• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Franchises Where The First Movie WASN'T The Best

I'll get the obvious one out of the way:

You can argue which Friday the 13th was the best (I'd go with Jason Lives), but I think it's pretty universally accepted that part 1 isn't the all time best, especially sans Jason.

tumblr_onsttr2OT61vpz9bio1_400.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
Night of the Dead was a classic, but Dawn was the perfection.

I personally also enjoy Day more. I appreciate and respect Night though

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Critters movies started decently enough but the sequels really ramped everything up to a properly insane level.

tumblr_mz46p5UAIq1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Jules

Neo Member

You can argue which Friday the 13th was the best (I'd go with Jason Lives), but I think it's pretty universally accepted that part 1 isn't the all time best, especially sans Jason.

Totally agree with you on this, however, i'm super excited to watch Friday the 13th on the big screen this Friday the 13th!

Off the top of my head:

Halloween
Saw
Evil Dead
Paranormal Activity
Final Destination
[REC]
VHS
Night of the Living Dead
Child's Play...maybe

My respective favorites for those franchises are:
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Saw II
Evil Dead (2013)
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Final Destination 3
[REC] 2
VHS 2
Dawn of the Dead
Curse of Chucky...maybe

I don't agree at all. I feel like the fact that the original DOESN'T have Jason is what makes it the best of the franchise.

gforguava

A Nightmare On Elm Street (3: Dream Warriors)
Friday the 13th (2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 would all be ahead of the original)
Hellraiser (Hellbound)
Prom Night (Hello Mary Lou)

In fact I would say for horror franchises it is probably rarer for the first to be the best.

Sephzilla

Freddy vs Jason is probably my favorite out of both of those franchises. I dunno, I just had a ton of fun watching it

In terms of individual movies I enjoy Part 6 the most and Nightmare 3 the most. Although I have a soft spot for New Nightmare

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I like reboot TCM better than the original! There.. there i said it! I finally fucking said it.

I thought you were implying Part 2 was better than the original.

I still think you're slightly wrong, but not insanely, over the top, completely and utterly wrong.

EDIT: You are not the original poster. My point remains, but was directed at the other poster.

Tokubetsu

Hellraiser is a bit of a weird one. I think the first one is the best all around film but the second is one of the visually stunning and imaginative horror movies. Only thing that comes close to it in that regards is probably something like The Cell or The Cube. Even then you could argue they were probably heavily influenced by it imo.

Overall though I think Hellbound is weaker than the first.

zeemumu

Bride, Curse, and Cult are better than the first Child's Play

Origin if Evil is better than Ouija

Creation is better than the first Annabelle

Purge Anarchy and Election Year are better than the first Purge

Gremlins 2 is debatable

There are at the very least more entertaining Paranormal Activity films than the first

phanphare

Banned
Freddy vs Jason is probably my favorite out of both of those franchises. I dunno, I just had a ton of fun watching it

In terms of individual movies I enjoy Part 6 the most and Nightmare 3 the most. Although I have a soft spot for New Nightmare

freddy vs. jason was fan service done right. loved that movie, was an amazing experience in the theater too

I'd put Nightmare 1 and 3 as equal so I'm not sure it qualifies

my pick is Child's Play. the second one is my favorite and tbh I think Curse is right there with it.

Gremlins 2 is debatable

Gremlins (the first one) is more of a fantasy movie, not really horror. Gremlins 2 is a comedy.

Ithil

My criticism of Freddy vs Jason is that the lead girl sucks. Friday and Nightmare have both had good final girls so there's no excuse. This wouldn't matter a bit if two thirds of the film didn't revolve around her rather than Freddy/Jason antics.

Thankfully said antics are so great that the film is still lots of fun. The final brawl is one of the highpoints in either franchise.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
You best back this up.

I've always felt that TCM 2 is the better movie. Not necessarily a better horror movie, but its a movie I enjoy watching more. Dennis Hopper is fantastic, and in full blown scenery chewing mode. Choptop is by far the best family member thats not Leatherface. Dennis Hopper's chainsaw fight with Leatherface. Slim doing the saw dance at the end. I just love everything about that movie. Also, the Breakfast Club parody poster is a top tier movie poster.

phanphare

Banned
Nah, those are the legit good movies but 2, 4 and 5 are still dumb fun. The 6th one is utter garbage though. I think its the 6th one. The one with Breckin Meyer

yeah that's 6

god that movie was bad

I do love 4 and 5 though. I love the weird shift that franchise took even if it didn't always work.

Ithil

Nah, those are the legit good movies but 2, 4 and 5 are still dumb fun. The 6th one is utter garbage though. I think its the 6th one. The one with Breckin Meyer

Freddy's Dead is just a total farce, and not in a funny way, an embarrassing way. The remake also blows, zero energy to anything and the most "horror movie script" characters I've seen in years.

SeanC

Damn, should I give Annabelle Creation and the Ouja sequel a shot? Seems others dig them, and I really did not like the originals (especially Annabelle).

The first Final Destination movie is one of the weaker entries, but I can't remember which one of the sequels I really liked. I remember liking one a lot. Is the 3rd one the one with the rollercoaster? Holy fuck at that scene, better than anything in the original.

Top Bottom