• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Review Thread

Sterok

Metacritic

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5

And so Fire Emblem Warriors, as a game that's all about the characters, is a near on perfect realisation of both franchises. It is so razor-focused on giving players the ability to take control of some of their favourite heroes from the Fire Emblem universe that it's almost pure fanservice. Not in the ”bikini and boobs" sense of the word, but the literal meaning – as a service to series and genre fans. As such, it won't resonate to anyone beyond the Fire Emblem faithful, but it is the best licensed Warriors game of all, and it does easily eclipse Koei's last Warriors collaboration with Nintendo - the also excellent Hyrule Warriors.

Critical Hit - 8/10

Fire Emblem Warriors does a better job of blending two disparate series than Hyrule Warriors did. Fire Emblem's ethos remains intact, perfectly accentuating, and enhancing Warrior's' patented hack-and-slash gameplay.

God is a Geek 8/10

Not just a great game to bear the Fire Emblem name but also one of the best Warriors games out there.
Game Rant - 4/5

Fire Emblem Warriors may not convince gamers still unsold on the Warriors formula, but it's sure to come pretty close after expertly implementing trademark mechanics of the renown Nintendo series. Add in local co-op multiplayer, nods to the source material's permadeath option via Classic Mode, and even a History Mode that allows fans to replay key battles from the franchise's past and it's clear that developers Team Ninja and Omega Force were able to deliver some impeccable fan service to Fire Emblem fans.

Trusted Reviews - 4/5

Fire Emblem Warriors is superb. It successfully translates the beloved RPG series without sacrificing any elements for which I have adored the series. With countless characters, a robust upgrade system and plenty of modes on offer, you'll sink hours into this stylish hack ‘n' slasher without even knowing it.

Nintendo Life - 8/10

Despite their enduring fame and commercial success the Musou games have, in the past, come dangerously close to self-parody, and it's easy to see why critics of the series consider them to be little more than repetitive button-bashers. Thankfully Fire Emblem Warriors is anything but a mindless brawler; it combines enjoyable combat with real-time tactics, faithfully paying tribute to the two franchises it fuses together. Musou fans will love the fantasy setting and blade-based action, while Fire Emblem followers will appreciate the strategic wrinkles that series adds to proceedings. While the story is largely forgettable there's plenty of fan-service for Fire Emblem lovers here; granted, the cast list focuses on the more recent outings on the 3DS, but we imagine that DLC will redress the balance moving forward. Despite the addition of deeper tactics we fear that Fire Emblem Warriors may still be too samey for those who have struggled with Koei Tecmo's franchise in the past, but everyone else should definitely give this a try; it may well be one of the best Musou outings yet seen.

RPG Site - 8/10

Basically, if you're a fan of the modern Fire Emblem titles, this is just the fan spin-off for you. Fire Emblem Warriors has some good gameplay to prop the experience up, but the focus here is to play as your favorite Fates and Awakening characters in a new setting and genre. If you don't know these characters or don't like them, Fire Emblem Warriors will be more of a case of ”what could have been" than what the game actually is. This is a title made for a certain fanbase, and those of that fanbase will undoubtedly enjoy what Koei Tecmo has on offer.

Switch Player - 4/5

Fire Emblem Warriors has an incredible amount of depth and an awful lot of content to whittle away your spare time. It is let down slightly by its weak story and repetitive nature but there is still a lot of enjoyment to be had. Fans of the series will no doubt get a kick out seeing their beloved characters in a new way and, whilst it might be a little daunting for some, newcomers will be rewarded if they have the time and patience to soak up everything the game has to offer.

Switchitalia.it - 8/10

What surprises the most is how adherent this game is to the original Fire Emblem series, with its support dialogues, the permadeaths, the strategic approach to the different missions in each level, the weapon triangle relationship and many other IS elements. This alongside a very refined technical proposal in both handheld and tv mode. Just an anticipation to the "real" Fire Emblem game that will hit the Switch next year, but a very good one.

Pause Resume - 4/5

Easy to play with a satisfying, if over-simplistic, battle system but Fire Emblem Warriors does a good job of balancing a game that can be played by newcomers to Dynasty Warriors-style games, veterans of Fire Emblem or newcomers to both.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10

Like its Hyrulean brethren, Fire Emblem Warriors is a joyous action packed romp through hordes of faceless enemies in the company of some well-loved characters and all the trappings of a Fire Emblem game. It's not going to convince anyone who's unsure about the well-worn Warriors template, and it's far from being a technical showcase for the Switch, but it is raw, unadulterated fun packed with bags of fan service.

COGconnected - 78/100

Overall, Fire Emblem Warriors does well in combining elements from the two series it combines. The story, although predictable, does an excellent job of incorporating the characters from the different titles and having them interact together. The game performs well both in docked and handheld modes, with strong voice acting throughout. While the game is on the easy side, the game has a lot of content to offer, and fans of the Fire Emblem series will feel that the developers have done the series justice with their take.

Wccftech - 7.5/10

Despite all the complaints though, I can't help but recommend Fire Emblem Warriors to Warriors fans. If you enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, you'll enjoy this just as much, and if you're not really a Warriors fan, then this probably won't convince you, even if you adore Fire Emblem.

Cubed3 - 7/10

Despite making the most sense out of all Warriors crossovers so far, Fire Emblem Warriors hasn't quite lived up to its potential after the content-heavy Hyrule Warriors. Some questionable character omissions and a lack of modes, as well as an extremely subpar core narrative, is offset by relying on past scenarios in the History Mode. Fans of both sets of franchises will surely get good enjoyment out of this, though, as the strategic elements of Nintendo's long-running series meshes perfectly with the real-time combat of Koei Tecmo's property, creating one of the best Warriors entries, whereas it falls short of expectations as a spinoff of the RPG series.

Pocket Gamer - 7/10

Fire Emblem Warriors tries to blend together two distinct franchises, and it almost manages to pull it off

Gamespot - 6/10

Fire Emblem Warriors doesn't radically change the formula of the two-decade-old Warriors franchise, nor is it concerned with attempting to do so. At best, it's a decent vehicle for Fire Emblem's characters, a chance to flex their muscles in a new venue without the limitations of turn-based combat holding their abilities back. There are signs of potential left unrealized, and the thought of what a Warriors game with truly dramatic character relationships and permadeath could have been lingers. For now that remains out of reach as Fire Emblem Warriors is yet another collaboration where Omega Force's tendencies dominate the finished product.

Metro - 4/10

Fire Emblem has the potential to make a great partner, but this badly made and painfully simplistic crossover is as disappointingly dumb as all the other Dynasty Warriors games.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Those who are able to cultivate a resilience or blind spot for these micro-management niggles will be left with perhaps the most joyous and textured musou game yet. Fire Emblem not only fits Koei Tecmo's structures with unmatched elegance, its rollover systems enrich and improve the design in a way that, perhaps, could not be bettered by any other crossover, Nintendo-born or otherwise.

GameXplain

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Metro reviewer sounds like they just don't like warrior games...

People who don't like a genre should not review things in that genre.

Anyway, I canceled my preorder for this but maybe I'll pick it up sometime next year. There's just too many great games out nowadays, and this game isn't really a great game. I would have loved to have had this game a few months ago, but this fall? Meh...

It does sound like it’s technically better than Hyrule Warriors in most ways, but I still think FE Characters don’t have nearly as much draw as Nintendo thinks they do.

With the end of the year so busy, I think I’ll wait? Maybe there’s Legends release eventually

While I do think Musou games are mediocre at best, maybe don’t get the guy that hates musou games to review a musou.

How is it in 2017 we still have review outlets letting people who always through dynasty warriors is shitty reviewing dynasty warrior games? I feel the statue of limitations on "well this review is for people who are in a similar boat" died like a decade ago with this franchise.

Seems like it’s a pretty good game. Hopefully it pulls me in like Hyrule Warriors did.

Yeah no fuck that Metro review. The fact that he threw in every DW game to shit on says all I need to know.

Metro - 4/10

"Fire Emblem has the potential to make a great partner, but this badly made and painfully simplistic crossover is as disappointingly dumb as all the other Dynasty Warriors games."
Really..... lolol.. WTH...

It does sound like it’s technically better than Hyrule Warriors in most ways, but I still think FE Characters don’t have nearly as much draw as Nintendo thinks they do.

With the end of the year so busy, I think I’ll wait? Maybe there’s Legends release eventually

While I do think Musou games are mediocre at best, maybe don’t get the guy that hates musou games to review a musou.
I doubt Nintendo thinks Fire Emblem characters have near the same draw then Zelda characters.

People who don't like a genre should not review things in that genre.

Anyway, I canceled my preorder for this but maybe I'll pick it up sometime next year. There's just too many great games out nowadays, and this game isn't really a great game. I would have loved to have had this game a few months ago, but this fall? Meh...

Eh, I think it's good to have those sorts of reviews. It gives some perspective for others who don't typically enjoy these games; it lets them know that this particular title won't be up their alley, either.

I've never played a FE game, but I want to. Reading that there are key battles you can replay makes me want to wait to pick this up after I've run through a couple of the games.

patchday

Still on the fence with this game. Mario Odyssey comes out a week after this and I know my friends are getting it so obviously my money is leaning in that direction

. It's a thin narrative that leads to plenty of awkward exchanges and cliche events. And though this may be par for the course for the Warriors series, Fire Emblem games are typically heralded for their captivating stories and deep characters, so it's hard not to be a little disappointed to see very little of that transition over to this experimental outing.

Has the gamespot reviewer played awakening and fates

Eh, I think it's good to have those sorts of reviews. It gives some perspective for others who don't typically enjoy these games; it lets them know that this particular title won't be up their alley, either.
True. Its Not a bad thing for a non DW fan to review DW. I think the real issue is this person has a very clear bias, and literally shits on all DWgames in his review.

patchday

Fire Emblem Warriors is superb. It successfully translates the beloved RPG series without sacrificing any elements for which I have adored the series. With countless characters, a robust upgrade system and plenty of modes on offer, you’ll sink hours into this stylish hack ‘n’ slasher without even knowing it.

Dang that sounds promising

commish

What in the world...

Well, people really will defend anything on GAF :p

If you hate racing games, chances are, you won't be reading Gran Turismo reviews. I certainly won't be reading multiple GT reviews, hoping to come across a review by someone who hates racing games like me. The whole idea is just silly.

True. Its Not a bad thing for a non DW fan to review DW. I think the real issue is this person has a very clear bias, and literally shits on all DWgames in his review.

If you are new to something, then I'm okay with that. This guy clearly hates DW and everything about the entire genre. He makes that pretty clear.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hey, this is my review:

http://www.switchitalia.it/2017/10/18/fire-emblem-warriors-2/

Switchitalia.it: 8/10

What surprises the most is how adherent this game is to the original Fire Emblem series, with its support dialogues, the permadeaths, the strategic approach to the different missions in each level, the weapon triangle relationship and many other IS elements. This alongside a very refined technical proposal in both handheld and tv mode. Just an anticipation to the "real" Fire Emblem game that will hit the Switch next year, but a very good one.

ohlawd

expected scored for a musou. looking forward to this on Friday

this month is so fucking nuts. Etrian Odyssey V just came out, this on Friday, Mario Odyssey next Friday. I have fucking midterms next week. HELP

Kinsei

Banned
What in the world...

Well, people really will defend anything on GAF :p

If you hate racing games, chances are, you won't be reading Gran Turismo reviews. I certainly won't be reading multiple GT reviews, hoping to come across a review by someone who hates racing games like me. The whole idea is just silly.

If you are new to something, then I'm okay with that. This guy clearly hates DW and everything about the entire genre. He makes that pretty clear.

If you love Fire Emblem but hate musou games you might read reviews of FE:W to see if it's different enough from other musou games for you to enjoy. Having a review by a person that hates musou games is valuable in that situation.

Marcel

Gamespot said:
Fire Emblem games are typically heralded for their captivating stories and deep characters

pJJTs55.gif

Just looked at Hyrule Warriors scores. This seems like its gonna be about 5 points off from that, so its clear Im probably gonna enjoy it. Hopefully the season pass is as good as Hyrule Warriors.

Camjo-Z

I'm a big Musou fan but I find it hard to get too upset by reviewers who don't like it. When Metro says something like this...

Fire Emblem Warriors' combat is pitifully simplistic, with a small collection of combos that require no thought or skill to use against enemies that have almost no artificial intelligence. They all stand around listlessly waiting to be cut down, and almost all the bosses can be beaten in one hit if you save up the game's other special move for the encounter.

...are they really wrong? I like the grindy and repetitive combat but I can easily see why others would find it boring. I mean, it's telling that nearly every review of a Musou game these days includes some variation of "if you're not a Warriors fan this one won't change your mind".

Kinsei

Banned
Just looked at Hyrule Warriors scores. This seems like its gonna be about 5 points off from that, so its clear Im probably gonna enjoy it. Hopefully the season pass is as good as Hyrule Warriors.

There are 3 characters and 3 history maps per pack. It's safe to assume the season pass will be worth it unless the DLC characters end up being clones.

Really solid reviews, apart from the Metro one which was entirely expected for people who read their stuff on the regular.

My copy was dispatched today so I'll get it tomorrow which is great!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I've enjoyed HW, but apart from the love one person can have for one universe over another, this is a better game.

ToonLink

Hmm, I think I will end up enjoying it a lot. I just don't have the time to play it at the moment, unfortunately. I'll probably pick it up early next year.

Does Metro have a single game reviewer or multiple people? Everything is nameless when it comes to an author, and they're more harsh overall than most reviewers it seems:

For 2,434 reviews, this publication has graded:
15%higher than the average critic
3%same as the average critic
82%lower than the average critic

Regardless, I dumped a few hundred hours into Hyrule Warriors so I'm all in on this if it has the potential to one up it. I might wait a month or two with Odyssey and all these damn Amiibo looming over my wallet ready to pounce though.

Has the gamespot reviewer played awakening and fates

Most people like the stories and characters of these games.

Imagine the reaction if sites let people write reviews for games like Destiny 2: "I don't like FPS, so 4/10". Being a niche genre doesn't excuse this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
GameKult : 7/10

Basically they said it would be injust to snob this game just because it's a musou, and you'll have to think streategically unlike previous warriors entries!

I confirm this too. you actually have to think strategically in terms of weapons triangle relationship, affinity warriors, environmental events and so on

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've enjoyed HW, but apart from the love one person can have for one universe over another, this is a better game.

Can you explain what makes this one better? Or point me to a review that doea a direct comparison between Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors? HW is one of the only Musou games I've played, so how they compare is interesting to me.

commish

If you love Fire Emblem but hate musou games you might read reviews of FE:W to see if it's different enough from other musou games for you to enjoy. Having a review by a person that hates musou games is valuable in that situation.

True, I see the value when it's using another IP. I wouldn't think the Fire Emblem IP is that strong but perhaps it is nowadays, especially after the success of Heroes.

I'm a big Musou fan but I find it hard to get too upset by reviewers who don't like it. When Metro says something like this...

...are they really wrong? I like the grindy and repetitive combat but I can easily see why others would find it boring. I mean, it's telling that nearly every review of a Musou game these days includes some variation of "if you're not a Warriors fan this one won't change your mind".

These days? That's been the review byline for years and years :) It's very true, but that's the nature of the genre. It's not really my cup of tea.

Christian

That Metro review is hilarious. I don’t even know that website, but come on. This “series” has been ongoing for almost two decades, and people clamor for their different licenses crossovers. Clearly, people get enjoyment out of them.

Top Bottom