• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protester hugs Nazi outside Richard Spencer talk, asks 'Why do you hate me?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
cURKDdjl.jpg

A man wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with swastikas on Thursday was surrounded by a crowd of protesters who screamed, punched and spat on him before Aaron Courtney gave him a hug.

Courtney, a 31-year-old high school football coach in Gainesville, yelled, “Why don’t you like me, dog?” as he wrapped his arms around the Nazi in a video that quickly went viral on social media.

The Nazi was later identified as Randy Furniss.

Courtney, who spent nearly four hours protesting on Thursday, was getting ready to leave when he saw Furniss causing a commotion among the other demonstrators.

“I had the opportunity to talk to someone who hates my guts and I wanted to know why. During our conversation, I asked him, ‘Why do you hate me? What is it about me? Is it my skin color? My history? My dreadlocks?’” he told the Daily News.

But the man simply looked off into the distance and brushed off his questions as Courtney pleaded with him and grew increasingly upset.

“After beating around the bush, and avoiding my questions, I asked him, I pleaded with him, I almost broke out in tears, growing increasingly angry because I didn’t understand,” he said.

Citing the teachings of his father, who is a bishop, Courtney told the Daily News, “Something in me said, ‘You know what? He just needs love. Maybe he never met an African-American like this.”

And so he told the Nazi to give him a hug. And despite some initial resistance, Courtney said, “I reached over and the third time, he wrapped his arms around me, and I heard God whisper in my ear, ‘You changed his life.’”

The crowd around them immediately reacted and when Courtney pressed him again, asking “Why do you hate me?” Furniss finally answered, “I don’t know.”

More at: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/protester-hugged-nazi-pleads-hate-article-1.3575977

Give me a hug if old

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Maybe the nazi was just scared shitless of the angry crowd surrounding him.
I'd hug him too. With a fist.

But props to the guy for taking the different route.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What a guy. Here's hoping he was able to chance at least one person's mindset.

Shadybiz

Saw this on the news. Good on Courtney for trying to get through to these fucks.

They also said that the white supremacist was later punched by another protester...not that I disagree with that.

Mathieran

Banned
That guy got punched and hugged by the same group of people. He also doesn't know why he hates black people. Lot of confusion in that guy's life apparently.

Africanus

If he gets through to him, great, but Indetest the people saying “SEE this is how you protest”.
The man could have easily stabbed him or sue him for harassment.

The crowd around them immediately reacted and when Courtney pressed him again, asking “Why do you hate me?” Furniss finally answered, “I don’t know.”
I'm not black or white or American and I have tears in my eyes from reading this.

PixelatedBookake

I get the sentiment, but this comes off as naive and corny to me. They are Nazis bruh. You think a black man hugging them will change their minds? If hugs are their opposition you are basically bringing a rubber chicken to the Vietnam War. His actions are really underselling the dangers of Nazis. Also will be used as "black role model for protesting" by conservatives.

Mesousa

Banned
I get the sentiment, but this comes off as naive and corny to me. They are Nazis bruh. You think a black man hugging them will change their minds? If hugs are their opposition you are basically bringing a rubber chicken to the Vietnam War. His actions are really underselling the dangers of Nazis. Also will be used as "black role model for protesting" by conservatives.

bu..bu but "GOD" told him he changed his life.

Are you suggesting this guy is making things up to satisfy his own need to be accepted by Dwight Mann?🤔🤔🤔🤔

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
The phones, cameras and social media make it somewhat disgusting to me. A beautiful moment dissolved somewhat. There's a thin slimmer of hope that somewhere another guy might see this and question themselves but the quest for "likes, favourites and retweets" has watered down these moments for me for some reason.

I'd like to think this helps. But I imagine that nazi dude just going back to his room and reading more hatred on the websites he visits and continue being a nazi.

It takes a lot of strength to do something like this. Certainly not the way I would react but you have to hope that it might make a difference.

Too bad he'll be shat on by cynical edgelords and told he's protesting the "wrong" way...

bu..bu but "GOD" told him he changed his life.

Are you suggesting this guy is making things up to satisfy his own need to be accepted by Dwight Mann?🤔🤔🤔🤔

Oh, hi.

Enzom21

Yeah this is meaningless to me. That dude isn’t going to stop being a nazi because a person he hates hugged him.

This is nothing more than a feel good story for all of those moderates that keep telling us to meet racists halfway.

Yeah this is meaningless to me. That dude isn’t going to stop being a nazi because a person he hates hugged him.

This is nothing more than a feel good story for all of those moderates that keep telling us to meet racists halfway.
It's kind of pathetic and horribly offensive that you're willing to erase this guy's agency and diminish what he's doing to a "feel good story for moderates".

He's a good dude! Sometimes this will work better, sometimes not, everyone is different and will react differently, nazi included!

Do people here believe that deep down nobody can change their way of thinking?

My father was a big xenophobe (with racism included) when we grew up, but we always talked about that to him, from when we were teenager to today, he's 65 now but i can say for sure he's not a racist anymore, he changed a lot, simply because we, his children, talked to him and showed him a different way of thinking

Maybe it will work with some people, but i don't think punching him would have helped in his case!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I love stories like this because in a better world Id like to think he changed that Nazi’s perspective with a single hug...but that’s pretty naive.

That Nazi probably fell right back to hating anyone who isn’t pure blood Arien an hour later..or even if the event did make him question his hate..he’s unlikely to display any change of heart among all his Nazi buddies as that would be ‘weak’ and ‘traitorous’.

sub_o

Maybe the nazi was just scared shitless of the angry crowd surrounding him.
I'd hug him too. With a fist.

But props to the guy for taking the different route.

The problem with punching him, is that it will breed more hatreds among him and his cohorts.

Unless of course you're talking about fisting, that depends.

KayMote

I'd argue a Nazi isn't going to stop being a nazi just because he got punched.

This is truly touching and summerizes my idealized position that maybe... just maybe... we shouldn't just beat the crap out of each other.

TarNaru33

Banned
It's kind of pathetic and horribly offensive that you're willing to erase this guy's agency and diminish what he's doing to a "feel good story for moderates".

He isn't wrong though, despite you feeling it as offensive. Unfortunately every action has a consequence and this may have the "see we can compromise and teach them with love". Yeah, you can probably rehabilitate some Nazis with that type of action, but most of them are full on extremist. That is what this picture will be used for, for people who have no true stake in this issue.

EDIT: Example is above my post lol

This is not to say you should just hug every person that claims to be a Nazi, but I can attest that there are a lot of people that truly are ignorant of the world and have accepted a view based on incomplete experience.

Growing up in the South, I had a LOT of people that I considered friends that went crazy for awhile. It was heartbreaking to see, but I've seen them grow out of it as they became more rounded. Maybe not entirely (dunno) but enough insight that brought them back to reality.

gdt

Sorry. Does nothing for me. That’s a strong back dude but he’s just gonna get used up by people to shame anyone who doesn’t want to get along with Nazis.

Enzom21

It’s offensive that this will inevitably used to silence people who have no desire to try to be nice to or change a racist’s mind.
The people who love stuff like this and like to bring up Daryl Davis are usually people who aren’t on the receiving end of the hate from white supremacist.

Edit:

This is truly touching and summerizes my idealized position that maybe... just maybe... we shouldn't just beat the crap out of each other.
Yep, this is just what I am talking about. “You need to hug the people that hate you, not punch them.”
Nah I’m good.

kinggroin

Banned
I can't believe some of you have found a way to shit on this.

Toxic as all fuck.

Sure it isn't the cure, but let's revel in some small humanitarian victories for a few minutes.

It’s offensive that this will inevitably used to silence people who have no desire to try to be nice to or change a racist’s mind.
The people who love stuff like this and like to bring up Daryl Davis are usually people who aren’t on the receiving end of the hate from white supremacist.

Sorry. Does nothing for me. That’s a strong back dude but he’s just gonna get used up by people to shame anyone who doesn’t want to get along with Nazis.
So take it up with those people. Why let them influence your perspective of the moment itself? It's not diminished because assholes will co-opt it.

Betty

Banned

It's a great fantasy, but when most Nazi's react to a hug or a handshake with violence, it becomes a pipe dream.

We can't be pacifists to the end when the opposition yearns for destruction and death.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is meaningless to me. That dude isn't going to stop being a nazi because a person he hates hugged him.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. If this dude wants to hug a nazi, that's his prerogative, but he very likely didn't change that piece of shit's opinions at all and all it did was create a photo op for nazi apologists to abuse.

I still offer no empathy or sympathy to any shitbag whose whole ideology revolves around wanting to terrorize, harm or kill people simply because they're not white.

It's offensive that this will inevitably used to silence people who have no desire to try to be nice to or change a racist's mind.
The people who love stuff like this and like to bring up Daryl Davis are usually people who aren't on the receiving end of the hate from white supremacist.

Edit:

Yep, this is just what I am talking about. ”You need to hug the people that hate you, not punch them."
Nah I'm good.

Just an FYI, that dude doesn't post in good faith.

Enzom21

So take it up with those people. Why let them influence your perspective of the moment itself? It's not diminished because assholes will co-opt it.
Because once again, this little moment does nothing but make the people who aren’t on the receiving end of a Nazi’s hate feel good.
That nazi is still going to hate me and every other black person and no amount of unwanted hugs will change that.

Ferr986

I mean, props to him and I applaud everyone that tries to do so.

But saying "y'all should do this" is wrong and immoral. You can't ask the targets of harassment and violence that they should also be the ones approaching the ones that wants them dead.

KayMote

Edit:

Yep, this is just what I am talking about. “You need to hug the people that hate you, not punch them.”
Nah I’m good.

Well. this guy WAS at the recieving end of the hate from white supremacist, and he still decided to stand against violence.

Moosichu

How? When the core ideologies of one side include deathcamps and eugenics? Being a Nazi isn't something you are born with, it's a deliberate choice to want to instill a fascist regime.

Intolerance shouldn't be tolerated.

Well. this guy WAS at the recieving end of the hate from white supremacist, and he still decided to stand against violence.

Peaceful protest and resistance can, and does work. But not always. This story doesn't even say if anything has been achieved, have we gotten any signs that this Nazi has changed their ways?

What about WW2, when the Nazis got a lot of power, would you have recommended non-Nazis give them hugs back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom