exactly is the point of an easy mode? The game exists literally to be hard.

HonMirin

Why the heck would you get upset over this? Why are you against adding easier difficulties?

It doesn't affect you unless you play that difficulty. You don't like it? Simple. Don't access it!

Not everyone has the temperament, patience, time or skill to play hard settings. If it allows more people to enjoy the game/experience, good for them.

This idiotic game difficulty elitism...

Top Bottom