• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robonauts |OT| WALL-E Galaxy

jariw

QEKPKVQ.png

(Switch, PS4)

"Jump between planets, fight weird creatures and save the galaxy alone or with a friend!"

IwhyFWS.jpg

Description:
"The action combines familiar arcade shooting gameplay with a unique possibility to switch gravity. Colorful graphics appeal to both younger and adult players while first-class music by Simon Viklund makes the adventure feel even more epic."

jCiTcxh.jpg

Developer: Qubic Games

Genre: 2D arcade shooter

Release date:
September 15, 2017 (Nintendo Switch)
September 19, 2017 (PS4)

Game Modes:
  • 1-player campaign (12 planetary systems)
  • 2-player campaign (same campaign as 1-player)
  • Hunting Grounds - Separate 2-player mode

Difficulty settings: Casual or Hard

Controls:
  • Move (D-pad or left stick)
  • Jump
  • Switch Planet
  • Weapon 1
  • Weapon 2

Music: epic soundtrack by Simon Viklund (Bionic Commando Rearmed, Payday 2, Pan-Pan, etc)

Achievements: 40 in-game achievements (Switch).

Gameplay Trailer (Switch)

Cinematic Launch Trailer (Switch)

REVIEWS
DailyNintendo.nl (Dutch) (9.2/10)
"Robonauts is simply one of the best games available for the Switch, and can easily be shared between The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and ARMS."

The Gaming Couple (9/10)

jariw

Been interested since I first heard. I'll be purchasing on the Switch once it's up.

It's up on both NoA and EU eShops now. The first 2 weeks, there is a 10% introductory discount BTW.

This looks really cool. I'd like to read some reviews or impressions first before jumping on board though.

Any specifics you want to know about? I've played a little bit now.

Looking forward to this looks really good
They also released a great cinematic trailer very Wall-E like

That's the back story trailer in the game, that you see when you start the game.

jariw

Just your general impressions would be great.

Here are some random thoughts:

I'm on planetary system 6 (of 12 now), and the concepts has started to evolve. Each planetary system (=mission) has a specific task (like: kill all enemies, destroy certain targets, defeat a boss). The pause screen is a "Tactic View", where you can see the whole planetary system and see targets and enemy locations.

The game controls great, such as the jumps feels spot on. The aiming is basic, but it feels intuitive. There are many different weapons that you collect by killing enemies. You loose weapons after some use, so use them well.

There are a few tricks you can do. For example, you can shoot enemies from close-by planets if you jump+shoot. Or you can hide for dangerous enemies on planets with non-plain surfaces (some planets are designed almost like a 2D platformer).

Enemies are varied and well defined so far. Each has special counter moves that differ between the enemy types.

Since the missions demands some strategy, I'd say replayability is high for the missions. The missions aren't randomly generated, so you can easily improve your own high score. The game doesn't seem to have online high scores.

The voice acting isn't in English (but with English subtitles). Don't know if it's in a fake language or from a language from the developer's own country. It doesn't really bother me at all.

There seems to be a glitch with the Achievements. When I reopened the game, none of my previously completed achievements were marked.

The music is absolutely fantastic, and the production values are very high for an indie game.

I haven't encountered any frame rate issues yet. Seems to be solid 60 fps. Have only played it docked so far.

I have tested 2-player just a little bit as well, but those modes seem to be solid local multiplayer fun.

Here are some random thoughts:

I'm on planetary system 6 (of 12 now), and the concepts has started to evolve. Each planetary system (=mission) has a specific task (like: kill all enemies, destroy certain targets, defeat a boss). The pause screen is a "Tactic View", where you can see the whole planetary system and see targets and enemy locations.

The game controls great, such as the jumps feels spot on. The aiming is basic, but it feels intuitive. There are many different weapons that you collect by killing enemies. You loose weapons after some use, so use them well.

There are a few tricks you can do. For example, you can shoot enemies from close-by planets if you jump+shoot. Or you can hide for dangerous enemies on planets with non-plain surfaces (some planets are designed almost like a 2D platformer).

Enemies are varied and well defined so far. Each has special counter moves that differ between the enemy types.

Since the missions demands some strategy, I'd say replayability is high for the missions. The missions aren't randomly generated, so you can easily improve your own high score. The game doesn't seem to have online high scores.

The voice acting isn't in English (but with English subtitles). Don't know if it's in a fake language or from a language from the developer's own country. It doesn't really bother me at all.

There seems to be a glitch with the Achievements. When I reopened the game, none of my previously completed achievements were marked.

The music is absolutely fantastic, and the production values are very high for an indie game.

I haven't encountered any frame rate issues yet. Seems to be solid 60 fps. Have only played it docked so far.

I have tested 2-player just a little bit as well, but those modes seem to be solid local multiplayer fun.

Thanks! Looks like a purchase for me.

jariw

How much is it? Looks really darn cool, for sure.

First 2 weeks are 10% off:
€13.49 / £12.14 / $13.49USD until 29th September, then €14.99 / £13.49 / $14.99USD

BTW, I'm now on mission 7 ("Rescue Mission") and things starts to get really interesting. My task is to defend 3 stations located on three different planets, at the same time.

Added the first reviews I've found on the 'net now, to the OT:

DailyNintendo.nl (Dutch) (9.2/10)
"Robonauts is simply one of the best games available for the Switch, and can easily be shared between The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and ARMS.")

The Gaming Couple (9/10)

Top Bottom