• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East coast GAF, please keep an eye on Hurricane Irma

I don't know how many people here check the hurricane thread which is why I'm making this one, but Irma is something to keep an eye on if you're on the east coast. It's turning into a monster of a hurricane. Nothing is 100% yet but just keep your eyes/ears open on this one. I've personally told everyone I know that lives on the east coast to keep an eye on this storm.

MmHXzYV.gif

WedgeX

Banned
I'll be out of D.C. next weekend...looks like my return will likely be delay. Stay safe east coast-GAF.

Didn't realize were getting another one so soon.

When a bit hurricane season happens, it's not uncommon for the east coast to get hit by 5+ in a single season (though many are TS by the time they hit). I remember the first year I lived in Florida we got hit by 3 alone.

MD here.

I've been tracking this thing in the Harvey thread the last couple days. About to purchase a couple hundred bucks worth of sand bags this week.

trembli0s

Take it from the folks in Houston and SE Texas, it's always better to be prepared.

Buy water now, get ice chests, coolers, the big portable 5 gallon jugs, etc. Buy bread, PB&J, beef jerky, etc.

IF it does look like it will hit you, check the floodplains for your area and the historical record to see if your house is likely to flood. If you can manage the water, remember to stop your bathtub up and fill it with water in case the system goes down.

aceface

It's possible, but it's better to be prepared than not. Hurricane tracking and spaghetti models are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate.

For sure, and it's best to stock up on supplies early. But what I mean is this could make landfall anywhere from Florida to Canada or nowhere at all. Saying "OMG it's heading straight for _____!" is way premature.

Retro

This is a forecast 8-10 days out. It could still curve back out to sea.

Yep. I'll copy and paste what I said in the Hurricane OT;

That's quite a ways out, though. I wouldn't start freaking out yet.
This is definitely the right attitude to have at the moment. I'm not saying nothing will happen, but folks need to realize that these models are looking 10 days out and are fairly inaccurate.

Keep an eye on it, have a plan in place (which you should have already), make sure your emergency kit is up to date (ditto), but don't start panicking just yet. Have a beer or four and enjoy the Labor Day weekend, after which point we'll be about a week out and have a better idea where things are headed (Sandy models were all over the place until ~7 days out and even then there was a lot of uncertainty).

There's literally millions of enormous moving parts directing this thing somewhere along 2096 miles of coastline (in just the US) and thousands of islands in the Caribbean if it even makes landfall. Again, I'm not saying we can ignore it, but 10 days out it's a complete crapshoot and stuff is going to go back and forth on where this thing lands over the next week or so.

Keep an eye on the weather, make sure you have a plan and check your supplies, but don't be surprised if the models go back and forth for the next 5 days or so.

I_D

Windy.com has it landing on the coast of South Carolina.

Either way, prepare for a buttload of rain and wind. It's already large enough at this point that even if it veers back out toward the Atlantic, the East Coast is still going to be seeing serious storms.

Even if there is a low chance of hitting go get a few emergency supplies early because it will be a mess if you wait until the track is more stable

Shit gonna pass by NY by the looks of it.

Last hurrican, I didn't have power for days but I lived in Manhattan at the time. Maybe I'll be less effected this time around.

Ponn

Banned
Florida has deflector shields that work half the time. The only problem is when they work the Carolinas get screwed. Sorry Carolinonians

Chumly

It's possible, but it's better to be prepared than not. Hurricane tracking and spaghetti models are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate.
There's zero predictability 7+ days out. 5-7 it's extremely low predictability. Within 5 days is when you start getting good forecasts.

Retro

Even if there is a low chance of hitting go get a few emergency supplies early because it will be a mess if you wait until the track is more stable

I mean, people who live in coastal regions should be prepared no matter what, this is peak hurricane season. It takes so little effort to have a week's worth of bottled water and non-perishable food on hand from June to October and make sure your weather radio, lanterns and flashlights are charged / have batteries. First Aid kit and a few odds and ends and you're basically done.

The only thing people should be doing the actual week a storm hits is fueling their cars and preparing their property, stuff like that.

FiggyCal

Banned
Irma had me worried because idk if Florida can handle a hurricane right now. It floods in my neighborhood anytime we have a little bit of rain.

Good luck to the folks in the NorthEast.

Ryzaki009

Ugh please don't hit NY I don't need another blackout and I live right next to the river so I definitely don't need any flooding.

DC area here. I've been keeping an eye on it. Granted it's predictions have been swinging between crashing in the Northeast, Mid-atlantic or Florida. Although most models seem to suggest that it will ride up the East Coast so it's more so only a matter of how strong the storm will be when it hits certain areas and how far south it will hit.

Looks like the brunt of it will miss MA... At least I live on a hill so if things go bad I don't think I have to worry about to much flooding, but who knows. Hopefully it will weaken or turn around or something

Linkura

As long as it's out of here (MA) by the 17th, when I leave on a plane for vacation. In our area, we don't really get hit hard. It will be terrible if it hits other parts of the country badly, though. Give the country a damn break after Harvey.

2MF

All the people here talking about specific places it will / won't hit are missing the point.

The point is that you should watch out for it - it's too early to panic, and also too early to be sure it won't hit you.

Just check your preparedness and keep an eye on it.

Retro

Disclaimer: Models are still a week out and there's lots of uncertainty where storms will go this far in advance.

If you live in a hurricane-prone area, you should already have your emergency kit and emergency plan together because Hurricane season started in June (and don't forget to plan for your pets).

If it looks like you're going to be affected, all you can do is keep an eye on the news, keep your gas tank topped off and be ready for when things firm up.

F34R

Disclaimer: Models are still a week out and there's lots of uncertainty where storms will go this far in advance.

If you live in a hurricane-prone area, you should already have your emergency kit and emergency plan together because Hurricane season started in June (and don't forget to plan for your pets).

If it looks like you're going to be affected, all you can do is keep an eye on the news, keep your gas tank topped off and be ready for when things firm up.

I've been preparing over the last few days. I'll be ready sometime tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm in SC.

Dishwalla

Banned
Bouncing back and forth between Norfolk, VA(home) and Orangeburg, South Carolina(family), so yeah watching this thing for two different areas in the southeast.

Sami+

Stay safe everyone. That stupid tropical storm or hurricane or whatever the fuck it was last year knocked out my power for three days and my ex's for a week. Total pain in the ass. Hopefully this one isn't too bad.

Retro

For folks not following the Atlantic Hurricane OT (and really, you should);

Florida now in the cone
gTfulo6.png
South Florida residents: Go get a case or two of bottled water, (Or Gallon jugs) and make sure your gas tanks are full. Now is the time to take preliminary action.

This is good advice, but remember we're still far out and a lot of the models show a northward bend in the near future. Prepare, but don't panic and continue to keep an eye on the storm.

Still have a flight for Orlando on Friday night. Will be watching intently on Wednesday. I think that's when things will be a bit more set on where it'll go. Or at least where Irma likely won't go at that point.

Charleston SC area here. We got Matthew last year. It didn't really manifest. Seems this could hit Florida and we may get part 2.will be watching.

Retro

Another heads up from the Hurricane OT: Florida Governor Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency in advance of Hurricane Irma.

What's the best website to follow the tracking from? We've started preparing in case it hits us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ is gonna give you all the official information, and most of your major weather organizations (Weather channel, Accuweather, Weather Underground, etc.) are either going to pull information directly from NOAA or be very very close to it. You also get the benefit of a fast loading facts-only site vs. a commercial site loaded with adds, videos and hype.

Beyond that, follow the National Hurricane Center and your local NWS office on twitter.

this is sound advice, but publixes are already clearing out too

See above, it's about to get worse.

Top Bottom