• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Nintendo President Can’t Promise Enough Switch Units for Holiday Season

Tripon

Nintendo is well on its way to sell 10 million units of its Switch game console this fiscal year, but the company may still run into supply issues during the holiday season, admitted Nintendo of America president and chief operating officer Reggie Fils-Aime during Variety’s Entertainment and Technology Summit in Los Angeles Thursday.

“Certainly the demand is there, and our supply chain is there” to hit the 10 million goal, he said, but he didn’t want to commit to fulfilling the demand for the coming holiday season. “Are we going to have enough for the holiday? That’s what we are focused on.”

Fils-Aime used his appearance at the conference to stretch that Nintendo does more than just video game consoles. “People think of us as a pure gaming company. We see ourselves as an entertainment company,” he said.

Nintendo is applying the same deliberate approach to new technologies like virtual reality (VR). “It’s technology that we have been looking at literally tens of years,” he said. However, unlike others, Nintendo isn’t ready to jump in heads-first just yet. “There’s not a lot of experiences yet that are truly fun.”

Augmented reality (AR) however is a different beast, he said, pointing to the success of “Pokemon Go.” “We have a lot of experience with AR. The potential for AR is here and now.”

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/nintendo-president-switch-holiday-sales-1202550623/

Neff

Fils-Aime used his appearance at the conference to stretch that Nintendo does more than just video game consoles. “People think of us as a pure gaming company. We see ourselves as an entertainment company,”

LOL this guy

The exact opposite of the statement he's used endless times to differentiate Nintendo from Sony and MS.

This is a little bit depressing for some reasons.The console already missed the big Mario Kart launch and the Splatoon launch,if it misses the Mario Odyssey launch as well then it's just..........

Chindogg

Hopefully once the next iphone's done with their initial shipment they'll be able to pick up on production but damn this is rough for everyone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Havent read the full article but if this:
“Are we going to have enough for the holiday? That’s what we are focused on.”
Is the extent of what he said, then I feel like we shouldnt focus too much on it.

Based on the strong demand + stock situation this entire year, no one should expect Nintendo to be able to fulfill holiday demand, no matter how many more units they're able to produce.

Wow, thank god I didn't wait on the Switch and got it in April. Could be the Wii all over again (before someone gets it twisted, I'm talking strictly about when Wii had a huge parts shortage that lasted 2 years).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No surprise here...the question is just how bad it will get.

LOL this guy

The exact opposite of the statement he's used endless times to differentiate Nintendo from Sony and MS.

...erm no ? Even Iwata back then always said Nintendo is competing with all kind of entertainment options and often refused to directly address competition in the console space.

Nintendo Entertainment System,
i mean a large portion of the NES, DS and Wii money were made because they attracted non-gamer.

emperor_ing

Neo Member
The stock shortages are disappointing for those who really want one. Glad I bought mien at launch. I was in Japan recently and one of the Yodobashi Camera stores I was in had a sign up saying "The next shipment is undecided". Here's hoping the shortages will be resolved soon enough.

They are struggling all the time since launch. So far I see no indication that the situation improved significantly. Christmas will be a mess.

What else could he say but that they're focused on that? Since we don't know what the demand is going to be like, we can't know how much supply is just enough to meet demand but without stuffing the channels. He's just saying they're trying to meet demand but we never know.

Yazzees

Glad I fell backwards into finding one off the shelf this week. Wonder what scalper prices are gonna look like come November/December.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
LOL this guy

Reggie is amazing, now I do not even to actually make an effort to make a point why Switch need more multimedia/non-gaming features :).

13ruce

Banned
LOL this guy

I just love how good of a PR spinner he is, fortunately smarter then average people see through his silver pr tongue.

Even though I really can't afford it right now I might just buy one to ensure I get my Christmas present...

It's bad enough getting one in the UK at the moment (and I hear that's one of the better places!), with second hand retailers like CeX bringing the price of the base unit up to £320.

I mean that's not what Reggie said but title's gonna title.

It's going to happen regardless of what Reggie says though.

They are struggling all the time since launch. So far I see no indication that the situation improved significantly. Christmas will be a mess.

The Media Create thread shows clear stock improvement in Japan since the Splatoon 2 launch. I'm sure they held back units to meet predicted Splatoon 2 and Monster Hunter XX demand, but it has been a mostly-sustained marked improvement for over a month (I say mostly because one week dipped inexplicably).

They might not have enough for every single person who wants to buy a Switch, but the holiday will be the single most biggest allocation of Switch units to date, even larger than launch.

Nintendo was at, what, 4.7m a month or so ago? It needs to sell 5.3m units from not until mid-March 2018 to hit its 10m unit sold quota.

Mario Odyssey will herald a huge influx of devices for the holiday, but also voracious demand across all territories. NA is Nintendo's biggest market territory so they'll probably get the most units.

Deeke[VRZ];248266817 said:
They might not have enough for every single person who wants to buy a Switch, but the holiday will be the single most biggest allocation of Switch units to date, even larger than launch.

Nintendo was at, what, 4.7m a month or so ago? It needs to sell 5.3m units from not until mid-March 2018 to hit its 10m unit sold quota.

Mario Odyssey will herald a huge influx of devices for the holiday, but also voracious demand across all territories. NA is Nintendo's biggest market territory so they'll probably get the most units.

Well yeah, supply is going to grow significantly, but so is demand.

Also, the 10 million unit forecast for the FY doesn't account for the the launch month amount of 2.74 million. Switch numbers are likely around 6 million right now. They were at 4.7 million over two months ago (June 30th).

Mr Swine

Banned
Hopefully once the next iphone's done with their initial shipment they'll be able to pick up on production but damn this is rough for everyone.

So a 6 month breathing period before they are back in the low numbers again? That doesn't sound good if they want to sell a ton of switches at the end of the year

Nintendo: Prease Unrer Strand

Me:

s8k5gwvy8e3qkfnqbr5v.jpg

I've seen at least one switch the last couple times I've been to Target. Hell I even saw a neon one at best buy last week late in the day.

jariw

That's why you get it now if you can. Once October hits it's a fucking wrap.

Shit, that's why I got it in April when there was nothing to play outside of Zelda. Still not much to play, but I gotta be able to play Mario day one. I'm glad I got one when I did.

Top Bottom