• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think we'll see narrative-based 'Battle Royale' games with the advent of PUBG?

FluxWaveZ

Ever since I saw Battle Royale several years ago, it always astounded me that such a simple and straightforward concept—yet brilliant—was never really explored much in video games. Lo and behold, the first standalone game to properly focus on this simple concept with PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has found massive success. And now there's seemingly an undercurrent of other companies racing to do the same.

Thing is, PUBG obviously executes as it should on the mechanical aspect of "Battle Royale." But the narrative is still untapped (players creating/experiencing their own is completely different). Unique characters—potentially having a history with each other—isolated and forced to kill one another is the other half of the coin; it's a big part of the reason the "BR" movie is so enjoyable. Isn't it strange that the only thing that comes to mind is the Danganronpa series? The visual novel genre—one you'd think would have lots of stories like this—completely lacks in "Battle Royale."

I dunno, I've always felt that "Battle Royale" within the framework of a modern Telltale game or in the vein of Until Dawn would have a lot of potential, and would have been obvious by now.

Does anyone consider Halo's Firefight as a Battle Royale type of game? Or does it have to be PvP FFA in a kind of Big Team Battle map to qualify?

The genre doesn't really seem new to me tbh.

FluxWaveZ

Deeke[VRZ];249064696 said:
Does anyone consider Halo's Firefight as a Battle Royale type of game? Or does it have to be PvP FFA in a kind of Big Team Battle map to qualify?

The genre doesn't really seem new to me tbh.

To me, "Battle Royale" is exactly that. PvP. FFA. Isolated location. Random assortment of weapons. A relatively large number of people involved.

Very little or no focus on PvE. Very little or no focus on crafting, if we're talking about the mechanics side of the genre. PUBG got it right: basically just do what the movie did, and make it its own game. And that's why it's exploded.

Tcab96

I certainly hope so. I want my hunger game-esque battle royale. Maybe add a similar element we saw in the hunger games involving sponsors whose personalities are randomized but you need to earn the favor of prior to the game starting.

Maybe the story changes based on who you kill. That boy? That girl's brother. Now she's hunting your ass.

PSqueak

Banned
Would require a cast of defined characters with backstories and skillsets and tons of in game dialogue.

It actually would be quite awesome.

KarmaCow

The thing is that there has already been a trend in movies and novels of battle royale type scenarios. There are even games that tried to capitalize on that on that trend and nothing has caught on like PUBG. If anything it shows the opposite to me, that people don't care about or possibly want stronger narrative, characterization, or even context for the game.

FluxWaveZ

The thing is that there has already been a trend in movies and novels of battle royale type scenarios. There are even games that tried to capitalize on that on that trend and nothing has caught on like PUBG. If anything it shows the opposite to me, that people don't care about or possibly want stronger narrative, characterization, or even context for the game.

But what are those games? Mods for games that weren't designed with that in mind in the first place? Game modes like in Ark which incorporate elements outside of a straightforward "Battle Royale"? Same goes for The Culling.

I don't know about novels that have tried to crib the idea but, looking at The Hunger Games, I feel that it can be a compelling concept for many people. As long as it's properly executed. Danganronpa has certainly earned a lot of its (niche) success, largely due to this.

I mean, Battle Royale and The Hunger Games are massively popular for a reason. That story structure is extremely enticing to a huge audience, and inspired this gameplay structure in the first place.

It'd be difficult, but I'm sure *somebody* could come up with something that blends this style of gameplay with the multiplayer action. Maybe some sort of frame story that provides context for your own character in between matches, or something. If you make the characters hot interesting enough, it could be huge.

Lucumo

Just take some aspects from Warcraft 3 RPG maps. Like, everyone starts as some character and has different choices regarding allying with other characters. Add some co-op action where you can work together to get some weapons (crafting or attacking neutral stuff? - though, weapons shouldn't be OP in the first place, back to actual Battle Royale). Balance it, so that less people working together also have the option to get some good gear. And then it depends on who you want to attack and when. In the end, one faction but also a single character can win.

Well, something like that...

Pure cynicism dictates that, yes, we will get all sorts of Battlegrounds clones soon enough.

But tech is going to limit what a lot of them are going to be able to do, so I don't think it's going to get too crazy any time soon.

Top Bottom