• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Claremont Chief: Police investigate 'incident' that left boy with rope burns on neck

Beefy

CLAREMONT — An 8-year-old Claremont boy had to be flown to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center after an older teenage boy allegedly hung him from a tree by a rope placed around his neck, according to a Facebook post by the boy's mother.

Cassandra Merlin posted a photo of her son's injuries with the caption, ”So my son is being flown to Dartmouth after a 14 year old kid decided to hang him from a tree. I don't care if this was a so called accident or not. My son almost died because of some little sh** teenage kids."

Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase would not comment on the specifics of the case, only that they were still investigating an incident that happened last Monday.

claremont_kid.jpg

This shit has made me feel sick.

Here's an article with more info from Rawstory

I think we need clearer details as the word "hang" has multiple connotations. Did they try to kill the kid or is it some stunt gone wrong? The mom calling it an "accident" makes me think its the latter. Glad the kid is alive.

They tried to hang him, on purpose. I've been hoping this would get national attention but so far it doesn't seem like many places are talking about it. Beyond disgusting.

I think we need clearer details as the word "hang" has multiple connotations. Did they try to kill the kid or is it some stunt gone wrong?

I dont think we're going to get any details. The article mentions that the police wont say anything due to both parties being minors.

There's so many questions though..... Thankfully the kid seems to be ok aside from some rope burns, could have been much worse.

Cvie

I think we need clearer details as the word "hang" has multiple connotations. Did they try to kill the kid or is it some stunt gone wrong? The mom calling it an "accident" makes me think its the latter. Glad the kid is alive.

the "so called" clearly indicates she doesn't think it was accidental

The teens tried to hang an 8 year old biracial kid. No need to defend them here. Anyone who says just wait til the old racists die need to see this as evidence that shit isn't going away. And of course, since the perps are white the cops only care about making sure this doesn't affect them for the rest of their lives. If it was black teens hanging a white kid, they'd be paraded in front of the media and tried as adults.

The teens tried to hang an 8 year old biracial kid. No need to defend them here. Anyone who says just wait til the old racists die need to see this as evidence that shit isn't going away. And of course, since the perps are white the cops only care about making sure this doesn't affect them for the rest of their lives. If it was black teens hanging a white kid, they'd be paraded in front of the media and tried as adults.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending anyone. I just want more information as its a crazy story. If this was just a racist teenager trying to kill the kid, how did the 8 year old get out of it at all?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Accident?!

This is a hate crime no question. Blood is boiling here.

America in 2017.. fuck.

Mr. X

Punish these little ducks and their parents. They learned it from somewhere.

Edit:

Chase said if the investigation did not involve juveniles, he would be more open to speak about the case.

“We don’t want things to follow kids throughout their life,” he said.

Welp, police won't be doing shit about it.

Asking if it's a stunt gone wrong is very close to victim blaming.

Let me be clear, I'm not blaming the 8 year old at all. The mothers wording was slightly vague to me. If that was my son and what people in the thread are claiming is true, I wouldn't say the word "accident" I would say these fucks tried to kill my son.

Always interesting to see who gets to be a "kid" when police and other authorities get involved.

This is horrifying. I'm so glad the victim isn't dead.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Do we know that for sure? I mean, my guess is 'yes' - but I like to cross my t's and dot my i's

Edit: raw story link clarifies it was a group of white teens

Here's an article with more info from Rawstory
WHAT THE FUCK.

According to the victim’s grandmother Lorrie Slattery, he was playing with a group of children and teens when they began to taunt him with racist epithets and throw sticks and rocks at him.

Someone stood on a picnic table and the group wrapped a rope from a nearby tire swing around the boy’s throat, then kicked him off the table.

The victim swung back and forth three times before he was able to free himself. None of the teens came to his aid.

jwk94

Wait where are you guys getting that the kid is biracial? The Facebook profile photo looks like a white couple.

Edit:
Just saw her other post.

I hope that kid is gonna be OK. Isn't this the second time something like this has happened this year?

Wait where are you guys getting that the kid is biracial? The Facebook profile photo looks like a white couple.
Says so in some of the coverage:

Last Monday wasn’t the first time the neighborhood teenagers used racial slurs against the boy, Slattery said, leading her to believe her grandson was targeted because he is biracial. She said she heard the term “lynched” was used during the incident.
http://www.vnews.com/Family-of-Boy-Says-Older-Teens-Deliberately-Hung-Him-Claremont-NH-12308069

Arrest the 14 year old and try him as an adult for 2nd degree murder.

Arrest all the other's who watched and did nothing. Charge them as accessories.

They got it from their parents. Send the teens to juve and put the parents in probation while looking into child endangerment charges.
Not necessarily. I've had two kids do racists things in my classroom this semester (yes, 1 month in), and when I talked to the parents they were completely shocked. I had long conversations with the parents, and it was really clear to me that they weren't putting on a facade. There's a new generation of young white kids that are being radicalized through the internet. These parents should be more careful about what they let their kids do on the internet, but without further evidence I think people need to understand kids are largely raised by the internet these days.

Derwind

What "stunt" involves hanging soneone by their neck?

Not necessarily. I've had two kids do racists things in my classroom this semester (yes, 1 month in), and when I talked to the parents they were completely shocked. I had long conversations with the parents, and it was really clear to me that they weren't putting on a facade. There's a new generation of young white kids that are being radicalized through the internet. These parents should be more careful about what they let their kids do on the internet, but without further evidence I think people need to understand kids are largely raised by the internet these days.
good point. Somehow I forgot about that. As if the 6,000 post pewdiepie thread can be missed. That is a generation I know not enough about, but seeing them mobilize to protect people like him do make it clear that the Internet is doing a lot of the child rearing these days. Though blame still lies squarely on the parents for that too. I know several parents that meter tv and intenrnet usage by their children in their homes...that have a pretty good understanding of what they're letting into their homes...and I know others that do not. I'm going to suggest that it's important that everyone know what your children are doing and watching. It's been true every generation.

1) Used a rope
2) Used racial slurs before and during incident
3) Were overheard to say the word "lynch" during the incident
4) Actually hung a young boy of color for some time before he freed himself from their makeshift noose

"Accident"

He said that unlike the adult judicial system, which is aimed at punishment, the juvenile justice system is designed to correct and rehabilitate aberrant behavior.

While I appreciate the sentiment about rehabilitation, factually, the adult judicial system is also supposed to be about rehabilitation. It's very clear from the language chosen by the officer that the "it" or "this" that he doesn't want following these juveniles around for the rest of their adult lives is that they briefly attempted to lynch a young man for shits and giggles. Hopefully these kids get the help they need, and they're kept far, far away from the victim until they're all adults.

Remember, it's not these filthy little delinquents and their parents keeping racism alive, it's Black people and SJWs who get mad when a White man calls someone a nigger.

I live close to Claremont. Hope they catch the dude, sounds like he's a real fucked-up asshole.

Honestly, the nonchalant reaction from the police chief is almost as bad. Sounds like a fucking racist ass town (more than your average American municipality anyways) that Black children shouldnt be raised in.

Top Bottom